Is anyone but me following the World Series?

2»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,092 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    The dodgers have not been in the series since 1988. You tire easy.

That was just "yesterday", but you're right: I do tire easily. The older I get, the tireder I become! :roll2:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    The dodgers have not been in the series since 1988. You tire easy.

I think the ball is jucied.

Yeah, something is causing the ball to fly out at a greater percentage than ever before. I understand that everything has been 'scienced' out to improve swings, strength, bat speed, etc. But everyone on the team is a power hitter, these days. A second baseman used to hit three home runs a year - now they hit that many in one series.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    The pitchers were complaining that the newer baseballs are "Slicker" with a more slippery finish they can't seem to grip as easily as the older ones.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,478 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    The pitchers were complaining that the newer baseballs are "Slicker" with a more slippery finish they can't seem to grip as easily as the older ones.

I noticed that pitchers on both teams were throwing back a lot of baseballs until they got one they liked. It must have worked, as last night's game was low scoring (3-1 Dodgers).

I'm not sure about post-season, but during regular season the home team provides the balls. Every ball is supposed to be hand rubbed with some special mud to rough them up a bit. At least this is my understanding.

After tonight, it's all over but the crying for one of the teams. It's game 7, and winner takes all.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Well, it's over. Houston took game seven 5-1 and now has its first World Series championship.

The Astros did all of their scoring in the first 2 innings, and knocked out the Dodger's starter. After that, nothing.

The Dodgers had a number of opportunities to push runs across, but Houston pitching, and perhaps a little luck, kept them to a single run in the 6th.

Congratulations to the Astros and their fans!
    Jerry

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    I'm glad Houston won their 1st World Series.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    This was the first time I watched every game, in about 30 years. It was ironic, to me, that the experts were all saying the Dodger bullpen would win Game 7 for them. They were good, but it was Houston's bull pen that enabled the win.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Whatever, all I know is I've been waiting for this for well over 50 years. In fact, until this week I had resigned myself to believe it never would happen. I am NOT a baseball or Basketball fan. Both games normally boar me to tears. But you put the Astros or Rangers in the World Series, or the Rockets or Mavericks in the playoffs and I'm interested. This is just fantastic>
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,552 Senior Member
    It was a great series. The victory parade is on Friday at 2PM in downtown Houston. Might be fun to go, but it will probably be a veritable zoo.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    I'm not following it anymore.
    horselips wrote: »
    I'm not following it anymore.

But you're following this post enough to let everyone know you're not following "it" anymore, whatever "it" is.

Interesting.
    Jerry

JerryBobCo wrote: »
    But you're following this post enough to let everyone know you're not following "it" anymore, whatever "it" is.

Interesting.

"It" is the World Series of course. I stopped following it because the next game isn't scheduled for a whole year from now.
    horselips wrote: »
    "It" is the World Series of course. I stopped following it because the next game isn't scheduled for a whole year from now.

I wasn't really sure what you were getting at. It occurred to me that this is what you meant, but I wasn't sure.

My apologies, sir.
    Jerry

• centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    I know I am late to this, but for the life of me I have no idea why the dodgers didn't start Kershaw in game 7. Darvish had like 5.8 ERA going into that game.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    NN wrote: »
    No, your the only one

Oh no he wasn't. There were several of us Texans following it, in fact, we weren't just following, we were going nutzo every night. I turned the channel off the game at the top of the 9th because my nerves just wouldn't handle any more. Hey, I've been waiting on this since the 60s and it was like lancing a big huge boil when it happened.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I'm such a big baseball fan and really keep up with every facet of it, NOT!!! I'm so much a fan I didn't even know the Astros were moved out of the NL in 2013. I had no idea. Because I only pay attention to them when they're in the playoffs or get into the series, which has only happened once before and they were swept four in a row by the White Sox. I guess since the Astros are now in the AL there will never be an all Texas series. A few years back there was an all Mozambique Series with the KC Royals and the St. Louis Cardinals. I was always hoping there would be a series between the Astros and the Texas Rangers. But now they're both in the same league.
    I wasn't really sure what you were getting at. It occurred to me that this is what you meant, but I wasn't sure.

My apologies, sir.

No offense taken, no apology necessary, you're doing fine. It's all in fun.
    I know I am late to this, but for the life of me I have no idea why the dodgers didn't start Kershaw in game 7. Darvish had like 5.8 ERA going into that game.

That's the question Dave Roberts (Dodger's manager) is going to have to live with for a long time. The Astros were unable to do damage against any other Dodger pitcher. And, in game 3, Darvish pitched poorly as well.

I wonder if the Astros would have managed to push a run or 2 across if they really needed to. It seems to me that sometimes teams lose their edge on offense when they get a big lead. Also, had the Astros needed a late run, Hinch would have probably pinch hit for Morton rather than letting him finish the game. That 4 run lead paid off in spades in that situation.

Regardless, I'm with Snake. I was very glad to see the Astros finally win it all. Now, the Rockies and Rangers need to win one.
    Jerry

If Roberts had not started Darvish, he would have been accused of racism and booed roundly by the politically correct crowd.
    Now, the Rockies and Rangers need to win one.

Rockies???

You mean Colorado has a team, now?
    bisley wrote: »
    Rockies???

You mean Colorado has a team, now?

Oh how soon we forget. As I recall, the very first year the Rockies fielded a team they either knocked the Astros out of playoff contention, or took a playoff series from them.
    Jerry

Well, I did say I hadn't been a serious fan in quite a while. I quit pro sports altogether for a decade, or so.
2»