Putting down a loved pet

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 6,659 Senior Member
I just spoke to an old friend of mine. He just put down his Chihuahua, and was so broke up he couldn't talk about it for very long. He and his wife have had the dog for about 13 years, and had grown very fond of her. It hit them very hard to put her down.

I've never been that way. The hardest it ever was for me was to put down a shihtzu we had. When my first wife and I divorced, my son was 13. We had a male and a female shihtzu, and didn't want to separate them. We also agreed that the dogs should stay with our son. Since I was our son's primary care giver and he spent about 9 months of the year with me, I got the dogs.

I grew to dislike them very much. I'm not sure why. When the little male got to the point he needed to be put down, it was a very hard decision for me because I had to know in my heart it was in his best interest, and not mine. I finally came to that conclusion and had him put down.

A year or two later the female started coughing up blood, so it was pretty obvious what had to be done.

We now have a Westy, and he's like one or our kids. I'm pretty sure it will be harder for me to put him down when the time comes. I know for sure that it will be very hard on my wife.

What are your stories?
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,659 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    My wife and I get very attached to our dogs. The last two were hard loses for us because they were with us for almost 13 years each and we lost them within months. My wife’s dog was a Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) named Quigley and I had a Czech bred German Shepherd named Kalon.

Funny my wife is the more sentimental of us two but I could NOT make the decision, specially with my boy Kalon. I have never had a smarter or better trained dog that was just so eager to please me. I spent a lot of time training with him, from advanced obedience to personal protection, he had it all and he was just a great companion. Many times I just swore he understood everything that came out of my mouth including commands that I never “trained” him on. When the time came it was my wife that made the call. We spent the last few minutes of their lives holding them and telling them how much we loved them while they peacefully passed...

We are getting ready to get a new puppy early next year and my wife wants another Cattle Dog like she had last time. I know soon after that I’ll start looking for a dog for myself and though I really don’t want another GS it’ll be very difficult to not try to duplicate what I had with him. I just watched the movie Megan Leavy and I have to say I had a case of rather leaky eyes at the end...

I can't image a better name for an Australian cattle dog than Quigley.

Tell your wife, or whoever named him, well done.

I named our Westy Barkly, but he hardly ever barks.
    Jerry

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,736 Senior Member
    I think it depends on on the animal's personality.

I've put down a few over the years that were a "Thank God" kind of moment.

Others, I've had to wipe the tears away before pulling the trigger.

Not all pets are created equal.

Sophie, the cat, and queen of all she surveys, is going to have to die by someone else's hand unless it's an emergency.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,277 Senior Member
    I have been through this far too many times...l had a number of great bird dogs and even a couple of much loved cats...when the time came it was done and another piece of my heart went with them....when my current Springer goes (17 years old now) I think that's going to be it for me and dogs... don't think I have losing another one in me...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I think it depends on on the animal's personality.

I've put down a few over the years that were a "Thank God" kind of moment.

Others, I've had to wipe the tears away before pulling the trigger.

Not all pets are created equal.

Sophie, the cat, and queen of all she surveys, is going to have to die by someone else's hand unless it's an emergency.

Mike

But, on the other hand, I'm mixed. I could take her to the vet, and let them do it. Sophie would be scared.

We have, in this town, euthanasia teams that come to your house and do it for you.

Or I could do it myself, it'd be instant, and she'd never see it coming.

All these scenarios suck.

Mikw
    N454casull
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Our furry friends are better people than people. I don’t know if I’m looking more foward to the Pearly Gates or the Rainbow Bridge ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,659 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    But, on the other hand, I'm mixed. I could take her to the vet, and let them do it. Sophie would be scared.

We have, in this town, euthanasia teams that come to your house and do it for you.

Or I could do it myself, it'd be instant, and she'd never see it coming.

All these scenarios suck.

Mikw

We had the vet put down the little male shihtzu, as well as Kathy's cat. I took care of the female shihtzu myself.

When her cat died, he was dead by the time we got him to the vet. He didn't survive the ride. Kathy was very upset.
    Jerry

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 20,164 Senior Member
    We have a 20 year old cat that has only a matter of days to live. I'm really hoping she dies a natural death like the last one did. The one before that I took to the vet, and I was screwed up for days afterwards. That whole trust violation thing. If she does have to be put down, we'll have a mobile vet do it - wife told me that if I shot the cat, it would be even worse (for me) - and she's right.

That's the downside to being a "new-age sensitive kind of guy".
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba wrote: »

That's the downside to being a "new-age sensitive kind of guy".

No, that's the downside of making a hard decision ($300 for the at home service, or "lights out" on the high plains).

It sucks either way.

I know what you were trying to say, but don't beat yourself up on two fronts. I've shed more blood in my life than I can remember. But pulling the plug on a loved one has nothing to do with macho.

Mike
    N454casull
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 20,164 Senior Member
    Thanks Mike. You are, of course, completely correct.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,611 Senior Member
    Over the years I have had to put down a lot of my pets, both dogs and cats, many times i have thought of doing it myself, but never have, I take them to the vet and hold them while he puts them down. Its always been some of the worst moments of my life.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,968 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I just spoke to an old friend of mine. He just put down his Chihuahua, and was so broke up he couldn't talk about it for very long. He and his wife have had the dog for about 13 years, and had grown very fond of her. It hit them very hard to put her down.

I've never been that way. The hardest it ever was for me was to put down a shihtzu we had. When my first wife and I divorced, my son was 13. We had a male and a female shihtzu, and didn't want to separate them. We also agreed that the dogs should stay with our son. Since I was our son's primary care giver and he spent about 9 months of the year with me, I got the dogs.

I grew to dislike them very much. I'm not sure why. When the little male got to the point he needed to be put down, it was a very hard decision for me because I had to know in my heart it was in his best interest, and not mine. I finally came to that conclusion and had him put down.

A year or two later the female started coughing up blood, so it was pretty obvious what had to be done.

We now have a Westy, and he's like one or our kids. I'm pretty sure it will be harder for me to put him down when the time comes. I know for sure that it will be very hard on my wife.

What are your stories?

That's something I'm not good at. We had a cat or two that had feline lukemia and they had to be put down. Watchng the kids reaction to that got me the most. I couldn't stand to do anything that truly hurt my kids and they are still to this day very soft hearted people.

But the hardest thing for me was when my last dog died. My wife and I got divorced long distance. I came home and we both filed and went back to Malaysia and my attorney handled it all. That cost me a couple thousand extra but it was cheap when you consider my salary overseas. I was in Malaysia and soon to be ex told me that I needed to do something with the dog or she would have it put down. I called my youngest son and he and one of my daughters had her boarded at my vets.

One night the vet calls me long distance at 2 A.M. Malaysian time to tell me that my dog had died. She had been doing well and they put her out in the outside dog run that morning like they did everyday for a couple hours. He said they found her unconscious and found a dead red wasp next to her and figured it stung her and caused her to go into cardiac arrest. The vet tried to revive her for 45 minutes with no luck.

That dog was my buddy and I didn't handle losing her very well. She didn't like anybody except the family and I was her favorite. After that I swore off all dogs. I won't ever have another dog because that about destroyed me. I've got cats now. I like to have cats around down here. They kill two things I hate, Rattle Snakes and Rats. AND, I don't get as attached to a cat like I do a dog.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,767 Senior Member
    I've had dogs all of my life, until my kids were grown and gone. I had to put down the last dog, and that's it for me. I'm less sentimental about pets than most folks I know, but it's still enough of a sadness that I don't need it every 10-15 years. I like dogs and they like me, but they aren't people.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,596 Senior Member
    I do it when it needs done. I dont think its fair to the critter to scare it, take it out of its element and let someone else do it. I figure that I took responsibility for it, so it is my responsibility to make it as least traumatizing as possible.

And I hate it.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,838 Senior Member
    Have also had to go through this a few times myself. To be honest the first time I attempted to do it myself and I sat there holding this little dog with so many tears running I could hardly see.
    He looked up at me and licked my hand, and it started all over again. Just was unable to do it.
    Ended up putting him in a box and going to the vet, I just couldn't do it myself.
    Since then I have not even attempted, when the vet agrees that it is the right thing to do, we write the check for whatever it takes and put our little friend out of pain.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,371 Senior Member
    I consider myself a "dog person" but could live without owning one (Or any other pet); my wife is who REALLY loves them and so far together we've had 6.
    An old Golden Retriever we got from her sister already as a senior died in his sleep, so no big fuss about it specially from me since I never really liked that mutt.
    Freshly moved from an apartment to our current house, she got a puppy from a rescue center, but unfortunately the place was poorly managed and it was already sick with distemper and lasted a few days before having to be euthanized; felt bad for her rather than the dog since she cried a river.
    After that she got another rescued young beagle/boxer mix; lasted a few years before a brain tumor killed it in a few days, going from healthy to awfully sick in just a week...vet didn't even had time to kill it when it expired in his table; felt bad but wife, having just recently lost his father, was really shocked. Fortunately the vet was fostering a boxer/sharpei mix female that needed to be adopted ASAP and when she returned to pay the bills, took her home.

That dog is still with us, along with a ran-over critter she picked from the street badly hurt and another female mixed puppy that was shivering in front of her former work's office building (Don't get me started on the cost to return them to proper health & get them fixed). They should last for a few more years since they are just middle-aged, but when the time comes it'll be a lot harder to put them down since they've already bonded with our little daughters.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,619 Senior Member
    I liked it a lot better growing up on the farm with free range dogs and cats that knew when their time was up and would wander off to die.........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,743 Senior Member
    We're fixing to have a bleak period for a few years as our dogs are 15 and 13-1/2, our horses range from 17 to 21 years old, and even our chickens are around four years old. All of our animals are at the tail end of their life expectancy.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 866 Senior Member
    Been 3-4 yrs since I had to put my last Black Lab bitch down
    I've actually posted a photo of her and the Wirehair on the forum but cannot find it now.

She was a hunter, she was the ducks demon ,crawl over mile of broken country down here to fetch it back.
    Though she was no pointer, she would indicate deer and wallaby , the tail went up, the nose moved toward and if you didn't stop her in the first few seconds she was gone after..and so was the game.
    I loved that dog, so much that I still talk about her even though I'm hunting over another.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,615 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    We're fixing to have a bleak period for a few years as our dogs are 15 and 13-1/2, our horses range from 17 to 21 years old, and even our chickens are around four years old. All of our animals are at the tail end of their life expectancy.

Don’t give up on your horses yet, my gelding is 29 this year . He is retired from riding except from grand daughter- no chasing cattle any more , he does require supplemental feeding during the winter but is still the boss of the other horses.0f543bbeab56261d97692f6397c97cf3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk