Is anyone but me following the World Series?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 6,484 Senior Member
Last night's game, game 2, was pretty crazy. Astros won it in 11 inning, 7-6. There were several records set, including most homers (8) in a WS game, and (I think) most extra inning homers (5?) in a WS game. There was also a few crazy plays that saved runs for both teams, including an outfield hit bouncing off of the bill of a fielder's cap and a pick off attempt that hit an umpire.

This just might be a great series.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    No, your the only one
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,484 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    No, your the only one

It appears so.
    Jerry

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,809 Senior Member
    I haven't watched a MLB game in ages. I honestly can't remember the last game I DID watch. I sort of lost interest when all the drama with steroids, gambling on games by players, and all that prima donna stuff took over.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,262 Senior Member
    2 great games so far. I was surprised the dodgers pen gave up so many runs last night.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,670 Senior Member
    Nope :yawn:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,379 Senior Member
    Good on you. With a major pro sports team in every sport except basketball in my area, I've tried to get into following one a few times. The best I've done is following scores, and having too much beer at a few games.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    Mrs. Bisley and I have started watching, since we quit the NFL. Two great WS games, so far.
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    2 great games so far. I was surprised the dodgers pen gave up so many runs last night.

Their computer model for pitching may have gotten them to the World Series, but it bit them in the butt last night. Pulling a starter that is doing great after four innings leaves you with nothing but back-benchers for extra innings, if the stopper does not get it done for them. Their 'system' forces 4 pitchers to be nearly perfect, and that's hard to do against WS caliber talent. Last night, the middle relief guy walked the first man on four pitches, so they pulled him and forced their stopper to get six outs.
    Nobody you've heard of - go back to your sitcoms. :tooth:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,113 Senior Member
    I don't follow baseball at all, but even I'm tired of the Dodgers...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    bisley wrote: »
    Their computer model for pitching may have gotten them to the World Series, but it bit them in the butt last night. Pulling a starter that is doing great after four innings leaves you with nothing but back-benchers for extra innings, if the stopper does not get it done for them. Their 'system' forces 4 pitchers to be nearly perfect, and that's hard to do against WS caliber talent. Last night, the middle relief guy walked the first man on four pitches, so they pulled him and forced their stopper to get six outs.

Agreed but it has been the best bullpen in baseball over the course of the year. Roberts does some weird things but it usually works. I think he goes with his gut.

Didn't both teams empty their bullpens? I know the Dodgers did. Not sure about the Astros.
    Jerry

• Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    I've decided baseball is my sport.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,825 Senior Member
    I watched about 90 seconds. Decided I still have no interest in pro baseball.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Didn't both teams empty their bullpens? I know the Dodgers did. Not sure about the Astros.

The Astros were in better shape with their bullpen, because they left their starter in longer, but not by much.
    cpj wrote: »
    In all honesty I didnt even know the WS had started. Sitcoms? Pffft. I rarely watch TV anymore.

:that::agree:

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    I was a major Cubs fan when I was a kid, and tuned in to watch the miracle occur last year. Became mildly excited when I heard they were in the running again this year, but decided I was glad that it didn't happen because that would have been two years running that I would have actually had to care about sports.

Besides. . .scheduling major championship events in the middle of deer season? Sorry guys - a little distracted here.

HOWEVER, I will grant baseball this: I caught an internet re-transmit of the Vin Scully/Fernando Valenzuela first pitch. Last year, i got a little choked up after the victory when they broadcast the old Harry Caray Budweiser commercial. The game remembers it's history, when not many or much else does. Respect.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,369 Senior Member
    No.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,010 Senior Member
    I put baseball cards in the spokes of my bike when I was a kid!
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,441 Senior Member
    It's been an awesome series! Watching right now
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    I live in LA county and a HUGE Dodger fan...I'm all in!!!

Gibson's walk off in 88? We watched that from the labor room at the hospital the night our only son was born.
    Bigslug wrote: »
    I was a major Cubs fan when I was a kid, and tuned in to watch the miracle occur last year. Became mildly excited when I heard they were in the running again this year, but decided I was glad that it didn't happen because that would have been two years running that I would have actually had to care about sports.

Besides. . .scheduling major championship events in the middle of deer season? Sorry guys - a little distracted here.

HOWEVER, I will grant baseball this: I caught an internet re-transmit of the Vin Scully/Fernando Valenzuela first pitch. Last year, i got a little choked up after the victory when they broadcast the old Harry Caray Budweiser commercial. The game remembers it's history, when not many or much else does. Respect.

Do you remember the 7 Eleven commercial Harry Carey did back in 96? Hilarious!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,670 Senior Member
    To tell you how much I'm not watching it, I just googled it to see what the series score was. I had no idea it was 3-2 'stros
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Wow, what strange games these two teams are playing.

First, in game 4, with the score tied at 1-1, the Dodgers blow it open in the top of the ninth with 5 runs. This evens the series to 2-2.

Last night's game, game 5, was really unusual. It featured 2 of the best pitchers in all of MLB (Kershaw and Kuechel), and neither made it past 4 innings. The Astros came back from 3+ runs down twice, and then the Dodgers returned the favor by scoring 3 in the top of the 9th to tie the game. The 'stros finally ended it in the 10th with a 2 out single.
    The final score was 13-12. What a game!
    Jerry

Wish I could have finished it. I fell asleep right after the Stros went up 8-7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Both bullpens are a dumpster fire now, and the starters are not fairing much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Great game.

Verlander is up for game 6. He was a pitching machine in game 2, except that the only two hits he gave up were homers. He might have to stay in longer, though, if he does well again. I think Houston will either win in six, or lose in 7. Of course, there is no way to predict the kind of games they have had together, so far, and both sides can bring in starting pitchers for a couple of relief innings, if it goes to game 7. The Dodgers will probably do it in game 6, if necessary.
    Once in a while, I might watch a series game - but as I've said before: I'm just *tired* of the Dodgers. Everybody's tired of the Dodgers, just like we were of Elway and the Broncos...

bisley wrote: »
    Great game.

Verlander is up for game 6. He was a pitching machine in game 2, except that the only two hits he gave up were homers. He might have to stay in longer, though, if he does well again. I think Houston will either win in six, or lose in 7. Of course, there is no way to predict the kind of games they have had together, so far, and both sides can bring in starting pitchers for a couple of relief innings, if it goes to game 7. The Dodgers will probably do it in game 6, if necessary.

When the Dodgers went up by 4 last night, especially with Kershaw pitching, I figured the game was over. Kershaw just doesn't lose when given a lead like that. He still didn't get tagged with the loss, but didn't get a win, either.
    Jerry

zorba wrote: »
    Once in a while, I might watch a series game - but as I've said before: I'm just *tired* of the Dodgers. Everybody's tired of the Dodgers, just like we were of Elway and the Broncos...

The dodgers have not been in the series since 1988. You tire easy.

I think the ball is jucied.