Will bump stocks be deemed illegal by Congress

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,045 Senior Member
    Where has compromise gotten us thus far?
    This is where no compromise is going to get us...
    http://www.businessinsider.com/republicans-bump-stocks-2017-10

I think we would be better off trying to compromise for a net gain as opposed to taking it in the shorts once again.
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member

Originally written the NFA of 1934 included handguns and compromise removed it. When considering that FDR essentially neutered the supreme court at one point that might have passed as written. The sunset in the 1994 AWB's was a compromise. It may have not been a good thing in the grand scheme but it certainly disproved many assumptions regarding gun control and really served to change public opinion in our favor.

I'm not saying any of this is a plus in the overall of 2A rights, it is just reality.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,045 Senior Member
    OK, so the **** in congress will cave. That only means the **** will no longer get my votes.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    OK, so the **** in congress will cave. That only means the **** will no longer get my votes.
    ...until the next election.

Party over country! Go Red Team.
    cpj wrote: »
    I'll ride to DC on my purple unicorn when it happens.
    1. Dems won't compromise.
    2. Republicans won't have the balls to offer the compromise.

Like every other so-called compromise, democommies will get their way and rebutlickans lose theirs.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    Bumpfire for suppressors? EVERYDAY of the week.
    You really think they'll do that? I see your response to Jerm, so I know your answer.

Same with sunset provisions: I believe the antis have learned their lessons and won't allow anything in a bill that will expire. Instead repeal will have to come through declaring it unconstitutional or full legislative repeal. Kinda like we're seeing withe the Affordable Care Act.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Like every other so-called compromise, democommies will get their way and rebutlicans lose theirs.
    Yep. And the political landscape has changed, both with who's in control and how the message is distributed. I'm less than confident that what kinda worked before will work now.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I'll ride to DC on my purple unicorn when it happens.
    1. Dems won't compromise.
    2. Republicans won't have the balls to offer the compromise.

I do not think they need dem votes to pass something like this, at least not many. The compromise I envision is two fold to provide a CYA to the jelly-spine RINO's as well as a CYA for conservatives if all the 2A orgs could get behind it.
    Yep. And the political landscape has changed, both with who's in control and how the message is distributed. I'm less than confident that what kinda worked before will work now.
    I think I warned about that before the last election.

Yeah, when the first AWB was passed, at least rebutlickans had some balls. Now they're ball-less, gutless and brainless.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,544 Senior Member

As far as I can tell, we've never compromised, per the definition of the word. We just give, and give, and give.

I cannot recall ever getting something after surrendering something else. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I think I warned about that before the last election.
    You weren't the only one...
    Overkill is underrated.
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, we've never compromised, per the definition of the word. We just give, and give, and give.

I cannot recall ever getting something after surrendering something else. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe you're absolutely right. Democommies demand something and rebuttlickans give it to them. Maybe not in total, but they get at least the major items of what they wanted.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    CaliFFL wrote: »

We gave up part of our rights but got to keep an abridged version of liberty. So we didn't get a total removal of freedom.

Yay.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I believe you're absolutely right. Democommies demand something and rebuttlickans give it to them. Maybe not in total, but they get at least the major items of what they wanted.
    Do ya realize why some of us think no matter who's in power, the people are going to get at least somewhat hosed? We get told the three biggest lies after each election....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,715 Senior Member
    Here's Dianne Frankenstein's introduced bill. I took note that it exempts Fed and State governments from the effects of the bill. Color me surprised.

https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/a/7/a7493ca2-0cd7-416a-8d1f-929d89e71572/0141802AFBB99AC5EA299D5B71B98A52.automatic-gunfire-prevention-act.pdf
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,065 Senior Member
    Armoredman wrote: »
    ...and all must be turned in immediately, and the company must turn over it's customer list.

Turn them in at the nearest Gestapo branch headquarters. Sieg Heil!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    We gave up part of our rights but got to keep an abridged version of liberty. So we didn't get a total removal of freedom.

Yay.

Damn that hurt. The truth, I mean.

