Will bump stocks be deemed illegal by Congress

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,551 Senior Member
Thoughts on bump stocks, does congress outlaw them? Will the NRA support it or fight it. Could the NRA see this as something they can support or a key to Pandora's box and fight it? My thoughts the NRA will go along with banning them.

Thoughts?
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,042 Senior Member
    Yes, they will be banned. The NRA won't defend them. Giving ground to hold the hill. We'll be lucky if that's all that Congress bans.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,568 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    Thoughts on bump stocks, does congress outlaw them? Will the NRA support it or fight it. Could the NRA see this as something they can support or a key to Pandora's box and fight it?

Thoughts?
    BATF says they are legal. I guess it's up to them. Congress as always will be posturing for votes. It looks like the Las Vegas shooter had a perfect storm situation with 20,000+ packed together targets which made "spray and pray" work. Anyone with proper military training Knows full auto is suppressive fire to keep enemy heads down. It allows advance on the enemy position or retreat from the enemy position. Single aimed shots kill the enemy.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Until this mass tragedy I never even heard of one nor am I even sure how they work. Never seen anyone here post a look at my new bumpstock thread. Unless there's a big market for these escaping my self centered attention, seems like the NRA will let them slide away.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,258 Senior Member
    For a more accurate, controllable method of rapid fire the "hellfire" and similar hand crank attachments make a lot more sense, and can be attached and removed in a matter of seconds. Bumpfire stocks are inherently inaccurate ways to burn up a huge volume of ammo, and unless the target situation is an ideal one like the Vegas shooter had, it would be difficult to hit much of anything. A bipod and a hellfire crank would be a much more accurate choice for rapid fire.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,555 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Until this mass tragedy I never even heard of one nor am I even sure how they work. Never seen anyone here post a look at my new bumpstock thread. Unless there's a big market for these escaping my self centered attention, seems like the NRA will let them slide away.

The general public had never heard of them either. This has become the "new" ugly black feature vilified by the press and anti gun establishment.

Barrel shrouds, flash suppressors, fore grips, detachable magazines, and now bump stocks. Make it sound scary and demand a ban.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    I predict the bumpfire stocks and hellfire-like devices - anything that simulates full auto fire will be banned either by the Congress or the BATF....no great loss in my world because I thought they were stupid in the first place...however, while it might shut them up for awhile, it will also encourage them to go further....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    If they get this, they will think they have momentum. They'll never stop pushing...until we push back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ayn Rand
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    What’s going to happen when the idiots find out that civilians own true full auto firearms made prior the 1986 Hughes Amendment? Yeah, I know there aren’t a huge number and they are expensive but they are out there and the AFT knows who has them and where they are. So what will those idiots who keep saying it is illegal for civilians to own them do if they do learn that fact? I know of a couple true M16s, MP5s, a set of Lightening Links and 1919 just off the top of my head ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,762 Senior Member
    I expect the bump fire stocks to be banned, either by an act of Congress, or a new 'finding' and letter from the BATFEIEIO. If Congress has the momentum and votes then they can pass a bill that both bans and confiscates the stocks and other 'trick trigger' devices. There's probably more than enough weak kneed jellyfish on the R side of the aisle in House and Senate to make that bill a law, too.

That silly two 10-22 'Gatling gun' thing hasn't been brought up, mainly because Dianne Frankenstein and Company probably don't know they exist. SSSSHhhhhhhhhh! Don't let the cat out of the bag!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 343 Member
    Congress won't do it, too controversial, especially when ATFE can be used as the fall guy. They reverse the Obama era ruling that they are legal and all must be turned in immediately, and the company must turn over it's customer list. No need for Congress Critters to risk upsetting voters; they'll just point to ATFE, whining, "they did it, and if you donate to my campaign, I'll work to change that next term!"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    What’s going to happen when the idiots find out that civilians own true full auto firearms made prior the 1986 Hughes Amendment? Yeah, I know there aren’t a huge number and they are expensive but they are out there and the AFT knows who has them and where they are. So what will those idiots who keep saying it is illegal for civilians to own them do if they do learn that fact? I know of a couple true M16s, MP5s, a set of Lightening Links and 1919 just off the top of my head ...

Around here it's mostly bankers and doctors that have class 3 licenses and full auto guns. I know one working man, my buddy Pat, who has a full select fire M-14 and a class three license. But you gotta know pat.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,762 Senior Member
    Armoredman wrote: »
    Congress won't do it, too controversial, especially when ATFE can be used as the fall guy. They reverse the Obama era ruling that they are legal and all must be turned in immediately, and the company must turn over it's customer list. No need for Congress Critters to risk upsetting voters; they'll just point to ATFE, whining, "they did it, and if you donate to my campaign, I'll work to change that next term!"

I didn't think the GCA '68 had a snowballs chance in hell of being passed, but it did. The Congresscritters smell blood in the water, and they're gonna show us who's boss. I'd be highly surprised if they don't pass the bump fire stock ban and add a few goodies to go with it.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Around here it's mostly bankers and doctors that have class 3 licenses and full auto guns. I know one working man, my buddy Pat, who has a full select fire M-14 and a class three license. But you gotta know pat.

We used to have member here, lived in Texas. Was a pilot, very humorous and smart fellow. Had a class three stamp.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    I think they are going to be toast. Like it has been said, banning them will not prevent anyone determined to commit mass murder and terrorism, but politicians are going to probably do something just to say they did something. Now if they were smart, they would tack that onto the Hearing Protection Act. I don't want to see an inch of our rights given up by these turds, but bump stocks are hard to justify-- not very useful for hunting, SD, HD, or target shooting. Not that I am saying there should be a need to justify anything, but there it is.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    Co-worker is on their sight and it says that they have temporarily suspended sales.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,050 Senior Member
    Just an FYI, but Feinstein's introducing a bill that will ban the sale and possession of bump stocks. That seems to indicate they won't be grandfathered in. Another question is... what will be done if bill passes and one turns in their stock? Will they be compensated?

“It shall be unlawful for any person to import, sell, manufacture, transfer or possess, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, a trigger crank, a bump-fire device or any part, combination of parts, component, device, attachment or accessory that is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semiautomatic rifle but not convert the semiautomatic rifle into a machine gun,”

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/sen-feinstein-introducing-bill-ban-bump-stocks-vegas/story?id=50276506
    Overkill is underrated.
    Just an FYI, but Feinstein's introducing a bill that will ban the sale and possession of bump stocks. That seems to indicate they won't be grandfathered in. Another question is... what will be done if bill passes and one turns in their stock? Will they be compensated?

“It shall be unlawful for any person to import, sell, manufacture, transfer or possess, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, a trigger crank, a bump-fire device or any part, combination of parts, component, device, attachment or accessory that is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semiautomatic rifle but not convert the semiautomatic rifle into a machine gun,”

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/sen-feinstein-introducing-bill-ban-bump-stocks-vegas/story?id=50276506

You know damn well she didn't write this bill in the last few days. This offal was written years ago and dusted off at the right opportunity.

Ayn Rand
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    You know damn well she didn't write this bill in the last few days. This offal was written years ago and dusted off at the right opportunity.
    You think she's lying when she said she hadn't heard about bump stocks until this week? Her and Pelosi both? You're accusing some esteemed public servants of lying? I'm shocked and chagrined at your allegations....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,663 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,663 Senior Member
    by the way, does the term "Bump Stock" annoy the hell out of anyone else? It's a bump fire stock!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    I suppose belt loops will be banned next...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    by the way, does the term "Bump Stock" annoy the hell out of anyone else? It's a bump fire stock!
    No more than "clips"!
    I just watched a news video demonstrating a bump fire stock installed on an AR type rifle. Impressive! It was followed by a "former" BATF agent stating that possession of the stock is legal but installing it is an illegal modification. (NFA)? It is my understanding BATF determined the stocks were legal because the trigger was still pulled for each shot. Of course we are experienced with BATF agents thorough knowledge of the laws they enforce. lol I just now heard a newscaster state that the stocks are perfectly legal. I already posted this in the other thread but it fits as well or better here.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    Well I happen to own one of those, and used it at 2 SE shoots. The only reason I bought the damn thing is I get a thrill out of shooting "full auto." It's nothing more than a toy to me, but if these congressional bastards outlaw it or allow the BATF to do so, I will consider it to be the next step down the slippery slope to further restrictions, and start taking my anger out at the voting booth. I'm sick of whiny commie-liberals using lies to get their way all the time.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    We all think Congress will passed Feinstien’s bill but as stated earlier by someone the ATF can rescind it’s letter as they did with the 10-22 stock. That 10-22 decision stated the stick owners needed to deactivate the thing and send in a spring or something ... there was no grandfathering. If the ATF pulled their approval of the bump fire stocks like Slide Fire and Bumpski I would guest there would be no grandfather clause either ... they’d basically be a no-no immediately. I like most others think one way or the other so if the ATF did so would that possibly take triggers like the Fostech Echo or such out of their sights? I personally have no skin in the bump fire or binary trigger game so ATF doing it or the Congress doesn’t matter except if the ATF does it there is 1 less law regarding firearms on the books ... and heck Trump could even say he personally spoke with the head of the ATF and asked them to look into the matter ... not reserve their decision just “look into the matter” and maybe steal a little credit from the lefties.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    Sorry for the jack but how does a trade sound, suppressors & national reciprocity for bump fire?
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    Sorry for the jack but how does a trade sound, suppressors & national reciprocity for bump fire?

If it were a done deal, I'd vote for it.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

Like finding a unicorn. With this event the left will not trade jack for anything. I should not say it and curse it but there will be other bills from Feinstein and friends on other firearm points ... ammunition will be one ... high cap mags another ... military style weapon for sure ... they never let a tragedy go to waste.

But to your question myself, I would take that deal.
    - George Orwell
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    It would give us some leverage and give Republicans cover so they can go on record saying that they supported a bump fire stock ban (in trade for suppressors and reciprocity). Democrats can say they did something.
    Where has compromise gotten us thus far?
    Overkill is underrated.