Ned - Trump signs order allowing recall of up to 1500 pilots...

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,788 Senior Member
https://www.salon.com/2017/10/20/trump-signs-executive-order-to-draft-retired-pilots-back-into-military-service/

Trump extended the 9/11 Executive Order allowing the recall of military personnel, but it appears we are currently about 1500 pilots short. Ned might have a job again :jester:

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    I think he is exempt.............I think the first hint would be when asked the ground crew to hand turn the prop to get the engine going
    :tooth: :roll2: :roll2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    Could this have anything to do with North Korea?????
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,379 Senior Member
    Could this have anything to do with North Korea?????


    Negative. This is in response to a systemic shortage of USAF pilots. They leave the AF in droves after their first tour to go work for major airlines, even despite 6 figure bonuses in some cases. The Army is facing a similar problem to a much smaller degree, and are attempting to rectify it by offering a bonus for Active Component pilots to stay after their first tour.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    Negative. This is in response to a systemic shortage of USAF pilots. They leave the AF in droves after their first tour to go work for major airlines, even despite 6 figure bonuses in some cases. The Army is facing a similar problem to a much smaller degree, and are attempting to rectify it by offering a bonus for Active Component pilots to stay after their first tour.

    Prior to WWII, the Army Air Force stimulated enlistment by instituting a 'Sergeant Pilot' program. They sucked in thousands of smart guys who were never going to be able to attend college, washed out 3 of every 5 in primary training, and filled their need for navigators, bombardiers, radio operators, flight engineers, and mechanics. To be fair, they gained a good many outstanding pilots (Chuck Yeager and Bob Hoover, for example). Many more served in non-combat assignments in transport, ferrying, etc.

    They could do the same, today. There are many thousands of young men and women with technical aptitude and adventurous spirits who could be lured in with the promise of free education and training. If 40% of them made the grade as pilots, that would help immensely, and quite a few of the other 60% might stay on for years in important ground jobs related to flight.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,379 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Prior to WWII, the Army Air Force stimulated enlistment by instituting a 'Sergeant Pilot' program. They sucked in thousands of smart guys who were never going to be able to attend college, washed out 3 of every 5 in primary training, and filled their need for navigators, bombardiers, radio operators, flight engineers, and mechanics. To be fair, they gained a good many outstanding pilots (Chuck Yeager and Bob Hoover, for example). Many more served in non-combat assignments in transport, ferrying, etc.

    They could do the same, today. There are many thousands of young men and women with technical aptitude and adventurous spirits who could be lured in with the promise of free education and training. If 40% of them made the grade as pilots, that would help immensely, and quite a few of the other 60% might stay on for years in important ground jobs related to flight.

    In the Army they do that, we utilize Warrant Officers. The USAF has the Warrant Officer rank authorized but they don’t use it. They could model it off of the Army program and turn a lot of good enlisted troops into effective pilots.

    Alas, the modern Air Force does not seem to be very open minded.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    OOORAW
    do they issue wheelchairs with that recall?
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    In the Army they do that, we utilize Warrant Officers. The USAF has the Warrant Officer rank authorized but they don’t use it. They could model it off of the Army program and turn a lot of good enlisted troops into effective pilots.

    Alas, the modern Air Force does not seem to be very open minded.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I had a good friend that was an enlisted pilot during WWII.

    When I first joined VMCJ-2 we had about 6 or so Warrant Officers and 6 or so Staff NCOs that did the same job that I was coming on board
    to do; I learned a lot from these men.

    I, also, met the last Warrant Officer Naval Aviator, a Marine pilot, he few C-130s into Khe Sanh Vietnam for resupply during the siege.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,668 Senior Member
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,466 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

    McCain-Shootdown_clip_image002.jpg

    g_w_bush-jet.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    If you wanna attract recruits, give them victories and reward them with triumphs. The conquest of ISIS is a good beginning, but we're going to have to win another war or two, and reward the victorious soldiery with the parades and honors they will richly deserve. Nobody wants to kill or die for "foreign policy," corporations, or even our erstwhile "allies." The stakes have to be genuine, and high enough to shake off all doubt.

    Until our national leadership takes seriously the inestimable worth and priceless sacrifice of our warfighters, and only commits them to battle with total victory in mind, it will become harder and harder to flesh out the ranks.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    That's how my dad went from tail gunner to B-17 pilot program...but the war ended before he completed training.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    Negative. This is in response to a systemic shortage of USAF pilots. They leave the AF in droves after their first tour to go work for major airlines, even despite 6 figure bonuses in some cases. The Army is facing a similar problem to a much smaller degree, and are attempting to rectify it by offering a bonus for Active Component pilots to stay after their first tour.

    Yup. The SecAF did a town hall at my base and said the shortage is up to 1,600 now. Very tough to compete with the airlines.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    That's how my dad went from tail gunner to B-17 pilot program...but the war ended before he completed training.

    My dad washed out in primary training, before Pearl Harbor, and could not be a bombardier or radio operator due to partial tone-deafness (couldn't receive Morse code) and ended up as flight engineer/crew chief in Air Transport Command. He ended up with over 500 hours over the Hump and didn't make it home until November, 1945.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.