Ruger Mark III 22/45

Haw1936Haw1936 New MemberPosts: 10 New Member
Moved from Classifieds. Post does not fit Classifieds and member must have 30 posts before using that section

Traded for a Mark III Ruger a few weeks ago. I read where it would make a preacher cuss attempting to reassemble it. So, I put 300 rounds through it and decided it needed cleaning. It almost fell apart by itself. I thought that perhaps the negative remarks were overrated. Cleaned the pistol than began reassembling it. An hour later I was thinking I had not made a good trade. Now I knew why my friend after trying to reassemble his newly purchased Mark III put it aside and went out and bought the Mark IV. My problem was, I didn't know what I had done after an hour of frustration, to make my III go back together. In desperation I decided to Google YouTube and see if Ruger had a solution. I tried reading the manual that came with the gun, but I've never been good with Math reading problems! What I found was an Ruger employee, an older fellow, showing how to do it. You MUST pay attention! After making a few mistakes, I finally had it down. I finally got it down to 4 minutes. That record stil stands, but I've had to take several refresher courses from the Ruger guy. No, you don't have to hold your mouth just right, the pistol you do! Now I can usually get it back together in less that 10 minutes. Sometimes a few minutes more if I forget one of those directions to point the muzzle! I ordered some nice wooden grips with the Ruger logo on them. They didn't fit although the ad said they would go with the II and III. My pistol has a polymer lower. It is different from the metal lower. Another lesson learned. In spite of all the new lessons learned, I enjoy shooting the little pistol. So far I've put about 800 rounds through it. Oh, one more lesson. When you are going to shoot a 22 pistol and 9mm, shoot the 9mm first. If not, the first shot after shooting the .22 will make you think you've double charged the cartridge! Oh, one other thing. I've been a preacher for 60 years. I didn't cuss when reassembling my Ruger that first time, but I hired a fellow who wasn't one to Christen it with a few choice words! Well, not really, but I did think about it!

another 10+ times, just practicing

Replies

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    You can buy a 10.00 bushing to replace the mag safety and eliminate some of that frustration, like putting the mag in and out to reassemble. Plus the mags drop out and the trigger gets a little better. Best 10 bucks you can spend on a gun.

And welcome.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    In a time span slightly exceeding 20 years I've disassembled my MK II just once. I reassembled it successfully using just the manual, but well I don't recall the exact problems I've never forgotten the resulting frustration.

I remain otherwise very happy with it. It's accurate durable and reliable.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    I have probably fired 7000 or so rounds through my 22/45 MK-III in the past 7 years, and I have never taken it apart. When it gets to looking particularly grungy I just take the grips off and spray it down with brake cleaner.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,068 Senior Member
    I disassemble and clean my Mark III every 600 rds - and it needs it!

Yea, its a learning curve, but once you know how to do it...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,999 Senior Member
    That's why I have a Buckmark!!
  • Haw1936Haw1936 New Member Posts: 10 New Member
    That Big Al1, yours was the last one and it made me laugh, not because you own a Buskmark, but because it was different. Sometimes different is what we need to make our day. Thanks for motivating my laughter. Thanks to the others for your comments.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,978 Senior Member
    They can be a PITA (MK I II IIIs) until you get the hang of it to take apart. I should say to do the Hangy Down Thingy Hook Trick putting one back together. You know you screwed the pooch when the bolt won't retract! Since Ruger repaired mine I have a different reason not to do that. That is the more you do the looser the bbl/receiver fit to the frame gets when you reassemble one. I just spray Gun Scrubber or similar on my MKII Govt Tgt and won't strip it completely unless I really have to.

I disassembled a MK II bull bbl 5 1/2" down to everything I could back in the 80s and ended up taking all the parts in a ziploc bag to a gunsmith friend to put back together again and had him cussing, but he got it right. I got a well deserved lecture on never ever do that again and STOP at user level.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Ruger has fantastic customer service. :applause: :applause: The bolt stop cracked in half on mine. They repaired it for free and tightened up the frame to upper that had some lateral play/wobble as well. They even had the UPS man bring the label and scheduled the pick up. All I had to do was box it up. Plus I had it back in just over a week. Functions and shoots like a champ now. :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Was weird when I noticed something was wrong on the range with mine. My trigger finger actually hurt every time I pulled the trigger, was stinging. I was thunking this can't be........... from a .22? I surmise it was vibrations from recoil when it hit the bolt stop (that rod like piece that protrudes through the top like a round button behind the rear sight).
    A friend wants me to sell his Mark III for him. Naturally I have to take it to the indoor range and put at least 100 rounds through it. I have noticed that it is a lot harder to pull the bolt back to cock it than mine. His had no sights on it, so I put the one I had on it so I can shoot it. The barrel is also threaded because he has a silencer. Squirrels don't know what hit them! He bought a Mark IV. I'd like to shoot it too just to see what its like. BTW, what did you to to remedy your problems? The trigger on my III is great. The trigger on my friend's III is great too. After oiling down the inside of the slide area and also the bolt, I don't have any problems cocking it. Of course with beginning signs of Mr. Arthur, I have put a lever on the back of the bolt to make charger easier.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    ...taking all the parts in a ziploc bag to a gunsmith friend to put back together again and had him cussing, but he got it right. I got a well deserved lecture on never ever do that again and STOP at user level.

Ah! The famous mechanic's lecture: "Don't you EVER do that again, and if you do, DON'T bring it here!" :roll2:

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Well, I'm trying to beat that 4 minute record I set, so just for the fun of it, I take it apart and try to outdo my record. I guess if my begins to loosen up too much, I can send it in to Ruger and they will fix it. I would sell it and buy the IV, but I'm 81, so I really don't need it. I might be like the 96 year old woman at the funeral home where they had her husband's funeral. The director asked her if she was going home. She replied, "I don't know if it's really necessary since I'm already here. I can still dream though, but don't see much use in buying a lot of stuff that the wife will probably give away any how. I took her out shooting once. The first five rounds she completely missed the figure. After I reloaded the revolver, I told her she had 5 more opportunities to stop the perp. She was alone, he had cut the phone lines (before cell) he had kicked in the back door, he told her he was going to rape her and then slit her throat. She aimed and put two shots through the groin area. I haven't bothered to take her anymore. I also don't make her mad!
    The first time out with the III I shot 300 rounds through it. It began giving me feeding problems so I took it home and cleaned it. The second time I went I put 250 rounds through it. It didn't like the ammo I was using. The third time I didn't shoot much. I still had some of the ammo that had given me problems. The round would enter the throat of the chamber and hit the top and hang. I'd remove the mag and shake it loose. Usually that round was dented, so I would throw it away. The bullet would have a flat place on it, usually with a small burr. I guess caused by jamming it into the top of the chamber. The ammo I was using was a hollow point. It has a problem loading them. It likes the round nose cartridges. There is a round with a shiny black bullet that is coated lead. It eats them up. There is a copper round that it likes that I believe is CCI. The Winchester, Anquilla lead, and a few others don't seem to do as well. The gun must be female! My apologies to the female human population!
    .22 semis are finicky and definitely have their preferences fer ammo. Even pistols from the same maker can feed and shoot different ammo brands/types better than others.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,525 Senior Member
    My wife bought ne a MKII about 10 years ago from our friends LGS. She gets much better prices than I for some reason. I took it apart and cleaned it. Got so frustrated attempting to put it back together, I had to set it down and walk away for a bit.
    Watched the youtube video a few time then did it step by step. That was the last time it was disassembled. Now i remove the grips, run a bore snake through it and wipe it down. When it gets real dirty I spray it, wipe it and put the grips back on.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,326 Senior Member
    I got a slightly used MkIII whose previous owner had clearly never taken it apart or lubed it; killing 2 birds with a single stone, I got a Volquartsen sear (GREAT trigger upgrade) and took it apart to both clean/lube it and replace the factory part.
    To reassemble it I needed to carefully watch a few YouTube tutorials until found one that was the best for me and it really helped to put it together after quite a while of fumbling with it.

