Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Is This Who We Need As President?

2»

Replies

• blueslide88blueslide88 Member Posts: 273 Member
    On Fox's Thursday debate, Bret Baier asked Paul three times how would he handle Iran "IF" it had a nuclear weapon, or blocked the Strait of Hormuz. Paul ducked the questions again, again and again. See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xwfANcK8gs

Paul's bobbing and weaving seemed to reflect his ostrichlike positions on foreign affairs, his head stuck firmly in the sand. :uhm:
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Nomadac wrote: »
    It has been said that American Exceptionalism and Leadership are two of the most important issues for the 2012 Presidential election.

For you Ron Paul believers, maybe you could enlighten us non-believers as to his qualifications of Leadership? As I have not seen anything that would qualify him or confirm his qualifications in this area.

He gets my vote. I'm tired of the lesser of two evils vote.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    He gets my vote. I'm tired of the lesser of two evils vote.

Consider this, if Obama is re-elected, by the end of Obama's second term, he will very likely appoint as many as three more justices to the Supreme Court, for the rest of their lives. The right to keep and bear arms was won by 1 vote. This could give the Liberals a majority on the court and free to re-define firearm freedom out of existence.

Are you that ready to vote for someone that cannot win against Obama?
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    So just curious.... who in the hell should I vote for??? Everytime I hear a good thing about a candidate, somebody on here brings up something to bash them. I was raised republican, hate Obama, high taxes, abortion and medaling in other countries affairs... Any suggestions???
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,113 Senior Member
    So just curious.... who in the hell should I vote for??? Everytime I hear a good thing about a candidate, somebody on here brings up something to bash them. I was raised republican, hate Obama, high taxes, abortion and medaling in other countries affairs... Any suggestions???

Don't sweat it...we're too far out from the election to lose any sleep over it...the field will inevitably narrow and we will have clear cut choices to make...not saying they will be good choices, but choices nevertheless
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    It has been said that American Exceptionalism and Leadership are two of the most important issues for the 2012 Presidential election.

Quote:
    "If Ron Paul had his way he would abandon what he asserts is America’s penchant for empire. Under Paul’s foreign policy, the United States would return to a non-interventionist foreign policy where the U.S. would abandon most, if not all, military installations abroad; end our membership in international organizations; keep American military forces on American soil; and proscribe U.S. contact with the world would be over matters concerning trade and not much else. Huntsman is not as radical in cutting most ties within foreign affairs, but he would dramatically reduce America’s military commitments abroad, reduce some involvement in international organizations, and increase focus on diplomacy and trade, particularly in Asia, which is his area of expertise. Huntsman has advocated he would focus much more of his energy on rebuilding the American economy because that will increase the global perception that the United States is a nation to emulate. In turn, this emulation assures, revives, and restores America’s greatness.

Interventionists, like Governor Romney and Speaker Newt Gingrich as well as the other candidates, favor a much more muscular approach to foreign policy, going so far as to continually invoke President Reagan’s foreign policy mantra of “peace through strength.” These candidates, all favor increasing the defense budget; curtailing foreign aid and some cases cutting it altogether; getting tougher on rogue nations like Syria, North Korea, and Iran through increased sanctions and potential military action; rethinking and potentially reducing involvement with the United Nations; actively promoting democracy abroad; and using whatever means necessary to fight and potentially expand the war on terrorism.[20] According to these Republican presidential candidates, in order to maintain and continually promote the spread of democracy, as well as deal with emerging threats from across the world, the United States must continue and extend its role as a world leader. Interventionist Republican presidential candidates describe exemplarists, like Representative Paul and Governor Huntsman, as naïve “isolationists” who do not understand the modern integrated and interconnected world the United States faces. To abandon our leadership position would undercut U.S. influence and diminish America’s exceptionalist ethos. "

It is obvious that Obama has no Leadership experience based on this lack of doing anything while in office. I personally believe that our next President should have both experience and a record of leadership to be elected.

For you Ron Paul believers, maybe you could enlighten us non-believers as to his qualifications of Leadership? As I have not seen anything that would qualify him or confirm his qualifications in this area.

Maybe you could explain to the rest of us how well our "interventionist" policies have worked out this last 20 yrs... we're bankrupt to the point of near collapse, and half the world STILL hates us (not that I think our policies make that big a difference there, but it's damn sure made us broke in the process).

If you keep doing the same thing you've been doing, you're going to continue to get the same results you've been getting. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing, and expecting a different result.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Maybe you could explain to the rest of us how well our "interventionist" policies have worked out this last 20 yrs... we're bankrupt to the point of near collapse, and half the world STILL hates us (not that I think our policies make that big a difference there, but it's damn sure made us broke in the process).

If you keep doing the same thing you've been doing, you're going to continue to get the same results you've been getting. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing, and expecting a different result.

Luis

"We do have certain permanent enemies—the totalitarian state; the nihilist/terrorist cell—with which "peace" is neither possible nor desirable. Acknowledging this, and preparing for it, might give us some advantages in a war that seems destined to last as long as civilization is willing to defend itself."

I recommend you read: In Defense of Endless War by Christopher Hitchens, http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2011/09/in_defense_of_endless_war.html
    as he explains it very well, IMO.

Assuming with current World conditions, if we were to have another 911, I want the strongest individual in the WH that has demonstrated Leadership and Executive experience. Since you seem to favor Ron Paul, I request you provide his qualifications in this area and what he has demonstrated during his time in Congress. I would rather see my Governor, Mitch Daniels in this situation vs. Ron Paul as he has demonstrated considerable more leadership and executive experience along with his Federal experience in managing the budget. Unfortunately he declined to run at the request of his family.

I base my opinions on the vast years of seeing true leaders and executives in operation in Major Corporations and businesses, and RP does not hold a candle to them.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,324 Senior Member
    I would rather see my Governor, Mitch Daniels in this situation vs. Ron Paul as he has demonstrated considerable more leadership and executive experience along with his Federal experience in managing the budget. Unfortunately he declined to run at the request of his family.

I base my opinions on the vast years of seeing true leaders and executives in operation in Major Corporations and businesses, and RP does not hold a candle to them.

Which brings us back to the sad, old truth of anybody who WANTS the job probably isn't ethical, smart, or capable enough to be trusted with it. To paraphrase the adage about teachers; "Those that can - do. Those that can't - find jobs in the Federal Government". If you're good at being a corporate executive, why on earth would you take on the massive goat rodeo of dealing with our internal and external politics for a mere $220K a year? One answer might be that you're a true patriot with a vision for his country. . .but good luck finding anyone that actually believes that to be the truth about you, because it isn't the truth about so many others.

So we continue to play with the cards we're given. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 661 Senior Member
    Anyone have a decent plan to prevent Iran from getting a Nuke? Apparently nothing tried so far is working.

How about a decent plan to prevent an intended criminal from getting a firearm? Apparently no law ever devised has prevented such.
    "We do have certain permanent enemies—the totalitarian state; the nihilist/terrorist cell—with which "peace" is neither possible nor desirable. Acknowledging this, and preparing for it, might give us some advantages in a war that seems destined to last as long as civilization is willing to defend itself."

I recommend you read: In Defense of Endless War by Christopher Hitchens, http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2011/09/in_defense_of_endless_war.html
    as he explains it very well, IMO.

Assuming with current World conditions, if we were to have another 911, I want the strongest individual in the WH that has demonstrated Leadership and Executive experience. Since you seem to favor Ron Paul, I request you provide his qualifications in this area and what he has demonstrated during his time in Congress. I would rather see my Governor, Mitch Daniels in this situation vs. Ron Paul as he has demonstrated considerable more leadership and executive experience along with his Federal experience in managing the budget. Unfortunately he declined to run at the request of his family.

That's great, fine, and wonderful. Will I be able to vote for him on the ticket? Oh... so that's a "NO."? Well, as long as we're living in fantasy land, I'd like to see Superman on the ticket. :tooth:

I understand your concerns, but at the moment, all I'm seeing as far as real world options is a bunch of useless lying politicians just exactly like the ones in office right now, and Ron Paul. If you have a better suggestion that I haven't seen yet, by all means, educate me.

As far as being at "permanent war" with certain enemies, yes... that hasn't changed over the last 100 yrs. But the BEST defense against this IMO is to have a strong economy that offers us the option to put it to work when needed producing the implements to wage war if it's necessary. Going massively into debt to try to sustain a huge military complex when it's NOT needed is foolish and will only hurt us in the long run.

In short, we cannot afford the option we're exercising right now, and sooner or later, we're going to have to pay our bills. I'd rather see that happen sooner than later.
    Anyone have a decent plan to prevent Iran from getting a Nuke? Apparently nothing tried so far is working.

How about a decent plan to prevent an intended criminal from getting a firearm? Apparently no law ever devised has prevented such.

This is pretty much the issue in a nutshell. It's far more cost efficient to just hang/shoot the criminal after they commit a crime, than to attempt to prevent the crime in the first place. We've spent BILLIONS trying to prevent terrorism over the last 30 years, and have STILL been attacked successfully. The only thing that has proven effective is to go bomb them back to the stone ages immediately after we are attacked, and then leave them the heck alone as long as we're NOT being attacked. Attempting to go influence them to change their system to ours is only guaranteed to do two things: 1) cost us a fortune and 2) provoke their hatred.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • deadeyedeadeye Member Posts: 73 Member
    Good comments from all. I predict that one of these 3will be our next president. Ron Paul, Romney or God Help Us..Obama. Will tell you all how i came to that conclusion after the election. :popcorn:
    No Need To Run, You Will Only Die Tired
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    He probably will, when the attacks on his many mistakes reach their peak.

But consider this. You have two RINOS leading in the polls, going into the Iowa Caucus. Gingrich has his Pelosi moment to live down, and Romney has Romney Care to live down. If the attacks on Gingrich take their toll, in time, Romney probably wins Iowa and he will almost certainly win New Hampshire. That gives him a major 'head of steam' that the conservatives in the race will have a tough time overcoming.

Perry is subject to blowing his own campaign up at any moment, and Bachman and Santorum, despite being good candidates, with consistent conservative records, are not turning anybody on very much, so far.

But if Gingrich wins Iowa, and one or more of the conservatives score better than Romney, we still have a race, because the 'artillery' which is leveled at Gingrich will probably take him out, eventually.

I don't know Bisley, what you say makes sense, but I would love to see Gingrich in a debate. He's so knowledgeble that if he can get that far he'll bury his oponant. He knows foreign policy AND economic issues inside and out. He's the one who can make a case, in my opinion anyway.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Consider this, if Obama is re-elected, by the end of Obama's second term, he will very likely appoint as many as three more justices to the Supreme Court, for the rest of their lives. The right to keep and bear arms was won by 1 vote. This could give the Liberals a majority on the court and free to re-define firearm freedom out of existence.

Are you that ready to vote for someone that cannot win against Obama?

I keep seeing this opinion stated. What I do not understand is why aybody thinks that RP cannot beat Obama. I can see why someone might think that he might not be able to win the primaries. But against Obama.... It seems obvious to me that Repubs would much rather have RP than another four years of Obama and I see a LOT of Democrats saing they would vote for RP over Obama. I think that he would pull all the Libertarian vote and the Tea Party. Add in the disenfranchised Dems and I think Obama would have a very tough time winning.

Is there something that I am totally overlooking?

Luis