Picked up a SBE3! Got a question

splangelandsplangeland MemberPosts: 100 Member
Alright so I picked up a Benelli SBE3! yesterday, I started patterning it and my POI is probably 8" above POA. What do I need to do to correct that? It came with the shims to adjust drop but that doesn't seem too be the way to do it. I was thinking that was more for personal fit. As far as fit is concerned it couldn't be better! Just looking for ideas to correct my problem because I would rather not have to aim under waterfowl. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
0cc54ed94c271df285f8fef641db54dd.jpg

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,075 Senior Member
    It seems counterintuitive, but the shims will have impact on POI. My SBE II had the same high POI until I messed with the stock shims and I eventually got it hitting perfecty with my ammo of choice.

I plan to get a SBE III when the lefty version become available, presumably at the top of next year.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,601 Senior Member
    Depends on how you patterned it.
    If you raised the gun and aimed it carefully at a pattern board you will get a pattern that may differ from what happens if you simply face the pattern board a slight angle with the gun down.........then raise it to your shoulder and point it instinctively at the board as you slap the trigger.

Try the second method if you havent already done so and see what the results are.

Edited to add: When I pattern a new gun I make sure I am wearing the clothing I will be using when I am hunting. Hunting ducks here is normally in winter so I have multi layers of clothing on.......If I pattern a shotgun in summer with just a T shirt, I get a markedly different result.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • splangelandsplangeland Member Posts: 100 Member
    Thanks for the input, I will try it like that and see what happens! I didn't think the stock shims would change POI but I guess I'll be playing with them to see if I get can get it hitting where I'm aiming! Thanks again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 215 Member
    What Shims came with the gun? If there's a 65 like the Beretta Autos come with put it in there. When you mount the gun and look down the rib what are you seeing?
    Do you have a mid bead first of all?
    Is the Rib flat and only the back of the beads?
    Do you see a Ramp of sorts of the Rib?
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,400 Senior Member
    No matter how good it feels, if you are hitting that far off POA....it just doesn't fit....however Orchidmans advise is worth checking out.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,075 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    No matter how good it feels, if you are hitting that far off POA....it just doesn't fit....however Orchidmans advise is worth checking out.....

The good news is that if his fit is off, Benelli not only includes the shim kit, but also offers several different butt pads to achieve different lengths of pull. My SBE II did not fit properly for length of pull. When in hunting clothes, it was bad enough the the butt would catch on my clothing when I tried to mount the gun. A quick call to Benelli for the shortest pad they offered cured the problem and gave me a perfect fit.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.