Rebuilding a fiberglass box blind...never again

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,230 Senior Member
My neighbor had a 4'X6' box blind laying on it's side next to his property. He said it was mine if I'd hall it off. The floor was rotted out and there was a lot of fiberglass damage. However, the price was right...free and I thought heck I can fix this. My BIL was out for my oldest son's wedding and the day after we went to work on it. The sawzall made easy work of cutting the floor out. Well that was easy I said and come to find out the easiest part of the job, the real nightmare awaited us. We set it on top of a piece of plywood and traced out the new floor. Easy enough but with fiberglass damage around the bottom there wasn't really anything to attach it to. A bit of redneck engineering and we we cut and screwed a 2"X 3" frame on the inside of the blind around the floor. This made anchoring the floor to the blind a lot easier. We cut a bunch of 1/2" plywood pieces to fill in the missing fiberglass and foam and hole.

We built the stand and cemented it in the evening before. Put the blind in the bucket on the tractor and took it out the next morning and screwed it down. This is where it got interesting as I've never worked with fiberglass and bondo. Well bondo dried in minutes so had to work with small batches. I did my best filling in areas and trying to keep it as neat as possible. Next batch my neat work went out the window and did what I needed to do to fill in the gaps and holes and cover over the plywood patches as quickly as possible. I followed up with some fiberglass strips and resign.

That afternoon I went and checked out my work. It was functional and that's what counted, I didn't feel like hauling the generator out and sanding and smoothing out the areas . I chalked a few places here and there and it was tight all the way around. This morning I painted it inside and out and this afternoon gave it a redneck camo job to break up the outlines.

As i said it will be dry and functional for years to come and that was my goal. All told I have about $75.00 in materials in it. Not to bad!

Box%20blind%201.jpg

Box%20Blind%202.jpg

Box%20Blind%203.jpg
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,965 Senior Member
    Damn, that is a regular palace. You do good work.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,289 Senior Member
    Looks like a pillbox. How's the inside?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Just imagine if it had some wheels, a few cup holders, a rifle rack, a mini bar................:tooth:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,230 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Looks like a pillbox. How's the inside?

My buddy said with the camo job it looked like a WWII German pillbox. The inside it freshly painted and new carpet on the floor and sealed pretty tight. I put weather stripping around the windows though I still need to chalk a tad around the bottom corners of the windows. The last thing I've got to do and put weather stripping down the door frame which I'll do tomorrow.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,289 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Just imagine if it had some wheels, a few cup holders, a rifle rack, a mini bar................:tooth:

Roof A/C, and some tunes! :tooth:

Any pictures of the inside?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 1,998 Senior Member
    You do good work, it looks great. Got a heater in it?
    You do good work, it looks great. Got a heater in it?

Heaters, AC and kitchen sink aren't allowed, it's a hunting blind at least that's what I keep telling my wife and friends. I bet a heater finds it's way in this winter from one of our boys. Actually this is the only the second box blind I have on the ranch. All of our stands usually have a single or double elevated tripod with camo netting around them. My wife asked for one a couple years back as she doesn't like hunting in the rain even though I got her rain gear. Her box blind doubles as her quiet place to go to and read her books or bible as long as it's not too hot out.

This new box blind is in the woods at the NW corner of the ranch about 100 yards off of the main rd FM 210. We're trying to bring deer and hogs in from across the 210. Our winds are primarily from the south. Placing an open air tripod would put us up wind most of the time hunting and defeat the purpose. I thought a box blind might do the trick for this stand. I'll put the new feeder out next weekend when I pick it up as well as a game camera on it. It shouldn't take too much time for the critters to find it.

We got pounded with rain this evening so I'll check it out in the morning before church and see if it's leaking other than around the door where I ran out of weather stripping. If so I'll open it up and let it dry out and finish with the weather stripping.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,637 Senior Member
    Mr. Heater.... 10,000 BTU $50.00

mrhnf242300.jpg

Nice work!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,256 Senior Member
    Nice blind! What we have learned with out blinds is either seal them perfectly, or leave them open. You f there is a small way in, it will be full of wildlife in short order. Leave it open, and you might have a couple bugs and a mouse inside.

Besides a heater, you should put in a solar panel and a 12v battery. Get some RV lights and a USB charger and you are set
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,245 Senior Member
    I HATE FIBERGLASS ... rolling insulation, laying fiberglass or what have you! That stuff gets in your skin and itches for a day or two glad you didn’t have toooooo much work with it. As to the blind very nice just remember no matter how well you think you sealed it up critters, especially spiders and wasps, will get in it off season. All I’ll add to the list of extras is ranging the area and installing some yardage stakes for reference and you’ll be miles ahead of most.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,024 Senior Member
    You guys going hunting or you just want to book a Holiday Inn? I built a blind I could sleep in once and my idea was to go out around midnight and sleep in it. That way I wouldn't disturb the deer in the morning. Well that all went to crap in a hand basket the first time I tried it. It was sealed up just fine, but it was cold that night and I couldn't sleep. Every noise woke me up. That was a miserable night let me tell you. After that I just said screw it, I'll just disturb the deer. They will settle back down pretty quick. OH and the main reason I gave up on the idea of sleeping out there was because I didn't see jack the next morning. So Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, why suffer? Anyway, all my blinds since have been simple coverings. Just build it where I don't get wet if it rains and where the deer don't see me. If you don't de scent their gonna smell you anyway, if they get down wind of you. The advantage of a fancy blind I guess is it keeps you a bit warmer. But I've learned to dress for the occasion.

However in all fairness to your efforts, I live about 400 Miles South of you and it's not near as cold during deer season. If I lived where you do I would probably insulate the place.

:jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,001 Senior Member
    Looks good. I would use black and gray paint to draw a few crooked trees like those in the backgound, but it probably doen't matter. They will get used to it before the season opens, anyway.
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    I HATE FIBERGLASS ... rolling insulation, laying fiberglass or what have you! That stuff gets in your skin and itches for a day or two glad you didn’t have toooooo much work with it. As to the blind very nice just remember no matter how well you think you sealed it up critters, especially spiders and wasps, will get in it off season. All I’ll add to the list of extras is ranging the area and installing some yardage stakes for reference and you’ll be miles ahead of most.

Yes, I fully agree, no more fiberglass repair work for me. Stuffs a pain in the hiney parts if you ask me. As for ranging, this stand the max shot will be 75 yard. it's in a small opening in the woods in the NW corner of the ranch.
    bisley wrote: »
    Looks good. I would use black and gray paint to draw a few crooked trees like those in the backgound, but it probably doen't matter. They will get used to it before the season opens, anyway.

Great idea, the critters will get used to it with or without camo just takes a little time. My real goal is break it up so folks don't see it from the main road when the mesquite leaves are down driving down FM 210. Right now folks can't see it from the road but that will change in a month or so. Once the leaves are down I'll probably adjust the camo pattern a bit. It will never be invisible just trying not to advertise something is there.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,817 Senior Member
    Nice work, Jeff!
    zorba wrote: »
    Roof A/C, and some tunes! :tooth:

Any pictures of the inside?

Will deer come in with the Scorpions' "Rock You Like a Hurricanne" blaring in the shootn' shack? :tooth:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,032 Senior Member
    Nice ----I'd like to be able to hunt like that and not worry about rain.
    I have a need for speed
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,274 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Nice work, Jeff!

Will deer come in with the Scorpions' "Rock You Like a Hurricanne" blaring in the shootn' shack? :tooth:

Probbaly. Pre-iPhone I used to keep a boom box in the barn for my daughter to play her tunes while she mucked stalls. She’d have the thing blasting all afternoon and frequently there would be a whole herd of does in the field right behind the barn :tooth:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,245 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Probbaly. Pre-iPhone I used to keep a boom box in the barn for my daughter to play her tunes while she mucked stalls. She’d have the thing blasting all afternoon and frequently there would be a whole herd of does in the field right behind the barn :tooth:

We run a radio in the barn to keep our broodmares and yearlings entertained ... they are big George Strait fans.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell