Yeast or Cake donuts?

2»

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    Look at these! How do you decide between cake and yeast? Double chocolate and nutty donuts are cake. The custard, jelly, date nut squares are yeast. It is like asking which testicle you like best.

http://donnasdonuts.com/donut-gallery/
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Yours or mine?
    I guess I would say... which of your own personal set of twins would you favor? I like both my boys equally and hope I will never be forced to choose between them.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,323 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    KK are "okay", but nothing extra. Winchell's suck. Never been in a Dunkin'. I second Cinnabon if I can get there just as they're coming out of the oven and intercept them BEFORE they put icing on them - I'm a cinnamon roll junkie, but never saw the sense in icing.

I don't get the cult following KK has - just like I don't get the cult following In-N-Out has. Neither is bad, but neither is particularly good either.

Best donuts come from independents - there's an outfit in Santa Cruz, Ca called Red's Donuts which is to die for...

You've just gone from Looney to certifiable. In and out should be it's own food group. Trump should force them to expand to all red States.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,898 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    You've just gone from Looney to certifiable. In and out should be it's own food group. Trump should force them to expand to all red States.

They're "Ok", but pretty much the same thing as I could get at the stock car races. They'll do in a pinch, but I'd rather go to a Carl's Jr or a Whattaburger.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    They're "Ok", but pretty much the same thing as I could get at the stock car races. They'll do in a pinch, but I'd rather go to a Carl's Jr or a Whattaburger.

Doesn't have much to do with Donuts, but next time you're at a Whataburger, try the Sweet n Spicey Bacon Burger. I can't get over them. Also get a Coffee Malt and a hot fried apple pie.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,020 Senior Member
    SIGgal wrote: »
    Not sure I really know the difference between yeast donuts or cake donuts.
    Yeast donuts are lighter and fluffier, Think yeast roll vs. a devils food cake
    consistency wise.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,599 Senior Member
    Now I'm hungry for (a non-chain) donuts. Just Googled and there is a small bakery nearby with a small selection of donuts. Maybe I'll stop on the way home from work some morning.........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,733 Senior Member
    When I was a kid, there was a local company that used potato flour to make their yeast donuts, and had kids selling them door to door on Saturday morning. They were called Spudnuts, and sold for a 10 or 15 cents a bag. I think there were four in a bag, maybe six. They were great.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,639 Senior Member

What in the world have you been smoking? Carl's jr?

Where I used to live, there was a Carl's jr. in town. It was the only fast food place in town. After a while, their burger patties began to taste like cardboard to me. I think they drown them in mayo, mustard and ketchup just to disguise that.

As for Whataburger, I couldn't wait to get back to some place that had these joints. After the move, we ate at the local joint once, and were extremely disappointed. I remember they used to be very good.

Another disappointment was Schlotzsky's. I used to love those things, but the last two times I've tried them it just wasn't the way I remembered.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Another disappointment was Schlotzsky's. I used to love those things, but the last two times I've tried them it just wasn't the way I remembered.

When I did a lot of work in the Austin area I loved Chuys and Schlotzkys. Both have sold out and gone franchising with locations up here in NC. I raved about Chuys to a lot of people and then first time I ate at one up here I was soooooo disappointed ... Schlotzkys did the same thing but not quite as bad.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,503 Senior Member
    Of the two choices, cake... but the one I choose over all others is the sour cream doughnut, preferably glazed.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    I like both. But with yeast only glazed or chocolate iced. With cake donuts I like the different variety. I don't mind the sour creme at Dunkin, get 1 every other week or so. If I'm near by, I really like LaMar's donuts, usually get the monthly special cake donut. They also make great fritters the size of a dinner plate, especially the pineapple
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    I like yeast, mainly because you can get them with cream in the middle. Those and french cruellers are deadly to me.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.