Another rant about the local Toyota Dealership

2»

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    Yep, I view him with the same jaundiced eye as a politician

I doubt I even get a coupon.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    Took the car back for the service manager to see the belt, and I am surprised. He looked at the belt and said he couldn't see why "they" recommended the belt be replaced either.
    He asked if he could have the current belt to use "for training purposes" and to "fire whoever said it needed to be replaced" if he put a new belt on at no charge.

Since it's wife's daily driver, I called her and let her make the call. She said as long as they put a new one on for no charge, go for it. Service manager (SM) drove it from the oil change bay we'd used to lift it up and get a better look, into the main building, I walked in behind and stood there watching as they removed the old belt, and saw the new one before it was installed (NO I don't trust them) He looked at the old belt said, "I don't see anything wrong with it" and handed it to me to inspect. I didn't see anything either. He took it back, stapled the receipt around it and then brought the car out to me.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,126 Senior Member
    I'm glad I read this thread. Y'all have made me think. My 4Runner is due for a 5,000 mi oil/filter/tire rotation. The last time I had it done they told me that at my next oil change I would need new front brakes, and my understanding is that they typically recom-
    mend having the rotors turned, as a matter of course; SOP. Now I'm going to take the truck to my cousin's gas station and pay a reasonable fee to have the front wheels pulled and the pads and rotors inspected before I take it to the dealer's! Christ!

I know I need new sparkplugs, but the V-6 engine I have is installed in such a way that they have to remove the exhaust manifolds in order to reach the last plug on each bank. The labor charge is $310! I wonder how many miles I would have to drive with the improved gas mileage I would receive from new spark plugs in order to amortize the cost of a $310 sparkplug job! I mean, who's kidding who, here? I hate to be treated like a fool!
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,592 Senior Member
    I know I need new sparkplugs, but the V-6 engine I have is installed in such a way that they have to remove the exhaust manifolds in order to reach the last plug on each bank. The labor charge is $310! I wonder how many miles I would have to drive with the improved gas mileage I would receive from new spark plugs in order to amortize the cost of a $310 sparkplug job! I mean, who's kidding who, here? I hate to be treated like a fool!

The idiot engineer who designed that, and the idiot engineering manager who signed off on it should be taken out to the nearest field and shot. There's no excuse as far as I'm concerned...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,386 Senior Member
    My brother was a service writer at Bill Wright Toyota in Bakersfield. I went to see him one day and he was out at the time, guy comes in and says where is Randy another service writer he's out I can help you.
    Man tells him I'll come back later when he is back, when Randy tells me I need something I know I really need it.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,110 Senior Member
    its unfortunate that happened to you.

when it comes to $$$ and people, there are those that will try to separate it from you at any price.

I have a favorite mechanic/shop i took my car to, but now with a new car, I'm taking it to the dealership where i bought it for any service and work until the warranty is done. That way, they cant say something wasnt done by them or a wrong part was used. So far, I've only had 1 minor issue and they did me right. Since it finally passed the 6k mark, it needs to do its 6k service and i will take it to them for the maintenance.

fortunately you have your friends shop to take your car to. I would and hopefully those that bailed on that toyota dealership will be employeed awhile. You may want to spread the word about their integrity and honesty.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    The idiot engineer who designed that, and the idiot engineering manager who signed off on it should be taken out to the nearest field and shot. There's no excuse as far as I'm concerned...

Yeah, like the Mustangs and Cougars in the late 1960s with the 390 or larger engines that required some pretty 'interesting' solutions to get the back spark plugs replaced. I worked at a gas station back then while in high school, and GUESS WHO GOT TO DO THOSE PLUG CHANGES???!!! I flatly refused to work on an engine whose exhaust manifold wasn't at ambient temperature. It was burn city doing it while the engine was hot. I had two methods to get to those rear plugs. Method one was put it up on the lift and put in a lift block to keep it at the proper height while I wormed my way in from underneath, and the second method was lying on top of the engine with the air cleaner removed and sort of standing on my head. There was another method of cutting out sheet metal on the inner fender well we never used. People brought their Mustangs and Cougars to us because we didn't charge more for the service, but you had to leave the car there a few hours for it to cool off. The dealers charged them about 4X more for that service. And if you did it on a hot engine it wasn't near enough.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,592 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I flatly refused to work on an engine whose exhaust manifold wasn't at ambient temperature. It was burn city doing it while the engine was hot.

Who woulda thunk?!? :uhm:

:jester:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."