Helping strangers at the range?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,662 Senior Member
I went to the local WMA range today for some load testing. About half way through what I wanted to test, the young man who'd set up on the bench next to me, asked me to spot his shot on the berm, because he wasn't on paper with his new scope on his 7Mag A-bolt.

I did, he was ~2' left and a 1' low. He dialed and shot again, same basic spot. He'd shot 12 rounds and still wasn't on paper and was about to give up. He'd commented on a couple of my targets so I thought he might be open to some assistance. He was shooting JUST off a bipod.

So, I told him, "If you'd like, and give me 3 shots with your rifle, I can probably at least get you on paper." His mood perked up, I got my front rest and rear bag bag out (I was about to leave) set up on his bench and dialed down the magnification on his scope so that I could see the impacts on the berm.

BOOM... still WAY left and low. Dial one full revolution right and one half revolution up.

BOOM.... Just a little right and high. 1/4 revolution left and the same down.

Then I move to his target... BOOM... 2 INCHES right of the bull and 3" low.

He thanks me profusely and then lets his barrel cool. Dials the 8 clicks left, 12 clicks up, shooting off his bipod again, and just clips the 1" red bull of his target.

He's happy, I'm glad I could help and I got to shoot an A-bolt, for the first time.

How many of y'all do stuff like that when you're at the range too?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 851 Senior Member
    I have never had anyone directly ask for assistance, but I have caught people trying to get a better view of what I was doing. In those cases I adjusted what I was doing and where I was in my shooting booth so they could get a better view.

On a few occasions I have had people take interest in what I was shooting so I would offer up a few rounds for them to try. Most times its a 10mm or the 586 with puff loads. A few take the offer and have a good time.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    I would definitely help anyone who asked, if they didn't strike me as a mass murderer or Islamic terrorist. But, when I'm there, it's always with the know-it-alls and stuffed shirts who would resent somebody trying to teach them something. There are usually a lot of nice folks, too, but they mostly know what they are doing.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    I would too, but, most don't want help
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,897 Senior Member
    I usually don't have anyone around when I shoot
    except at Jerry's
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I helped a guy with his muzzle loader once. He didn't realise that Hodgdon Triple Seven propellant leaves a hard crust just forward of the unburned charge preventing full seating of the bullet he was using. He was actually very knowledgeable otherwise, but unaware of that problem with that powder. I also let him and his nephew use my target.

I've been the recipient as well. A range officer helped me quite a bit at an indoor range I frequented when I was young. He was generally helpful to everyone and a great source of information for people willing to ask and or listen.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I stuttered.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,834 Senior Member
    I've done that a time or two....zeroing a rifle seems to be the bane of a lot of folks...
    One time I had a guy advise me that my 1911 was cocked in the holster and that seemed dangerous to him..so we had a nice history lesson that went very well...I even let him run through a couple of magazines...
    Invariably the biggest attention getters at the range are my Sharps...always end up with folks wanting to shoot them....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,004 Senior Member
    I always take interest in what other people are shooting and like to strike up a conversation. I also get my share of rubberneckers because of my shooting museum pieces I bring to the range. I always offer to let them shoot whatever I bring. I really enjoy letting people shoot the trap doors. I will gladly help but don't like to butt in without being asked.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Depends on the impression the person makes on me. I’ve had some people who I just didn’t get a good feeling about but will answer a question or two and that’s about it but then there’s been quite a few who I’ve helped most of the time I was at the range that day ... especially those who listen or kids. As to zeroing somebody’s rifle I’ll help them from bore sighting it (if possible) to dialing in if ammo is getting low.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,662 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I would definitely help anyone who asked, if they didn't strike me as a mass murderer or Islamic terrorist. But, when I'm there, it's always with the know-it-alls and stuffed shirts who would resent somebody trying to teach them something. There are usually a lot of nice folks, too, but they mostly know what they are doing.
    There was one of them on the other side of him. Once the guy in the middle saw a few of my targets, he quit listening to the "stuffed shirt" on the other side.

I don't volunteer often, but this guy and I had been chatting and he seemed like a nice fellow and I felt bad for his frustration. If he'd declined my offer, I'd have told him no problem and went on with my business.

They were both interested in the XP-100 and the 799/6.5 Grendel. I'd shot all the 7mmIHMSA ammo I'd brought, but let them both shoot the 799

edited to add: He was , my best guess, a 30 something AA male. Drove the 6 miles down the dirt road in a NICE, relatively new Mustang.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    When I do RM duty at the local range, I get asked all kinds of things from new shooters. Sometimes I can't help myself and just offer up a suggestion. Had guy with a Glock locked up tight, could not budge the slide. I asked if there was a round in it and he said yea. So I held it out and shot it, worked fine the rest of the day. Sometimes they come walking in the office with their guns in pieces they can't put back together. I don't mind helping, it the ones who think cause the are experienced, the rules don't apply to them that get my dander up.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,764 Senior Member
    If there's people at the range I go to then they're trespassing, unless I invited them. :tooth:

Last time I went to a public range was about 30 years ago when I was living in Soddy-Daisy, TN. I had bought a new rifle and mounted a scope on it at the range. I'd brought my boresighter with me to get me on paper at 100 yards. I ended up boresighting several new scoped rifles that people were having trouble getting on target. They were typical suburban deer hunters here. Hunt during general gun season and the rifle is put up at end of season until next year.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,489 Senior Member
    Most of the clubs i belonged to were private, we opened them to the public for sight ins before hunting season, the best was when we worked with young kids trying to sight there rifles in, we would help anyone that needed help, all this was free.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    I used to enjoy going to an WMA in GA, I usually was the only one shootin........hunters/fishermen and campers were around. Some are scary they way they handle guns when there was other shooters.

These days where I shoot are a lot of experienced shooters who have been around the block a few times, most are old or older than me. Sometimes I will pass on a tip or two, but usually no need. There are armed ROs there to help too. Sometimes when someone is shootin a like gun we may chat when the range goes cold about a particular firearm or reloading.

I like it best when an occasional smarty pants can't hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle with his $$$ tacticool rig he was assured by the gunshop clerk would do it all without trying........................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    The best is the new/young shooters just getting into the sport, as mentioned. Always willing to help them.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    I'd gladly help, but never been asked. The range I've been going to the last few weeks is private, but open to the public for hunting season. I go as much as I can because its closer than any other range. I only go on weekdays now though, I've been "helped" too many times on weekends. The guys with the Rem 783, Tasco scope and whatever -was-on-sale loads seem to take an interest in my shooting and offer "advice".

Now, I go on weekdays, when there might be 2 other shooters. No free help!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,662 Senior Member
    I'd gladly help, but never been asked. The range I've been going to the last few weeks is private, but open to the public for hunting season. I go as much as I can because its closer than any other range. I only go on weekdays now though, I've been "helped" too many times on weekends. The guys with the Rem 783, Tasco scope and whatever -was-on-sale loads seem to take an interest in my shooting and offer "advice".

Now, I go on weekdays, when there might be 2 other shooters. No free help!

That's why I went today. Both of the Universities in town(UA and Stillman) and the Community college have VERY limited class schedules on Fridays, So a bunch of college kids there on Fridays and EVERYBODY and their brother are there on the weekends this close to the start of hunting season (Regular firearm season opens 11/18/17)

When there are youngins shootin...........they sometimes look my way and I can almost make them out sayin 'look at that old fart shooting a gun older than him........didn't know they made ammo for them still......................'
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    I always take interest in what other people are shooting and like to strike up a conversation. . .

So YOU'RE the guy that made me go out and buy THIS and wear it to the range even in the scorching heat of July:

:jester:

When Pop and I roll out to the range, it's often with a large chronograph, note-taking material, and old, odd things, and my "make it interesting" distance with handguns is usually beyond the norm. Consequently, we get asked a lot of questions. As long as I'm not in the middle of shooting a group (interrupt this at your peril), I usually try to help them get sorted.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,327 Senior Member
    Only if asked, and even that, I try to take a close look to the person and his stuff before helping. Ranges here usually have no RM and "guy in charge" is usually more ignorant that the one in trouble.

If I see someone putting himself or others (Me included) in danger I usually take action and kindly suggest checking his gun handling; if not listened, I quickly pack my stuff and leave, giving the person in charge a warning about the problematic shooter.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    I have a strange gravitational effect when I'm at indoor ranges. I've never quite been able to put my finger on what it is about me that says, 'Hey, ask that guy', but it happens more often than not. Glad I come here and learn so that when I go there I at least don't look stupid.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    We rarely have someone that inexperienced. All members are club members and most serious shooters-hunters. But now and then we find someone who just joined the club because he bought a new deer rifle and scope and is trying to sight in the scope, so if he looks lost, of course I'll help if he wants help. Otherwise I get back away and enjoy the show.

When shooting in a rifle first of all I do it at no further than 50 yards to get on paper. I'll shoot three rounds for group. If it patterns I check for something, mounting screws, loose. If I find something I'll fix the problem if possible and proceed on with shooting. If not I'll go home and check things out. Once I did this and could find no problem and finally deduced that I had a scope problem. Ended up buying a new scope.

If it groups ok then I'll make necessary adjustments and walk it up on the paper and to where I want the POI. Then I'll back off to 100 yards and usually set it an inch and a half high at 100. That puts me dead on at 200 or close to it. Then my .270 will be about 6.5" Low at 300. My .280 about the same. I pretty well know how each of my rfles shoot, as in drop at a specific range.

But, I don't know other people's rifles. That's when you gotta be careful if you're helping someone else. You don't leave anything to chance, at least I won't. I'm more careful with other peoples sight in than my own. I don't want to set them up for a miss. If there's a problem I can't diagnose I tell them straight out, as I'm sure most here would do, to go find someone more experienced, or maybe a good gun smith to diagnose the problem. I tell them don't hunt with a questionable rifle. It can leave you high and dry with an animal to track or with no animal at all. Frustration in any case.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 265 Member
    I like letting people shoot my toys. But if they are having a tough time sighting in, I will spot scope for them. I wouldn't like to have some one actually site in for me unless truly needed, lik ea hunt where i flew in but they drove and hand my toys. Only due to each person behind the trigger has there own fit to the gun. I had the displeasure to borrow a shotgun from a friend for deer season and well the sighting was so jacked up that the gun required a card tapped tot eh stock for distance and hold over and hold windage patterns. which made me go hmmm nope. Besides I can be real strange on iron sights let alone glass.
    If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
    Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.
  • RAEIndustriesRAEIndustries Member Posts: 68 Member
    Yes I’ve helped several times if their open to it
  • Green Mtn. BoyGreen Mtn. Boy New Member Posts: 34 Member
    To reply to the question,some of my best friends were once strangers I met on one range or another. GMB
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    I have a strange gravitational effect when I'm at indoor ranges. I've never quite been able to put my finger on what it is about me that says, 'Hey, ask that guy', but it happens more often than not. Glad I come here and learn so that when I go there I at least don't look stupid.

It's probably because you're hitting your targets. I used to go to an indoor range, and there are usually quite a few folks there who are new shooters that passed their CC test, but still can't shoot bulls eyes past 5 yards. It starts out with them asking you to shoot their gun and see if the sights are off, and ends up with you showing them how to grip the gun and follow through. Teach that to a new guy and they will be your buddy until they get as good as you are. :tooth:
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    I’m still too much of a noob for anyone to ask for my help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,089 Senior Member
    I’m still too much of a noob for anyone to ask for my help.

Pretty much the same here - I was just glad I was able to demonstrate proper usage of an UpLula mag loader at the SE shoot to someone!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,543 Senior Member
    I've been told that I don't look approachable so I don't get many people asking for help but I'm actually okay with that. If someone asked though, I'd be happy to help.
    Many years ago, I used to shoot at a private range during the day, during the week and there was rarely anyone else around and I used to see this one older gentleman pretty regularly on the 50yd pistol range while I was struggling to shoot a group smaller than a pizza pan. One day he asked if I would mind some advice and I told him sure. After about half an hour of practicing what he told me, my 50yd groups dropped from around 16" to around 6" with a 1911. I'll owe that guy forever.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,429 Senior Member
    I don't go out of my way, but Ken55 has been a long term member because he asked me a question about his Garand. I had no answer for him, but I wrote down the G&A Forums web address and told him to direct his question to Mkk41.

Ken's been around for a long time now.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter