Would you give Amazon access to your house for deliveries?

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,731 Senior Member
Heard about this on the news while delivering flowers at 5am.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/10/25/amazon-launches-in-home-delivery-service-called-amazon-key/
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,869 Senior Member
    I've heard about it on the news here as well.

Not just "no" but "HELL NO!!!"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,610 Senior Member
    Right - I'm going to connect my front door to the Internet. Uh-huh.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I wouldn't give amazon access to my outhouse after I just used it.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    No thanks. Even though I have an electronic, combination opened dead bolt at my house, and a rather long list of people who know how to get in (my guest room gets a lot of use, even more so than my actual room frequently), there's no way I'm giving that number to a company and then a random delivery driver.

My instructions for anything that can't be left on the front porch have always been "Leave it behind the back gate."
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,078 Senior Member
    Not likely....there is a galvanized trash can in front of the house for just that purpose....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,731 Senior Member
    This makes my conspiracy theorist come out. At the point that you give any amazon driver access to your house, do you lose any "reasonable expectation of privacy?"

To answer the question - Hell, no.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,658 Senior Member
    No way.
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....NOPE!
    Support your local Scouts!
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Ahhh ... negative on that. We have a large polymer storage chest that our UPS and USPS (which is Amazon’s main carrier) guys leave our stuff in that chest which keeps it dry, from the Labs chewing on, etc. The funny thing is the Fed Ex guys for some reason can’t get out on board but the stuff they bring usually fits inside the storm door anyway.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,527 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Not just "no" but "HELL NO!!!"

Well said.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,744 Senior Member
    Yeah no. Saw this this morning too. No thanks.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,869 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Not unless the delivery comes with a happy ending.
    The delivery drivers that visit you must look a helluva lot better than the ones I have.

The happiest ending they can give me is seeing their ugliness LEAVE my yard:vomit:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,838 Senior Member
    Negative Ghostrider.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,285 Senior Member
    Walmart wants to do it too, put you groceries in the fridge for ya. Of course you have to buy a $250.00 lock and camera first. The IoT is wonderful ain't it.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    :uhm:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Nope. Not buying in on that mess. I guess gun folk are smarter than non gun folk! But you can be that there will be a few million, or maybe a few tens of millions, that will sign up for that 'service'.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,444 Senior Member
    We were discussing this at work from the other side. I get in off the route and the boss says so an so called and the $100 bill that was laying on the table is gone and I must have taken it or you open the door and 2 ankle biters run out into the street. There is no way I would want anything to do with this.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,355 Senior Member
    Neeooooooope.

Given that I’ve had a gun stolen while in transit with UPS, I have zero desire to let some lackie case my house willingly and see what happens.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,751 Senior Member
    Hell NO! What the hell are people thinking?
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    But...... but................. but................ Its another of those things that makes life easier and gives you more time to do things, things like fill out insurance claim forms when your house gets ripped off, or more time to spend in court when you sue the delivery company.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Its yet another red herring for the smartfone crowd.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,386 Senior Member
    No way, my brother lost a $1000.00 camera by giving a pest control company access to his house when he was at work.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,230 Senior Member
    Hell no!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Nope. I will just use the tracking and know when it's on the truck out fer delivery and make sure I'm home if I have to sign for a box or have them take it to a neighbor.

I guess one could use that on a shed or enclosed lockable porch that wouldn't let them in the main house.

How about a lockable "Strong Box" secured to the ground or something? Even a car with a big trunk parked in your driveway, gotta be options.

Still I'll remain a Luddite on this.................I can see where a lot of folks would use it though.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    And just how in the hell do they expect a drone to do that :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 215 Member
    Lemme think about that for a seco......NOPE
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
    Big Chief wrote: »

Mass x velocity = force to drive through plate glass window...

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »

You have to pay for the extra wide door and the auto open feature to allow the drone to fly in, drop the package, and fly back out. Like the auto open doors at Walmart! :tooth: :roll2:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.