Ayn Rand
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member

Why do you think this happens Noel? I think you already know. TMR, Too Many RINOs. We need more senators and Representatives like Ted Cruz. Also, though I disagree with him a lot, Rand Paul is a man of his word. He can be a butt head, but you can take what he says to the bank as being true. I think Cruz is a little more apt to compromise if he thinks it will help the cause. But Rand is honest I believe. Whatever, we need more like both.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    If we have to give something up let it be things like bump fire stocks. When I first saw one I thought now at some point that's gonna become a problem. Technically speaking it doesn't actually make the AR a full auto, but in truth it accomplishes that end. You can say it's not accurate in this mode, but the use of it just contributed to the slaughter of 59 people and injured around 500 more. So it is an issue. In affect it made those ARs into full auto weapons. No matter what we think, it's what the masses think. I fear we are outnumbered on this.

I say all this knowing full well you can't appease these a-holes. You give em an inch they want a million miles. And every time they think they win a battle it emboldens them and they want more. And they will continue to want more until the Second Amendment and any hint of gun rights for the common man and or woman are long since history.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,525 Senior Member
    and the NRA is saying OK, or is it their way of putting on the BATFe's shoulders? NRA calls for federal review of 'bump stock' devices like those used in Las Vegas shooting

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/nra-calls-for-federal-review-of-bump-stock-devices-like-those-used-in-las-vegas-shooting/article/2636652
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    The NRA is nothing more than an extension of the Republican party anymore. They stopped looking out for gun owners and started looking out for Team Red the last election.
    I think before that.

If I remember Scott Mayer said that when he worked at the NRA they didn't allow their own people to conceal carry while at HQ. In a state where such behavior was legal....

OTOH, I remember being told that the Republican Party is my only chance to ensure my gun rights are protected by such stalwart defenders as Mitt Romney and George W. "I'd have signed an AWB extension" Bush...
    Overkill is underrated.
    They had some credibility back then, but were quickly headed to becoming Republican stooges. They finally jumped the shark with their endorsement for president last year-- just like the Nobel Peace Prize became meaningless when they gave it to Obama for "future accomplishments". Like when the NAACP made themselves impotent when they quit looking out for black people and became stooges for the Democrats, the NRA did the same with Republicans.
  • JamesAPrattIIIJamesAPrattIII Member Posts: 152 Member
    I would like to point out the LV shooter was a multi millionare he could have bought a real machine gun legally or have a semi-auto fire converted to full auto or even bought an illegal full auto firearm. He also had enough money to get a SFPD CCW like Feinstein has. I should point out that many MG and SMG were brought home by returning servicemen from wars and were never registered and are still out there. There was a real AK-47 used at the 1973 Wounded Knee standoff. There is a picture of this online. After the Congressional shooting earlier this year there was talk of a National Reciprocity since the way things are in America there could be another Congressional shooting in the next few years and this might keep a few of them alive.
    I should also point out that firearms tourism is big in Nevada. I don't know how the UBC law will hurt or kill it but more gun control may kill it and that will cost the state Billions.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,715 Senior Member
    NRA didn't stop the worst parts of GCA '68, they didn't stop the worst parts of FOPA of 1986, and they likely will not stop the add on crap of the Feinstein bill if it gains steam. Compromise ONLY works when the two parties of the compromise have the well being of the other party always in mind. In politics, this is never the case; never has been and never will be. Hang on because the ride may get a bit bumpy, again.

Two animals come to mind that would represent a Congressional compromise, the camel and the wildebeest. The camel is the Compromise Horse agreed to by the Transportation Committee, and the wildebeest is the Compromise Cow agreed to by the Congressional Committee on Agriculture. See the problem here?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• ranger 869ranger 869 New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey Guys, Without getting in the middle of all of this conversation, it just seems that the swamp is going to do or say whatever it takes to keep themselves in the mix. BTW, did you see the morning CNN news about the bump stocks. In their discussion and show and tell they demonstrated a SAW in full as being a Bump stock. Always on top. Go figure.
    The National Rifle Association wants the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to review whether "bump stocks" comply with federal law, and the organization believes the devices should be subject to further regulations.

"Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law," the statement reads.

"The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."

"Bump stocks" are devices that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire at similar rates as automatic weapons. The devices allow the recoil of a rifle to cause the gun to essentially fire itself as long as the user continues to hold down the trigger.

This is why you never join an organization for life. Make them earn your member dollars.

Ayn Rand
    Jermanator wrote: »
    ...until the next election.

Party over country! Go Red Team.

Don't be so sure. Gun rights are important to me, and I have one of those scary bump-fire stocks.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT: