7mm-08 M48 Speer 145gr Hungting load

beartrackerbeartracker Senior MemberPosts: 3,116 Senior Member
Post removed

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,006 Senior Member
    That's an excellent hunting bullet, I use it in my 7mm-08.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,225 Senior Member
    Your experience with the AccuBond in 7mm-08 mirrors mine. I could get excellent accuracy in the low to mid 2700 fps range, but get close to 2800 fps and things went south fast. Like you, I have also found that in the majority of my guns, traditional cup-and-core bullets will outshoot bonded core bullets, especially at higher velocities. I have no clue why. Maybe it's just luck, but it's what I find, too. I have also had excellent luck with the Barnes TTSX bullet. Accuracy has been superb with this one and the one deer I took with it had the hole from hell put in it with virtually no meat damage. If you want/need to go with a monolithic bullet, the 140 grainer in the TTSX is what I would recommend.

At any rate, excellent group and excellent shooting!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    My M48 in 7mm-08 just shoots whatever I put in it. Nothing over an inch so far and I am going to move to a new hunting load for the rest of the season. I witnessed how the Accubond did but getting it over 2800fps with my level of accepted accuracy has not happened although you all saw how accurate the Accubond was in the mid 2700fps range.

So I decided to see how fast and accurate I could push a 145gr Speer SBT, keeping it under max. I used Nosler brass, RL-17, 145gr Speer SBT and 210 Fed primers and got and average velocity of 2834fps, extreme spread of 6 and a deviation of 3.74. Not shabby to get 2834fps with no pressure signs pushing a 145gr bullet out of a 7mm-08. I will use this load for the rest of the year and hope I get something to see just how this bullet does it's stuff and how it compares to the Accubond I used to take the three deer I have so far.

Here is the three shot group

7cd1f49b.jpg

Fantastic group Mike. I wanted you to give me some numbers on bullet seating depths for my .223 as you mentioned. So let me know.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Talk to Pegasus about accuracy nodes. I have done this and know it to be true. There is usually a low velocity load and a High velocity load. I found this to be true with my old .308 Win. Ruger 77 Varminter. It would get real accurate with one load I had around 2700-2750 FPS. Then above that the group would open up some. Then when it approached 2850-2900 it would tighten up even better. That was with Sierra 168 grain MKs. Of course that was with my old chronograph and I won't vouch for its accuracy. But i know it was good for a trend and the low load was with approximately 42 grains of IMR 4350 I think if memory serves me right. And the high node was with about 45 grains of the same, I think. It's hard to remember those numbers 20 years after the fact when my notes are no longer here.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,225 Senior Member
    Man, this is a cat in recoil compared to what I have been shooting. I forgot how easy they shoot, because it has been 20yrs since I owned my Custom Sako in 7mm-08 and my Ruger Mk II.

The 7mm-08 is one of my favorite rounds. I value a gun that will get the job done without beating me to hell and back. I find that the older I get, the less I like recoil. The 7mm-08 might be the perfect round for combining ample smack for taking big game with easy recoil.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    The 7-08 is a great cartridge.
    Good shooting as always Mike:up:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    I've tried a couple of boxes of this. In my rifle (Remington Model 7 CDL) I never could get good groups.

I'm talking handloads here.

Maybe I'll give them another try with several different powders.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    I got this thread tagged for when I start loading for my brother's 7/08. Great info here!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    The only problem I see is that if something goes wrong in the field, there is absolutely no way you can blame the rifle or load. It kind of sucks having that guy in the mirror take the full blame.:tooth: