Yeast or Cake donuts?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,971 Senior Member
Only big chain, I know of, still making yeast donuts is Krispy Kreme.

Personally, I'll take one of their yeast donuts over ANYONE'S cake donuts EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

So, how about you?
Failed to load the poll.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Me too. Took the kid to dunken cardboard once expecting doughnuts. Never again.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,348 Senior Member
    I like donuts. Yes to both. Krispy Kreme ain't all that. Locally, there is a place called Donna's. Nobody else can touch them.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,706 Senior Member
    I agree. Krispy Kreme donuts are big here and everyone I know that is hooked on them is Crazy fat.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,596 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I like donuts. Yes to both. Krispy Kreme ain't all that. Locally, there is a place called Donna's. Nobody else can touch them.
    Haven't found a good place locally. The old standby when we were in Ohio was Rod's...

They are having a bad publicity downturn in business right now. Two of their employees were living with a dead corpse in their house so they cpuld keep getting his SS checks

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    The local Krispy Kreme opened and closed in a couple of years. A Sonic opened up and they aren't doing so hot. Then there is the IHOP that is probably going to fail. The independent donut shops around here have cult followings and they are damn good. Same with coney island restaurants-- there are more per capita in Flint, Michigan than anywhere else in the world-- the burgers and dogs at Sonic will never touch them, plus they all have breakfast all day that smokes the mediocre stuff of the chains like IHOP.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,190 Senior Member
    If I could get a Krispy Kreme in needle I'd mainline them.....alas they and other pastries are no longer included in my diet....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jermanator wrote: »
    The local Krispy Kreme opened and closed in a couple of years. A Sonic opened up and they aren't doing so hot. Then there is the IHOP that is probably going to fail. The independent donut shops around here have cult followings and they are damn good. Same with coney island restaurants-- there are more per capita in Flint, Michigan than anywhere else in the world-- the burgers and dogs at Sonic will never touch them, plus they all have breakfast all day that smokes the mediocre stuff of the chains like IHOP.

IHOP needs to fail based solely based on the crappy coffee they serve...
    A "house of pancakes" that doesn't serve real maple syrup-- even as an upsell, deserves to fail. I used to bring my own to coney islands.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,983 Senior Member
    :uhm:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,409 Senior Member
    Best donuts is Carlos Donuts in Tehachapi Ca. all others are just wannabes.
    Haven't found a decent donut in ND yet, hard to find a donut shop here. Closest one is 40 miles from us and their donuts suck.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Krispy Kreme is good like Chris said when the HOT NOW sign is lit ... otherwise MEH. As to Suckin Donuts ... they are not fresh made at the stores like they were years back and just trucked in from a corporate supply and suck. The best doughnuts used to be on the Outer Banks, Duck Donuts, but they started franchising and while still good have slipped. Like Jerm said the local shops seem to have it around where I work. The trendy one now makes yeast ones about twice the size of KK’s and you custom order yours down a line kinda like Subway does subs ... at $2 a pop :yikes:! As to the cake stuff if I wanted cake there is a cupcake bakery that has about 2 dozen types of cupcakes plus a special of the day ... that’s my weakness! They have an angel food cupcake with carmel filling and cream cheese icing, if you aren’t diabetic you almost go into sugar shock ... if you are diabetic you’re dead :drool2:.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I like the cake dognuts :drool2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,079 Senior Member
    When I used to eat donuts, I got them from a little Pop bakery,(no Mom) in Tomah, Wi. The guy would come in at 3AM to start baking. Had to get there early before they sold out. Yeast++

KK's make my belly burn, way to much sugar!! DD's are no no, everything there sucks!
    I do like a weekly apple fritter from Publix Bakery, cake donuts sell out very fast there.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,706 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Never met a fresh donut I didn't like :tooth:

Almost any donut is great when it's hot and fresh.
    Owning the KK in Destin is like having a license to print money as it's in the middle of the tourist strip. I did some work for the guy a while back and he is very well off.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,183 Senior Member
    Krispy Kreme doughnuts are good or bad depending on the shop that you go to for them. There are about 4 that I know of in Chattanooga. Three are really, REALLY good, and one is mediocre. (I found the good ones by watching the Chattanooga cops!:tooth: Profiling works! :roll2:) When the light goes on in the window to announce fresh doughnuts are out of the oven, the word must go out over the radio because the Chattanooga cop cars show up like it's a hostage situation. And the three that make the best doughnuts also make very good coffee to go with them.

There are some small bake shops in Chattanooga that make some of the best doughnuts you ever put in your mouth, but they are priced accordingly. They sell both yeast and cake doughnuts, and they're all good.

I make my own doughnuts from time to time. The yeast ones that I drop in the deep fryer are a pain to make, and don't last long for some reason.:confused: I also make cake doughnuts now since I discovered the silicone baking pans for doughnuts. Red velvet ones from cake mix are pretty good. I've tried several including white, chocolate, chocolate fudge, red velvet, lemon, and German chocolate with the correct frosting. The lemon ones with real lemon juice in the homemade confectioners sugar glaze have an extremely short half life around me.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    Cinnabon

If I am taking all responsibility for my my life out of my hands, donuts are not on the menu
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,703 Senior Member
    Locally, the donut shops run by Vietnamese folks are great. They make old style yeast donuts that are light and fluffy, at least as good as the ones grandma used to make.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,777 Senior Member
    Yeast all the way. I've had a few decent apple cider cake doughnuts, but yeast chocolate doughnut is where it's at. Buckeye doughnuts in Columbus will always be my fav. Open 24 hours and right across the street from the Chem E building. Was my go to late night snack when I was up late working on problem sets.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    I'm not really sure what a yeast donut is, but I'm not a big fan of cake donuts, so I went with yeast. Truth be told, though, I don't eat a lot of donuts.

There's a number of mom and pop bakeries within a few miles of my house, and they make killer apple fritters. My wife likes their cinnamon rolls, and my grandson loves their donut holes. They also make great sausage rolls, along with other specialty items.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    What, nobody else likes to have their Cake donut (doughnut fer shush?) and eat it too on here besides me :tooth:

Or are they: olykoeks

"While food resembling doughnuts has been found at many ancient sites, the earliest origins to the modern doughnuts are generally traced back to the olykoek ("oil(y) cake") Dutch settlers brought with them to early New York (or New Amsterdam). These doughnuts closely resembled later ones but did not yet have their current ring-sized shape.[6][7][8] One of the earliest mentions of "doughnut" was in Washington Irving's 1809 book A History of New York, from the Beginning of the World to the End of the Dutch Dynasty:[9]"

" Sometimes the table was graced with immense apple-pies, or saucers full of preserved peaches and pears; but it was always sure to boast of an enormous dish of balls of sweetened dough, fried in hog’s fat, and called dough-nuts, or oly koeks: a delicious kind of cake, at present scarce known in this city, excepting in genuine Dutch families."

The name oly koeks was almost certainly related to the oliekoek a Dutch delicacy of "sweetened cake fried in fat."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,983 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I like the cake dognuts :drool2:

blueberry cake
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,822 Senior Member
    KK are "okay", but nothing extra. Winchell's suck. Never been in a Dunkin'. I second Cinnabon if I can get there just as they're coming out of the oven and intercept them BEFORE they put icing on them - I'm a cinnamon roll junkie, but never saw the sense in icing.

I don't get the cult following KK has - just like I don't get the cult following In-N-Out has. Neither is bad, but neither is particularly good either.

