Old ammo

roadkingroadking Senior MemberPosts: 3,056 Senior Member
Buddy stopped by with a gift. Long story short, guys passes, wife wants all guns and ammo out of the house and gives the job to the funeral director to find homes for it all. Buddy bought a practically brand new Remington 700 30-06 Left handed for his kid. Funeral director tossed in all the ammo for it as well as...3 bricks of .22LR...with the original receipts, from 1956! From Eynon Drug Store, dated Feb and Mar 1956...$8.27 for the Remington ("The Gold Bullet") and $6.10 for the Federals...LOL! 1500 61 year old .22s...into the ammo cabinet...Don't some folks collect the older stuff?

Took the Rem 700 to the smith, broke it down...never been fired! $400
Support your local Scouts!

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,751 Senior Member
    Very cool!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    That old ammo will shoot
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Ross280Ross280 New Member Posts: 43 Member
    NN wrote: »
    That old ammo will shoot
    And with less misfires then modern .22 cal.
    So where's the .30-06 ammo and the .22 firearm?
    Ok I just reread the post, I see your buddy has the .30-06, so he has the ammo for it and you got the .22 ammo. That's good.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,607 Senior Member
    Choot 'Em!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,771 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Choot 'Em!

That
    It has the child warning label so dates it to the 60's
  • RAEIndustriesRAEIndustries Member Posts: 68 Member
    Ive shot ammo from the 70’s recently I’ve had stored indoors within last couple years
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    Nice gift; probably more that the ammo itself, some collectors might want the boxes if they're in nice condition. Ebay or a gun show might be the right place to sell them.

As for the ammo, when well kept, my experience is that vintage US-made "modern" ammo will usually shoot. When I inherited in the mid '00s my late grandad's .22LR Walther PPk (Bought by him brand-new in Switzerland in 1965) it came with a period Winchester T-22 ammo box that still had most of the rounds remaining, and the few I shot to test worked properly.
    Probably yours will, but I'd suggest using them in a gun where you can control easier if each of them work properly, like a revolver or a bolt action rifle; in a semiauto a too enthusiast trigger finger and a squib round can easily ruin your day!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    Thats pretty old. I don't know if I'd shoot it if I were you. I can shoot you an IM if you'd like my mailing address and I could do you a favor and take it off your hands. I've got some old ratty guns I can shoot it in that it won't damage and if it does, no big deal. Just send it to me.

Believe that and I have some land to sell you, CHEAP, out in the Gulf of Mexico.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

It's probably been stored in a dry cabinet or closet or some such for most all those years and either just like new and/or still perfectly fine.

Aren't your boys probably due a range trip? Take em out and have some fun!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Oh, will do when we get some time.

I'm still running WW1 ammo thru some of my old mil surps with no issues.

These have just been placed in the cabinet for future use.

Boxes are pretty much perfect, except for one slight tear on the end flap...the boolits 'tho...look factory new. No qualms cycling them down range when the come up in the inventory rotation.
    Support your local Scouts!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    roadking wrote: »
    Oh, will do when we get some time.

I'm still running WW1 ammo thru some of my old mil surps with no issues.

These have just been placed in the cabinet for future use.

Boxes are pretty much perfect, except for one slight tear on the end flap...the boolits 'tho...look factory new. No qualms cycling them down range when the come up in the inventory rotation.

One thing I would do until you find out for abolute sure is clean your rifles when you use the ammo like you know it was corrosive primed.

Never mind, after re-reading the OP it appears none of the ammo was milsurp.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.