Zen in the Art of Archery...........

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPosts: 9,615 Senior Member
It's been years since I have shot a bow. Now that I have a decent sized yard and 100% safe backstop (pond), I want to get back into it. Found an old Bear Archery Polar target bow on Ebay tonite. Cheap since it has holes in it from someone adding sights. Kills the collector value, but it is a pure shooter for me. Should get here next week.

s-l1600.jpg

I still have a lot of arrows that I made stored in stepsons basement back in Ohio. Going to have to get him ship them to me.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Right purty looking draw stringer there.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,434 Senior Member
    Oh, wow - beautiful classic bow. Any plans to hunt with it or will you just shoot it for fun?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,229 Senior Member
    If I'm reading that right it's a 66" 38 lb draw weight bow. That would make a very good one for really practicing shooting. Bear built some really nice bows back before the cheap wheel and cam bows took over. That thing should be a LOT of fun to practice instinctive shooting. :up:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,615 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Oh, wow - beautiful classic bow. Any plans to hunt with it or will you just shoot it for fun?
    tennmike wrote: »
    If I'm reading that right it's a 66" 38 lb draw weight bow. That would make a very good one for really practicing shooting. Bear built some really nice bows back before the cheap wheel and cam bows took over. That thing should be a LOT of fun to practice instinctive shooting. :up:

I have always used hunting weight bows. I think 47# was the lightest. Always shot at 3D targets. Always shoot instinctive. I purposely bought a lighter and longer target bow this time because Living in Florida, I have had zero desire to hunt in the heat/bugs.........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Well, it only took 9 months but I finally shot it........ and I don't like the high wrist. Oh, well. I'll get the $$$ back on ebay.

I still have a bow at my brothers in Ohio. I know I can shoot it............
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,114 Senior Member
    I prefer a high wrist, still a nice looking bow though
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,106 Senior Member
    Shoot three of those into your mailbox, leave them there, cuts down on the solicitors
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Bow hunting carp with a target weight recurve is a ton of fun...

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,229 Senior Member
    Bow hunting carp with a target weight recurve is a ton of fun...

I use a 45# draw weight bow for that. It's a takedown bow. Lots of fun shooting carp and gar in the backwaters on the lake. Get in some shade with the boat, ease the anchor over the side, put a cushion on the motor, and sit and wait for targets to swim by.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Well....... one of the bows I left up here turned out to be one some guy out west needed to complete his collection. Did a little horse trading and ended up with a brand new recreation of the 1959 Bear Archery Kodiak................

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,521 Senior Member
    I can see where shooting archery would be relaxing... if I were able to do it better than a left handed drunk shooting a right handed bow. 

Judging by how well I sling arrows, you'd wonder if I would be able to hit a bull in the ass with a handful of sand...
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    I shoot guns left handed and bows right handed 
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,434 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    Well, it only took 9 months but I finally shot it........ and I don't like the high wrist. Oh, well. I'll get the $$$ back on ebay.

I still have a bow at my brothers in Ohio. I know I can shoot it............
    Same here.  Don't care for a high wrist or Asbell grip.  Low wrist for me all day.  Nice tradework on the one you ended up scoring.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    I just put the Polar from the original post in the mail. Found out the scrolled plate that replaces the sight plate on it was worth $100....... guy bought it just for the plate. He will put a normal sight plate in it and resell.........

Went to a shop today to try out different weight field tips (for spine). Sent a few dozen shots downrange. About 75% comes back naturally. Gonna have to practice for that 25%......