I've so far fired like 2k rounds since then and only have cleaned the bore/chamber and every nook and cranny I can reach with the opened action and grips removed, for which a set of plastic (Available on B.P.S.) & stainless steel (eBay) dental tools have helped A LOT, along with cloth and WD-40. Finished lubing the rub spots of the internals with a light coat of gun grease and so far reliability has been 100% even with the cheapest, worst reputed bulk ammo.

Friend of mine claims using carb cleaning fluid to spray the internals and then let is soak all the grime for a day before replacing the grips (He has removed the plastic loaded chamber indicator....that product might damage plastic) and lubing with a tad of gun oil. Claims no issues so far.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    When I finally bought my first .22LR pistol, I bought an S&W 22 Victory, mainly because of the problems people describe regarding the Rugers. The breakdown/reassembly on the S&W is easy, but it does require an allen wrench, which I don't care for. On balance, not a big deal.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    BAMAAK,
    Ordered the bushing, got it and installed it. Took abut 15 minutes once I got everything where I could install it. It probably would have gone faster, but I had to start up the YouTube video by Tandemkross to make sure I was inserting the bushing correctly. It works great. Now I'm waiting for a couple of other pieces to come in so I can install them. The upgrades don't break my bank and if the other two do as well as this bushing, then GREAT!
    BTW, anyone with a Mark III that isn't the 22/45, I've got two pair of grips I'll give away to whoever will send me one of those cushy envelops with enough stamps on it to handle one pair of pseudo ivory and the second one that is CoCo wood. they certainly will not fit the 22/45! I don't think they make any cheap grips that look worth anything for the 22/45!
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    Haw1936 wrote: »
    BAMAAK,
    Ordered the bushing, got it and installed it. Took abut 15 minutes once I got everything where I could install it. It probably would have gone faster, but I had to start up the YouTube video by Tandemkross to make sure I was inserting the bushing correctly. It works great. Now I'm waiting for a couple of other pieces to come in so I can install them. The upgrades don't break my bank and if the other two do as well as this bushing, then GREAT!

The next biggest improvement yo can make is the VQ sear. Should bring your trigger pull down to about 2 lbs. An adjustable trigger gets rid of a lot of slop, I prefer the TK but the VQ works well too.

How do those mags come out now?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    I'll have to look at the VQ Sear and a trigger a little later. Can't spend too much in one months time since I'm on a limited income. I really like not having to go through the mag insert and all to take the pistol down and put it back together. I think I can beat my 4 minute record of putting it back together now! I'v had the crud since last Friday and other than being to the doc, I have not been out of the house. I hope I can get out tomorrow, since I have a prayer breakfast at 8 and a young male members died in his car after he got in it to go home. The funeral is tomorrow afternoon at the church building. He was 34. Left a wife and three small children under 10. I hope he had a good life insurance policy.
    I put a BAM bushing into my MK III and was surprised at how much it improved the trigger by itself.

Other items: Beautiful rosewood grips from Altamont, a TK extended slide stop lever, a TacSol extractor at about 6,000 rds, and I just ordered one of these:

http://www.hammerstrutsupport.com/

Over-priced at $17 shipped for what it is, but it solves the worst of the re-assy issues with this gun. As I do a complete disassembly and clean every 600 rds, this gizmo should streamline it a bit. No more waving the gun around to get the strut to go where its supposed to.

Unlike most, I have NOT removed the LCI - I like them personally. A fair number of my pistols have them in one form or another.

I am surprised how a $9.99 + shipping bushing, has made my pistol so easy to take down and reassemble. It is almost like owning a Mark IV without paying the extra $100 or more! I enjoy my 22/45 and usually put 200 to 300 rounds through it each time I frequent the indoor range close to the house. I've been battling the "crud" the past several days and looking forward to getting out and shooting some. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.