Parts turning into a gun!

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,768 Senior Member
gunsmith informed me my barrel he made was ready, so into the mail the action went! Should be about 2 weeks, and I'll have my 275 Rigby back and ready to fit into the stock I bought. Won't be able to use it on anything but paper, unless I go through with the Oklahoma pig hunt, but I'm stoked to get my first full custom almost done!

FN ww2 98
Douglas blank turned to "Duke of Marlborough" contour (near same as a Rigby stalking rifle)
Buehler safety
Timney trigger
American walnut stock, I'm shaping/ finishing

1:9 twist, 275 Rigby Hi Velocity chamber. Its basically a 7x57 but throated for 140 and under bullets
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,621 Senior Member
    I jumped off the train at “throated for 140 and under bullets”.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

I've got a ton of 120-140 7mm that came with my bench. Besides, 150 and heavier need more powder
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    I've got a ton of 120-140 7mm that came with my bench. Besides, 150 and heavier need more powder

That's what I believe. I have a .280 for 150-160 grain bullets. My 7x57 will be geared around 140 grain bullets. I have shot 140 and 150 grains in my .270 as well as my 280. The .270 will shoot the heavier bullets just fine, but I think the 130 grain is the soul of the .270. It has great velocity and is perfect for deer and hogs. I've killed at least one hog at approximately 330 yards with a 130 grain SGK. The .270 with a 130 grain and the .280 with a 150 grain covers most of what I shoot just fine and I'm anxious to see how the 7x57 with a 140 grain will handle that same medium game. I'm thinking it will work just fine. If not, I can pull out one of my .25s with a 115-117 grain bullet. I've got the middle ground covered now when I get the 7x57 up and running. Now to get my parts to my Gun Smith as well.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    That is a cool rig! What power is the scope? 275 Rigby is British name for the 7x57, are you going to get brass with the 275 Rigby stamps? Why a Bueler safety vs Timney trigger with a Remington style side safety?

Since it is contoured as a stalking rifle why not take it for deer? 130s should be fine on deer and elk at stalking ranges.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member

Well, that was the end, so... :jester:

Sounds like a neat rig!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Freezer wrote: »
    That is a cool rig! What power is the scope? 275 Rigby is British name for the 7x57, are you going to get brass with the 275 Rigby stamps? Why a Bueler safety vs Timney trigger with a Remington style side safety?

Since it is contoured as a stalking rifle why not take it for deer? 130s should be fine on deer and elk at stalking ranges.

Hornady is now stamping 275 brass! I'll have 7x57 on the other side of the barrel, in case it ever travels and brass has to match. I've already picked up 100 Remington 7x57 brass moths ago.

The gun came with the trigger and safety. Ideally I'd like a 3 position M70 style, but that an expensive upgrade.

My deer season is already over, that's why it won't get used this year
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    I have used the Beuhler safety but I prefer the Chapman safety conversion. It converts your gas shield into a two position safety model 70 style.
    Here's one already done.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mauser-Bolt-Shroud-with-Swing-safety-Knob-lever-installed/192342476618?hash=item2cc881474a:g:JC4AAOSw6mdZ5SaR
    I need a 7x57 Mauser. I WANT a 7x57 Mauser.

I can’t stand the 7mm-08 Remington. Don’t know why. It’s weird, I know.

But, the 7x57 just has panache.

Maybe next year’s project. Gotta find the right platform, though.

There is just SOMETHING about it. The 7-08 makes more sense, the 280 makes more sense. But they just ain't the 7x57.

Encore barrel? Not many platforms fit "just right" outside of yugo mausers. Even the 98 is longer than needed. But I know those aren't your thing. Maybe a Ruger?
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    The 275 brass is cool. I hope you're able to actually take it stalking.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    early wrote: »
    The 275 brass is cool. I hope you're able to actually take it stalking.

I'll probably put in for the hunt I just did again, either as a 2nd choice or an additional tag, its a B license, usually with leftovers. Mostly open hilltops with some dense timber here and there, should work nicely
    There is just SOMETHING about it. The 7-08 makes more sense, the 280 makes more sense. But they just ain't the 7x57.

Encore barrel? Not many platforms fit "just right" outside of yugo mausers. Even the 98 is longer than needed. But I know those aren't your thing. Maybe a Ruger?

I have a 16” Encore barrel in .280 Remington and a Ruger M77 Varmint in .280 Remington. No real allure to do a Encore in 7x57.

My my first choice would be a Ruger No.1 A or International. But, no desire to spend that kind of money.

So, I’m kinda screwed.
    Ooooooh, a No. 1 in 7x57. That sir, is class.

Just checked GB.....yikes. that is a chunk 'O change for the couple available.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,560 Senior Member

I hear you. Seem like in this crowd, you can't throw a proverbial rock without hitting a 7mm-08 fan. But it just doesn't pull my wagon.

I have a couple of 7s, but neither are 08s. The ones I have (7mag and .284 Winchester) do what they're supposed to do, which is about all I can ask.

I like the idea of the 7x57 in a modern action, but doubt very seriously I'll ever get to the point I just have to have one.

Dan, I'm looking forward to your range report. It should make a dandy goat and muley round.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I hear you. Seem like in this crowd, you can't throw a proverbial rock without hitting a 7mm-08 fan. But it just doesn't pull my wagon.

I have a couple of 7s, but neither are 08s. The ones I have (7mag and .284 Winchester) do what they're supposed to do, which is about all I can ask.

I like the idea of the 7x57 in a modern action, but doubt very seriously I'll ever get to the point I just have to have one.

Dan, I'm looking forward to your range report. It should make a dandy goat and muley round.

I have/had just about all the 7mm's, and the .284 is still my favorite!
    Jerry that 284 is pretty dang neat! Like the 7x57, just something about it. I always keep my eyes open for a used M70 in 7-08, quick trip to the smith and poof, 284.

No real purpose for the 275/7x57 except.... because. I've always had a fondness for the turn of the century British rifles. Narrow and light. I tend to hold my rifles back towards the action naturally, so those short Rigby stocks are prefect. The original ultralight hunters!

I imagine it'll come out looking like a more working man's version of this
    https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/wp-content/uploads/Highland_Stalker_labelled_1920x550-1920x550.jpg

I suppose if any leopards or tigers got loose, this gun could be pressed into adequate service

https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/wp-content/uploads/tumblr_inline_nphbrh3gbD1simnid_500.jpg
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    About time! It's taken you what 10-12 years to finally go through with one?

Sounds like a great rifle.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    Freezer wrote: »

A Beuler blocks the firing pin same as the original Mauser safety. But the original Mauser safety won't clear a scope unless you mount it very high. I have one Beuler and love it. It's simple and easy to operate. And, with a true Mauser (CRF) where it feeds out of the magazine only (You cant lay a round on the magazine follower) all you have to do to empty the mag is point the rifle in a safe direction and jack the bolt all the way back and fourth. It will empty the magazine without ever locking the bolt down on a live round. So with the Beuler though you only have two positions It is possible to operate safely and if you drop it it won't go off. AND it's smooth. I'm putting a Beuler on my 7x57 even though the commercial Mauser action has a two position Remington style safety on it now. I'm replacing it with a Beuler.
    Those safeties that only block the trigger don't give me the warm and fuzzy.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj wrote: »
    So you'd rather have something that has "panache", even though the the ballistic twin of which you have unlimited free brass, nevemind.
    No accounting for crazy.

Yeah. I know. And it would be the smartest route.

Seeing as I have everything to build a remington 700 SA. And Remington doesn’t make a 7x57.

I should just quite mt botching and build a 7-08.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member

Tikka..............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,751 Senior Member

My my first choice would be a Ruger International. But, no desire to spend that kind of money.

So, I’m kinda screwed.
    You won't remember the $$$ in the long run. My M77 walnut and stainless 7x57 international was just over 7 bills. Worth. Every. Cent.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek wrote: »
    You won't remember the $$$ in the long run. My M77 walnut and stainless 7x57 international was just over 7 bills. Worth. Every. Cent.

Hush, you.
    Hush, you.
    :devil:
    :devil:

If we ever meet, I am going to shake your head vigorously. Then, kick you square in the yam sack.
    cpj wrote: »
    So you'd rather have something that has "panache", even though the the ballistic twin of which you have unlimited free brass, nevemind.
    No accounting for crazy.

****! You have me looking at ballistics and parts prices.
    If we ever meet, I am going to shake your head vigorously. Then, kick you square in the yam sack.
    :roll2:
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    Snake I understand the difference in the safety systems. I prefer the Mod 70 then the Rem systems. Safety is in the hands and head of the handler.

What Vortex scope will it wear?

I'm not going to look at the international! I'm Not.. .I'm not...I'm not

OH Shiznit :love:
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

I would be remiss to spend that much on that gun. Regardless of how much I want it.
    I would be remiss to spend that much on that gun. Regardless of how much I want it.
    Like you’ve never done that before.....:wink: