Need a lightweight AR forend

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 9,731 Senior Member
Well... I made a stupid decision to enter my fat rear end in a 5 mile 'run and gun' competition. The course is 5 miles over broken terrain with 7 shooting stations engaging targets with handgun (0-25 yards) and rifle (0-300 yards).

Outside of the main problems I'm dealing with (making sure life insurance is up to date, getting a better pair of boots, and figuring out how to carry all the ammo, water, gear and magazines), one of the main problems I have is that my AR that I can reliably run out to 300 yards is a heavy sonofagun. It has a big ol honking aluminum full length quad rail full float tube on it that was state of the art in 2004.

Looking to maybe trim the weight a bit. Anyone want to suggest options on a forend?
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 215 Member
    I'm really getting attached to switching everything out to Aluminum Keymod forends! Slim round forends that let me point the rifle like a shotgun!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,115 Senior Member
    https://rouschsports.com/product-category/ar15-upper-parts/ar15-handguards-forends-quad-rails-best-dicount-price/

I have their ULS (ultralight slim) handguard on my "short rifle" AR. I like it.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    The BSM KMR-A (KeyMod) or MCMR (MLOK) both weigh under 11oz in the 13" model:

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-MCMR-13-M-LOK-Compatible-Modular-Rail-MMR-p/bcm-mcmr-13-556-blk.htm

I'd go MLOK personally, with CRANE accepting it, it's the design that's most likely going to survive longer.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Check the barrel nut and gas block weight savings also. You can shave a couple ounces there.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,658 Senior Member
    https://rouschsports.com/product-category/ar15-upper-parts/ar15-handguards-forends-quad-rails-best-dicount-price/

Me, too. Good quality and priced right.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    I just got one of these.
    MTU004SS_APP_01-600x600.gif

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/714007550?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BudsProducts&utm_term=1101206460527&utm_content=Ad%2520group%2520%25231

I will be installing a 13" on a carbine length gas system using a low profile gas block. This setup will be replacing my aluminum quad rail and railed gas block. It's not installed yet, so can't range report it yet. But we installed one on an instructors gun at a training I was in last week. Initial impressions were good enough that I ordered one to try myself.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,838 Senior Member

X3. Good stuff for the $.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,115 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Me, too. Good quality and priced right.
    Well, you are the gent who clued me in on them...

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    Overkill is underrated.
    When is your match? I have an ALG Defense hand guard and hardware I’ll send your way free of charge, but I can’t get to it until 10 Nov.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    Mag Pul SL. . .

OR. . .

. . .you could play like the real men did and run the course with a Garand.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,869 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Mag Pul SL. . .

OR. . .

. . .you could play like the real men did and run the course with a Garand.
    :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• neosamneosam New Member Posts: 28 New Member
    Don't forget to check out the Lancer lightweight hand guard also.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Seems to me this place is going backwards.

Here is an ideal opportunity to enable the OP into a new lightweight AR, and all you guys can do is suggest buying small parts.

My suggestion is for you to go buy the bits and pieces and build yourself a purpose built lightweight AR............You might decide that your new leisure activity will involve participating in more than one 'Run & Gun comp.............and even if you dont, you will have the pleasure of building, owning and shooting something you built yourself from the ground up.

( Sheesh, enabling isnt rocket science)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,658 Senior Member
    The purpose of entering such a contest is to have an excuse to buy new gear. Once you get the stuff you want to buy, any little excuse will work to keep you from actually having to execute the stated plan. Wives instinctively understand this, but it always comes as a surprise to the man it is actually happening to. It's all about the 'process.'
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,731 Senior Member

I think that's who makes my current foreend. I wish they made one that I could just unscrew the railed tube and screw on a lightweight tube.... and it does not look like they make the long version of mine anymore.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    When is your match? I have an ALG Defense hand guard and hardware I’ll send your way free of charge, but I can’t get to it until 10 Nov.

The match is on December 9th. IM me, I'm interested.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Bigslug wrote: »
    you could play like the real men did and run the course with a Garand.

That would be awesome... if I had 3 more months to train by running around the woods with a couple of cinder blocks
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    orchidman wrote: »
    Seems to me this place is going backwards.

Here is an ideal opportunity to enable the OP into a new lightweight AR, and all you guys can do is suggest buying small parts.

My suggestion is for you to go buy the bits and pieces and build yourself a purpose built lightweight AR............You might decide that your new leisure activity will involve participating in more than one 'Run & Gun comp.............and even if you dont, you will have the pleasure of building, owning and shooting something you built yourself from the ground up.

( Sheesh, enabling isnt rocket science)

No time to build one, no funds to buy one. Looks like I gotta mod what I gots.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,744 Senior Member
    Sounds like you probably have a solution, but I'm partial to my upper with a lightweight barrel and moe handguard. Plenty accurate for what you're doing. If this is something you'll probably do again I'd look for a basic upper like that. These days you can probably find one without bcg or ch for $200 or so.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I have also considered screwing the quad rail off and milling/ sanding off a bunch of the rail sections and lightening up the one I own.

pro- FREE

Cons- it will look like I did it myself.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    That would be awesome... if I had 3 more months to train by running around the woods with a couple of cinder blocks

With all the crap folks hang on AR's, the weight difference probably isnt that much. Ammo would be, but you would really lighten up as you shoot.

DOOOO IIIT. 1911 and a Garand, put a steel pot on and run.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,071 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Well... I made a stupid decision to enter my fat rear end in a 5 mile 'run and gun' competition. The course is 5 miles over broken terrain with 7 shooting stations engaging targets with handgun (0-25 yards) and rifle (0-300 yards).

Outside of the main problems I'm dealing with (making sure life insurance is up to date, getting a better pair of boots, and figuring out how to carry all the ammo, water, gear and magazines), one of the main problems I have is that my AR that I can reliably run out to 300 yards is a heavy sonofagun. It has a big ol honking aluminum full length quad rail full float tube on it that was state of the art in 2004.

Looking to maybe trim the weight a bit. Anyone want to suggest options on a forend?

Are you allowed to hire a gun bearer?
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    It would really depend on the size of the targets, but going pretty retro and a A1ish build or even a CAR with pencil bbl would be enough to accomplish torso sized target hits reliably. If you are looking at 10 inch plates at 300, then while still doable, a optic would help a lot.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Sent you a PM.

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    Just a follow up on what I posted about earlier. I removed the 9" YHM quad rail handguard from my heavy barrel AR and installed a 13" UTG Pro slim handguard and low profile gas block. Much better! Took a few before and after pics. Not the greatest pics, but maybe get the idea.
    Before

After

The stock will be replaced next and I'll decide what I'm going to do for an optic on it.