JFK files to be released today

2»

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,759 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I was 10 years old in 1963.

I was 10 y.o., too. School let out early that day. And there was nothing much on TV for several days after that; just news coverage of the assassination. I remember some older folks talking about the heightened military stance because of the assassination, and Russia might want to take advantage of it.

My Dad gave me my Christmas present early that same afternoon. A Remington model 878 semiauto 12 gauge with a Cutts Compensator on its bobbed barrel. Great shotgun for quail, dove, and rabbits. That shotgun has multiple thousands of rounds through it and is still going strong.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Your a year older than I, and I remember exactly the same thing. No kids shows on either of the 3 channels

There were only 3 channels and you were lucky if you had those. For about five days it was nothing but the assassination and finally the funeral and burial. But I was old enough, being 15, almost 16, that I was interested. It was high adventure. Then on Sunday Ruby shot Oswald and the defecation really hit the rotary Oscillator.

Nobody will ever convince me that Ruby had some noble reason for shooting him and that it wasn't part of the cover up. Ruby was anything but noble.

Also, I for one never said Oswald had an accomplice. I never said he wasn't the lone gunman. I just say that theres more to the story than just Oswald. I believe he was put up to it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I was an 18 year old freshman at Southern Tech. It was on a Friday. A long ride home from school.

How well I remember. I was 15 about to turn 16 in January of 64. I didn't have a long ride home but things were pretty somber when I got there. My dad voted for Nixon but he was totally mesmerized by the whole affair.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,943 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Or some say Onassis..................Russians............... Cubans..............Mafia.................

Aliens! Don't forget the aliens! (As I recall, Gene Roddenberry's original concept for Star Trek II had time-travelling Klingons screwing up the natural timeline by thwarting Oswald in the book depository, and Mr. Spock "making things right again" from the grassy knoll a few seconds later. I don't know how he planned to explain Jack Ruby. . .probably some heroic Red Shirt with a terminal illness. Paramount pulled the plug on that one, & Harve Bennett got to do Wrath of Khan instead).

Meh. . .Stephen Hunter's plot was better.:tooth:

I wasn't born until '71, so I lack the "lived through it" perspective, but the impression I get of Lyndon Johnson from Ken Burn's Vietnam documentary is "too stupid & incompetent to pull it off successfully, even if he wanted to".

Didn't we have a chat here a couple years ago in which it was posited that the bullet passing through Kennedy into the governor was Oswald's (and it behaved EXACTLY like you'd expect of a slow, heavy 6.5mm), and the head shot was a negligent discharge from a Secret Service agent with an early AR-15 in a following car (and it behaved EXACTLY like you'd expect of an early, lightweight 5.56 bullet from a barrel with a slow rifling twist) who might have lost control of his weapon when the driver of his car stomped on the gas in reaction to Oswald's round?

On pondering this further, that would be reason enough for a hastily-assembled cover up, and even reason to co-opt Jack Ruby to keep LHO from coming out with "Dude! I only got off one!" That seems like the kind of squirrely, near-hysterical action LBJ might have authorized.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,759 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    A
    Meh. . .Stephen Hunter's plot was better.:tooth:

I wasn't born until '71, so I lack the "lived through it" perspective, but the impression I get of Lyndon Johnson from Ken Burn's Vietnam documentary is "too stupid & incompetent to pull it off successfully, even if he wanted to".

Didn't we have a chat here a couple years ago in which it was posited that the bullet passing through Kennedy into the governor was Oswald's (and it behaved EXACTLY like you'd expect of a slow, heavy 6.5mm), and the head shot was a negligent discharge from a Secret Service agent with an early AR-15 in a following car (and it behaved EXACTLY like you'd expect of an early, lightweight 5.56 bullet from a barrel with a slow rifling twist) who might have lost control of his weapon when the driver of his car stomped on the gas in reaction to Oswald's round?

On pondering this further, that would be reason enough for a hastily-assembled cover up, and even reason to co-opt Jack Ruby to keep LHO from coming out with "Dude! I only got off one!" That seems like the kind of squirrely, near-hysterical action LBJ might have authorized.

Sentence in bold print.
    LBJ wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but he had been in crooked politics long enough to know how to do pretty much anything crooked and get away with it regarding politics. He could rig an election like nobody's bidness, and did on several occasions. The intimidation and threats of bodily harm back then were real, and people got ruined or beaten to death, or just wound up dead 'by mysterious circumstances'. He was the crooked Democrat Hillary aspired to be, and failed. Vietnam got to be no more than a silly board game that he and the Whiz Kids played. That is both why we lost that one, and why it blew up in his face and kept him out of running for President again. He toasted himself way past golden brown.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    Heck, I read a book on the Johnson's from the early settlers in TX and his early years. He even rigged grade/JHS elections so he could win!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    How many fewer conspiracy theories would there be if the rifle was virtually anything besides a Carcano with a crap scope and mount?

Buddy of mine just shot a Carcano in a vintage match. Open sights at 200 yards. With proper diameter bullets, .267, he put more into a 6" 10 ring than out of, from a rested prone holding off at about 9 oclock a foot and a half.

Oswald took 3 shots, 2 in 8 seconds after #1 went downrange at a slow moving target at real short range (about 60 yards) with a rifle he was familiar with. He hit his target twice. It was no real feat of marksmanship with any rifle.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
2»