I think I remembered how to shoot my XP-100 (Hey Ernie)

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,657 Senior Member
It has been a couple of years since I've even shot my XP-100 (The SE Shoot 2-3 years ago IIRC) and a lot longer since I've hunted with it.

Decided I wanted to hunt with it this season and found a 1/2 box of Barnes 110gr TTSX FB on my bullet shelf.

Figured "why not?" and prepped a few cases. Figured out through QL that the 39.0gr of H4895 I was trying in wife's 308 behind some 125gr SCHPs would be a safe and moderately mild, load with the 110s in the 7mmIHMSA.

Only loaded 5 of them, because I wasn't sure how they would shoot in the XP, and I really didn't feel like having to pull a bunch of bullets if they didn't work out.

Also loaded 5 with 40gr behind my normal 120gr NBT.

Shot the NBT load first and there was a LOT of vertical stringing. Which, if you haven't shot SPs much, indicates that I was varying my grip pressure.

Let the barrel cool while I tested some other loads in the 2 rifles I had with me. When I went back to the XP, I was a little more relaxed and "on my game"

Nowhere near the best group I've shot with this pistol, but for it's first outing in a number of years, I'm not going to complain.

Before you get to the picture, it's rotated 90° for that actual orientation when I was shooting it. The group is actually 1.25" ABOVE the POA not to the left. I had already run it through "Ontarget" for an accurate measurement, so orientating the pic correctly would put the text sideways, and I'm feeling lazy.

So a 0.882", 5 shot group, pretty well zeroed, with a brand new load, in a SP that I haven't shot in years. I think I need to load up a few moe of them and go hunting (Once the season opens)

I'm happy :cool2::applause:
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Looks like you're now a crack pistol shot.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,657 Senior Member
    Here's an old pic of the beast, from when I was re-stocking it with the Walnut stock it's currently wearing.

15" Shilen Barrel (installed by Shilen way back when they actually did that)
    Burris 2-7x32 LER scope (I cannot grasp the idea of using a rifle scope on an SP, sorry Goose :nono: )
    Burris 1 piece mount and rings (Pre-Signature series)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Sub MOA will work for hunting.
    Good restart!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Does your Scope have the BP reticle or plex?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Does your Scope have the BP reticle or plex?
    Plain old fashioned Plex. That scope was made the year of, or the year after they came out with the "Posi-Lok" Weren't nearly as many reticle options back then

Worked out GREAT with my old load. Zero @ 100 and where the plex widens out (on 7x) was spot on @ 300

And for the rest of the load specifics...

W-W 250 Sav case, 3rd loading (Including the fire forming load)
    WLR primers