Best donuts come from independents - there's an outfit in Santa Cruz, Ca called Red's Donuts which is to die for...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,831 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    blueberry cake

I LOVE blueberry cake doughnuts. Local bakery also makes a chocolate cake doughnut. I usually get one of each and coffee on Saturday mornings
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,928 Senior Member
    I checked Yeast, but I love both equally. Duncan Donut was pretty good back in the day. Haven't tried them lately. We have a local here that is Fantastic. It's run by a Cambodian family that are gold start Immigrants. They go to the Baptist Church and integrated into local society like they were born here. Their donuts are out of this world. There's a whole family of cousins aunts and uncles that all have Donut Palaces. There's one in about every town around here but their stores are separate businesses. Looks like they used the same business model though because their stores all look very similar, down to the color schemes and their Donuts are very similar.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Yeast doughnuts have the consistency of bread...cake doughnuts have the consistency of (you guessed it) cake...
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,928 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »
    I LOVE blueberry cake doughnuts. Local bakery also makes a chocolate cake doughnut. I usually get one of each and coffee on Saturday mornings

Me too! The Donut Palace here does them as good as I've ever seen done. They also make sausage kolaches that melt in your mouth.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,183 Senior Member
    Since we're talking about doughnuts, I thought this true story about doughnuts, and the Salvation Army (who founded the USO), might be interesting to some of you. I found it on the MARS Special Operations Group page.

MARS Special Operations Group

19 OCTOBER 1917
    THE 1ST DONUT FRIED. The first doughnut was fried by Salvation Army (who would found the United Service Organization) volunteer women for American troops in France during World War I. The first of a group of 250 Officers and Soldiers of The Salvation Army to be posted to France to serve with General John Pershing’s American expeditionary force sailed from New York on August 12th 1917.

General Pershing was far from convinced that The Salvation Army’s presence at the Front Line would benefit his troops and at first the Salvationists were treated with total indifference. At Demange, in the American first division sector, Salvationists toiled in pouring rain to build a hut 25 feet wide by 100 feet long for the troops benefit. No one gave them the time of day, much less a hand. What swung the troops to the Army’s side was their practical example. No task was too menial, none too dangerous or difficult.

But The Salvation Army won pride of place in American hearts by a brain wave born of sheer necessity. At Montiers, after 36 days of rain, supplies were almost exhausted. Only flour, lard and sugar remained. Ensign Margaret Sheldon, from the Chicago slums made a suggestion which was to go down in history. “Why don’t we make them doughnuts?” They had no rolling pins or cake cutters and gales had blown down their tent but Salvationists thrive on challenges.

Along with Ensign Helen Purviance, Margaret Sheldon crouched in the rain to prepare the dough. An empty bottle did duty as a rolling pin and in place of a cutter they used a knife to twist the doughnuts into shape. The first doughnuts cooked over a wood fire were triumph of improvisation. On the first day they served up some 150 doughnuts. The following days batch topped 300. The traditional hole now being punched out with the inner tube of a coffee percolator.

The doughnuts made by The Salvation Army Lassies were an instant success with the troops. Some lining up for hours in appalling conditions for their daily supply. Soon the troops came to realize that even in the firing line The Salvationists would not neglect them. When Lassies like Ensign Florence Turkington crawled under shell fire to deliver coffee an doughnuts to troops in the trenches, letters praising the work of The Salvation Army began flooding back home.

Over night the bewildered lassies found themselves national heroines. Although often in great danger The Salvationists displayed tremendous courage. At Baccarat they worked so close to the German lines that they couldn’t even whisper for fear of being heard by the listening posts. The sermon that came with the coffee and doughnuts was a friendly squeeze on the shoulder.

The Doughnut became a symbol of The Salvation Army in the U.S.A. Outside many of The Army rest rooms and hostels were hung giant “doughnuts”. The Army, by selfless example, had won the hearts of a nation. At the end of the war the American people subscribed an unprecedented 13 million dollars to meet the debts incurred by The Salvation Army in its’ war work.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,460 Senior Member
    We have a chain around here, daylight donuts, except they are really just a supplier of the mix, the shop is locally owned and ran. They are very light and fluffy. I really like donuts but try to avoid them as best I can.
    We have a chain around here, daylight donuts, except they are really just a supplier of the mix, the shop is locally owned and ran. They are very light and fluffy. I really like donuts but try to avoid them as best I can.

Casey's pastries always did it for me.... especially those raspberry, cream cheese Danish.....