Second weekend hunting for moose

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 212 Member
So, autumn is slowly turning to winter here. Last night was first frosty night. At 8:00 a.m. we had our meeting before heading into forests. Weather was a bit crispy but beautiful. On dog's first search area there was nothing and we drove to our secondary stands. After about and hour I heard a shot where my dad was a couple hundred yards away from my place. He was still aiming at young bull we were told by the dog guy who saw it on dog's GPS sender that it was coming towards us. Dad's Tikka T3 barked again and it looked great in the back lit sun light when the gun smoke rushed out of the barrel. Dad radioed he had shot young bull and is going after it run deeper in the forest. After a couple of minutes he radioed again that bull is lying dead. I went to help him with it.
After we had gutted the moose our entourage lit fire and we took coffee break with some barbecued sausage.
Later we took third run with dog and one other guy got a calf. We collected the animals from the forest and went to slaughter house to skin two moose. It was a great, sunny day with great company. Dad was happy for his success. First moose of the season for him.
Tomorrow hunt continues.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,524 Senior Member
    Beautiful pictures. It's always a good day when you can hunt with your dad!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That's a pretty good frost. It looks like your Dad's done that a few times.:up:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,093 Senior Member
    Very nice. :up:

How did you get the moose out of the forest? I know those things are big. Was it a team effort, or did you have some sort of mechanical help?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 212 Member
    early wrote: »
    That's a pretty good frost. It looks like your Dad's done that a few times.:up:
    Yeah, 20+ something :)
    -William Blake-
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Very nice. :up:

How did you get the moose out of the forest? I know those things are big. Was it a team effort, or did you have some sort of mechanical help?

We use kinda like plastic sled and then some elbow grease and off towards the trailer. :)
    If the moose drops into something very nasty we can use sled we ATV. We try to shoot them into places where you don't have to drag them hundreds and hundreds of yards before getting into the trailer.

Some groups use this tube to drag them out

https://www.facebook.com/ylerovaniemi/videos/1341523395892804/?fallback=1
    -William Blake-
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,338 Senior Member
    Beautiful!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,093 Senior Member
    You probably already know this, but moose meat is delicious. I've only had it once. Based on that single experience, though, it's the best game meat I've ever had. I'd take it over beef, elk, deer, antelope and even prairie dog.

Kidding about prairie dog. You couldn't pay me to touch one.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,209 Senior Member
    Congrats to your dad, what caliber did he use.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,700 Senior Member
    That is very cool, our moose season has been shutdown for awhile now due todecliningpopulation, we found tracks in the clear cut from last winter so that is good, I second it that we need some gun and load data!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Congrats to your dad, what caliber did he use.

JAY

The most boring in the world. Tikka T3 in 308Win and Barnes TSX 168gr
    It's even more boring than my 30-06 :roll2:
    -William Blake-
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,426 Senior Member
    Really like the pictures. Congratulations.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.