Move to Tennessee

AxeAxe MemberPosts: 375 Member
Wife and I are looking to relocate to Tennessee possibly due to her job. Anyone familiar with Galatin? Decent area?

Replies

• RAEIndustriesRAEIndustries Member Posts: 68 Member
    im familiar with Chattanooga and Knoxville bit great areas if your town is close to them
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Axe wrote: »
    Wife and I are looking to relocate to Tennessee possibly due to her job.

You can't leave New Jersey!!! Remember the thread a while back where your daughter said one of the reasons she won't leave New Jersey is because of family?:jester:
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,292 Senior Member
    Wife and I are looking to relocate to Tennessee possibly due to her job. Anyone familiar with Galatin? Decent area?

Galatin, TN is a small population county so it it's gonna be mostly rural, i.e. low population density. Too danged close to Nashville for me; Nashville is where the crazy folks are, and there's plenty of them. You're close to Old Hickory Lake, so if you like fishing then the opportunity is there. And Gallatin Steam Plant (TVA) is good fishing area at the outlet cooling water flow for crappie in the winter. Low crime area, with property theft a little out of line. Housing is relatively cheap, so don't do like most folks from 'up North' and not check the housing and land prices; folks will skin you down here if ya ain't careful! :tooth:

Edit to add: Hunting is good in the area, too. Small game and deer are all around that county and the ones to the North, East, and West.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Galatin, TN is a small population county so it it's gonna be mostly rural, i.e. low population density. Too danged close to Nashville for me; Nashville is where the crazy folks are, and there's plenty of them. You're close to Old Hickory Lake, so if you like fishing then the opportunity is there. And Gallatin Steam Plant (TVA) is good fishing area at the outlet cooling water flow for crappie in the winter. Low crime area, with property theft a little out of line. Housing is relatively cheap, so don't do like most folks from 'up North' and not check the housing and land prices; folks will skin you down here if ya ain't careful! :tooth:

Edit to add: Hunting is good in the area, too. Small game and deer are all around that county and the ones to the North, East, and West.

I once heard them saluted on Hee Haw. :salute:
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,016 Senior Member

Tennessee, I hear you callin' me, the home of Davy Crockett in the Hills of Tennessee...

Now get that daughter of yours to the Free State.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 375 Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    You can't leave New Jersey!!! Remember the thread a while back where your daughter said one of the reasons she won't leave New Jersey is because of family?:jester:

She's a big girl Fisheadgib, she can come visit for vacation.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    Been to Tennessee 3 times. From a foreigners point of view in my experience...............The people, once you get away from the big urban areas are polite and friendly, will go out of their way to make you feel at home, will treat you with respect if you do likewise.
    All the motels are owned by people with the surname Patel. If you are going to stay at a motel and want pancakes for breakfast, make a mess near the pancake machine and they will wave their hands in the air and speak loudly...........then tell you to sit down and they will make them and bring them to your table.
    Every year a whole bunch of yahooing rednecks invade the southern part of the state firing guns in the air, making loud explosions and generally disturbing the peaceful countryside with their rambunctious behaviour. Some of them are easily recognizable by the fact that they are wearing pink shirts and big hats. They bring food, lots of food, good food. At night they sit around a campfire in the woods and drink all manner of alcoholic beverages, some legal and some not.

If you fall asleep at the campfire they will make you regret it and take pictures of you in an embarassing pose and post them on the internet for everyone to see.
    The first rule of visiting Tennessee is NEVER be the first person to fall asleep around the campfire.
    The second rule is not to piss off the hosts wife.......You may not live to regret it. ( She will only give you one warning..........cos after she has spoken to you, one warning is enough) After you get your one warning she will treat you like one of the family for the rest of your life.

Would I move to Tennessee.............In a heart beat.

Make sure you are settled in by April 2018 and keep the week prior to and after Memorial weekend free.......

Look forward to seeing you in May next year..
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Orchidman, we are looking forward to the change from the Northern to Southern lifestyle. I have been dealing with these idiots for a very large portion of my 47 years, and the people down south are just much more pleasant. I can drink with the best, and look forward to the campfire challenge! If this transfer goes through, we will be there early next year and looking forward to the shoot.

Tennmike, if the hunting and fishing are good, I am sold already. I am looking at a bunch of properties down there, hopefully something adequate for hunting and fishing.

Snakeman, they both have good jobs and a big investment here, but they will be down for at least a visit unless we can convince them to move down eventually. We only stayed up here for our children, but the chance to relocate may be too good to pass up for all of us.
    Orchidman, we are looking forward to the change from the Northern to Southern lifestyle. I have been dealing with these idiots for a very large portion of my 47 years, and the people down south are just much more pleasant. I can drink with the best, and look forward to the campfire challenge! If this transfer goes through, we will be there early next year and looking forward to the shoot.

Tennmike, if the hunting and fishing are good, I am sold already. I am looking at a bunch of properties down there, hopefully something adequate for hunting and fishing.

Snakeman, they both have good jobs and a big investment here, but they will be down for at least a visit unless we can convince them to move down eventually. We only stayed up here for our children, but the chance to relocate may be too good to pass up for all of us.

There's opportunity for all the hunting and fishing you can stand. And if you get a little acreage with some woods, you can pretty much get all the deer hunting action you can stand. Danged deer in West TN are like mice with hooves, and just as numerous. Old Hickory is a good lake for fishing. And there is some good duck and goose hunting to be had if you're into freezing yourself to death!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

There's opportunity for all the hunting and fishing you can stand. And if you get a little acreage with some woods, you can pretty much get all the deer hunting action you can stand. Danged deer in West TN are like mice with hooves, and just as numerous. Old Hickory is a good lake for fishing. And there is some good duck and goose hunting to be had if you're into freezing yourself to death!

I like the cold, almost as much as I like to eat ducks!
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,239 Senior Member
    Wow Axe..that would be huge!

I'm praying y'all can pull it off...and the kids would soon follow. Then your grandkids would be natural born southerners!
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,380 Senior Member
    Nashville is a nice city as big cities go. I would live there if I had to live in a city and I hate cities. Traffic sucks. Mike has just been alone in the woods to long, he don't like people much. Like all cities, it has its spots to avoid but downtown is great. Great food and music. Opry Mills is probably the largest mall in the SE. Lots to do in Nashville. You don't have to go that far to be out of the city enviornment.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Do you have all of your teeth? If you do, best knock a few out first. Otherwise you would stand out like, well.... like a feller with all of his teeth. I'm not picking on Tennessee, same goes for all of the southeast states, really.

Oh yeah, what's your view on inter family relationships? Your wife needs to be no farther than 6th cousin to you. Otherwise it would just be weird.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 20,496 Senior Member
    Good on you Axel, Tenn is beautiful country, although I'm partial to Kentucky as my family is from there.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Nashville is a nice city as big cities go. I would live there if I had to live in a city and I hate cities. Traffic sucks. Mike has just been alone in the woods to long, he don't like people much. Like all cities, it has its spots to avoid but downtown is great. Great food and music. Opry Mills is probably the largest mall in the SE. Lots to do in Nashville. You don't have to go that far to be out of the city enviornment.

I like some people just fine. Just don't want to live where I can see my neighbor's house, and vice versa. And I can go across the road and set up a table, and I've got a 350 yard rifle range I can use anytime I feel the notion, and no neighbors complain about my shenanigans.....................and the occasional explosion. :tooth:

And I can watch the deer come to the spring branch and get a drink while I watch from the back porch. Country living suits me just fine! :roll2:

Buffco wrote: »
    Do you have all of your teeth? If you do, best knock a few out first. Otherwise you would stand out like, well.... like a feller with all of his teeth. I'm not picking on Tennessee, same goes for all of the southeast states, really.

Oh yeah, what's your view on inter family relationships? Your wife needs to be no farther than 6th cousin to you. Otherwise it would just be weird.

Well Buffco, that could be a problem. I'm missing a few back teef that were taken out for me with a pipe wrench, and my wife comes from another bloodline. We are ok with being strange.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Well Buffco, that could be a problem. I'm missing a few back teef that were taken out for me with a pipe wrench, and my wife comes from another bloodline. We are ok with being strange.

You need at least one front tooth missing. No one will see the others. And you married completely outside of the family?

Gah... who does that???!?? Gross. At least we know what kind of genes we're introducing to our kids.
  • Red HorseRed Horse Member Posts: 94 Member
    Axe,

Just a few other unrelated and random thoughts on a move from the NE corridor to the South.

You will have to decide (usually within 48 hrs), if you are a SEC fan or an ACC fan. Football is a religion and divisions are deep and sharply contested. If you are a SEC fan (in Tennessee) then you must immediately decide whether you are a Vanderbilt or a Tennessee fan. Any choice has consequences and "no choice" is not an option. You can at least be thankful that you aren’t thrown into the blood feud/rivalry in the states of Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina or Mississippi. The second question you will be asked (politely and pointedly) is which church you belong to. [Zorba will chime in on this]. It is not so much people being nosey (even though they are) but rather this is one of those social metrics that have evolved over the years.

Your wife will also have to get used to people opening doors for her, saying yes ma’am and generally behaving in a respectful and respectable manner. This behavior has been known to cause some women’s libbers to have seizures. A female friend of mine on the staff at Rutgers could actually not believe or understand that I said yes ma’am to every female above the age of about 16. The concept was totally foreign to her.

While salaries aren’t always the highest, the taxes are very reasonable (especially when compared to DPRNJ), land and homes are reasonably priced and the government doesn’t involve itself (too much) in a person’s daily life. And as everyone has pointed out, guns and the outdoors are not only a way of life, they are part of our DNA.

As you have probably inferred from other comments, those of us that live in the south are very fond of this place we call home. It ain’t perfect. We tend to be living stereotypes on occasion and we are the butt of many a joke. All in all I wouldn’t trade it for anyplace else in the country. Just remember urban areas everywhere are all pretty much on a downward trend. The measure of a place is the government it has chosen for itself (and the power that that government has usurped) and the quality of life one can find in the suburban and rural areas.

Good luck on your move south.
    zu Gleich

"Better is the enemy of Good"
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 466 Member
    I lived and worked in that part of Tennessee in the late '60s and liked the people and the surrounding country. It has changed a lot since then but I have been back several times over the years and still think it's a nice place to live. Nashville is close but very easy to get away from in just a short drive. I still have family in the area and they would recommend it in a heart beat. Tennessee will always be home to me and it is a beautiful state.
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    As long as all yours exes stay in Texas you’ll be fine.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,666 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »

Well if you're going there, I guess the real question is, "do you have a purdy smile"?

Been to Tenn many times on business, I like the state and folks who live there. Sounds like a nice move!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    Well if you're going there, I guess the real question is, "do you have a purdy smile"?

Been to Tenn many times on business, I like the state and folks who live there. Sounds like a nice move!

Jeff, my teeth were busted out with a piece of rebar, so my mouth aint purdy anymore. Good news is that they fixed my mouth so I will look like I am from out of state. We have been to Hendersonville, but other than that we know nothing about the state. We just want a slower and more polite lifestyle now that we are both closer to retirement.
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    As long as all yours exes stay in Texas you’ll be fine.

And they can stay there buddy!
    It will be a culture shock. People say please and thank you and mean it. They wave at you as you drive in the opposite direction. Everything is fried. Pickups out number Priuses 20 to 1. Thing is, that don't know how to play football worth a lick as they will find out this weekend.

It will be a culture shock. People say please and thank you and mean it. They wave at you as you drive in the opposite direction. Everything is fried. Pickups out number Priuses 20 to 1. Thing is, that don't know how to play football worth a lick as they will find out this weekend.

If UT Knoxville football team was as rabid as their fans, they'd have been undefeated for the last 4 decades; maybe longer! :rotflmao:

Well, they only let people with prison orange out a few times a year.

Shows how much attention you pay to UT Knoxville football. That was a running joke back in the '90s about UTK having the best football team out on probation that money could buy! :roll2:

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Shows how much attention you pay to UT Knoxville football. That was a running joke back in the '90s about UTK having the best football team out on probation that money could buy! :roll2:

Can’t be any worse than Florida State Penitentiary or Miami Juvenile ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Red HorseRed Horse Member Posts: 94 Member

But at least they can wear the same clothes all week --- Monday thru Friday - work release ; Saturday - ball game; Sunday - picking up trash on the side of the road for community service hors
    zu Gleich

"Better is the enemy of Good"