"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,751 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Yeah. And it hurt really bad, too.
    Oh it hurt so good. :roll2:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    ****! You have me looking at ballistics and parts prices.

Remember when comparing ballistics....the 7x57 is most likely loaded waaaay down, due to pre-98 mausers. In a modern gun, more powder is more powder. It should run closer to original 280 loads, when they refocused reduced it for the 742.

Its a little tough to come by 60k+ data, I think the highest I've seen recently was in tbe 55k range. A lot of load data is sub 50k
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    jbohio wrote: »
    About time! It's taken you what 10-12 years to finally go through with one?

Sounds like a great rifle.

Indeed! Full out custom yes, been too long. Its nice finally being in a place financially I can play around more then little tweeks. I've done stocks/triggers/ paint, but FINALLY full on customs! And they'll be snowballing now lol. 1 is due back any day from getting an MPI stock fitted and painted, that'll be getting rebored to 338-06 or 35 Whelen. Just need to make an appointment to get the sewer pipe screwed onto another mauser and get chambered. And once I'm done with hunting season, the guy who is doing the 275 will be doing a 9.3x62 when he turns another batch of barrels.

Got ANOTHER CRF M70 being shipped here, in 300 Wby. That hopefully will be going to Caleb along with my 375 barrel to get screwed on and become a 375 Wby.
    After that.... I'm leaning REAL hard on another big bore I haven't discussed here. Barrel guy has a tube, but its an Oberndorf mauser profile.... debating real hard if I want to put that on a M70 or try to convince Shilen to make me a barrel in a contour they no longer advertise.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,551 Senior Member
    Jerry that 284 is pretty dang neat! Like the 7x57, just something about it. I always keep my eyes open for a used M70 in 7-08, quick trip to the smith and poof, 284.

No real purpose for the 275/7x57 except.... because. I've always had a fondness for the turn of the century British rifles. Narrow and light. I tend to hold my rifles back towards the action naturally, so those short Rigby stocks are prefect. The original ultralight hunters!

I imagine it'll come out looking like a more working man's version of this
    https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/wp-content/uploads/Highland_Stalker_labelled_1920x550-1920x550.jpg

I suppose if any leopards or tigers got loose, this gun could be pressed into adequate service

https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/wp-content/uploads/tumblr_inline_nphbrh3gbD1simnid_500.jpg

Half the guns (Ok, maybe more than half) I own are ones I own 'because'. It's as good a reason as any.

As for the .284, I've taken a goat and a mule deer with mine. Maybe I'll hunt with it again, maybe I won't. Doesn't matter, though. I'll hang on to it.

Just because.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Half the guns (Ok, maybe more than half) I own are ones I own 'because'. It's as good a reason as any.

As for the .284, I've taken a goat and a mule deer with mine. Maybe I'll hunt with it again, maybe I won't. Doesn't matter, though. I'll hang on to it.

Just because.

We ought to form a group. Every now and then I take a look in my safe and think, “I never shoot this, I could sell it and get...”. Then I think “Nah, it’s just cool!”
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,551 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    We ought to form a group. Every now and then I take a look in my safe and think, “I never shoot this, I could sell it and get...”. Then I think “Nah, it’s just cool!”

Uh, we are that group!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    This thread has got me thinking that I really need to get the Mauser 8x57J out of the safe and go take it up to the range..............:bang:

mauser8X57J088.jpg
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,233 Senior Member
    A serviceable looking rifle, there. I like the minimalist approach and like the caliber, too.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,612 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    This thread has got me thinking that I really need to get the Mauser 8x57J out of the safe and go take it up to the range..............:bang:

mauser8X57J088.jpg

I hate you.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,346 Senior Member
    You made a lot of good choices on this build. Great trigger, great barrel, great chambering.

I think you need to get to Africa, buddy.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Uh, we are that group!

Oh. Right.

Carry on.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »

Well if I could stop buying guns.......
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    You made a lot of good choices on this build. Great trigger, great barrel, great chambering.

My vote is for New Zealand.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    gunsmith sent a PM this morning, gun arrived, deposit cashed, barrel already removed.

He says the action is in great shape, so everything is good to go!! He already turned the barrel a few weeks ago, so all that needs to be done is thread and chamber, check feeding and it'll be done possibly by the end of the week.

Think I'll have him do my 9.3x62 next on my no name mauser 98. People over on AR have had great results with his barrels, and the original Oberndorf pattern has grown on me. Just need to buy new bottom metal. Thinking of buying surplus commercial hinged floor plate, numrich has some Parker Hale and FN pieces. I'd go for the PAWS from Brownell, but that engraved floorplate....yuck