.30 Carbine/Mosin W-muzzle brake/M-96 Swede Range Report

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Thought I'd hit the range this morning, little chilly at first. Anyhow, the M1 Carbine did just fine with older ammo/my reloads, no issues except the ADJ rear sight started to come a little loose in the slot, so I'll have to use something to tighten up its fit better.

The M-96 Swedish Mauser did very well with my reloads using 140 grain and 100 grain bullets. I think I'm getting used to those MoJo peep sights front and rear, you see two circles.

And last, but not least I fired one of my Mosin Nagants, Hex receiver with one of those Howling Raven muzzle brakes installed. Man they actually work and work very good. About like a .223 and a little more, not much when standing and much less than a .308 when at the bench. They really tamed the Russian Mule. It stayed put with the 3 hex screws they attach to. I did use some blue thread lock on them.

So if you have one or more of them Russian Mules I highly recommend one........THESE ACTUALLY WORK..........unlike others I have read about. Also, if you have a big sardine can or more of 440 rounds of 7.62X54R or more and want to Enjoy shootin it............here is the way. Although I fired my reloads, I got some of that surplus in the garage in tins mostly.

I like them so much I just ordered 2 more. One for my oldest brother to put on his MN and one for the 3rd 91/30 I own so I won't have to swap them back and forth. These ONLY FIT the 91/30 not the M-44s/91-59s or the Finnish M39 reworks.

The HR muzzle brake cuts the recoil by 50%. On sale fer $29.95 were $49.95 and had a MSRP of $69.99 so....................http://www.howlingraven.com/Mosin-Nagant-9130-Muzzle-Brake-p/hrmb-9130.htm

I am not affiliated with them or any company.

All shootin was @ 50 yards, iron sights.

All in all a great morning at the range shootin some MILSURPS. :guns: :guns:

.30 M1 Carbine

uGYoH81.jpg

Hex receiver Mosin Nagant

JH6THsZ.jpg

M-96 Swedish Mauser

O4XGVEZ.jpg
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Sorry, I had to fiddle with the link to copy on Imgur.

All them Mosins shoot high, but dang I'll take it. I started aiming for the 6 oclock and then went lower.

The 6.5 Swede was dead on, but it takes some getting used to to see a rear circle and smaller front one inside it with them MoJo peep sights. I may order some more inserts to change what I see.

Lucky with my ole eyes and bifocals to hit the paper..............................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,351 Senior Member
    Nice shooting....nothing like a day on the range with old milsurps.
    Any pics of the rifles?
    A few quick snaps before I clean them. Oh that is a SAMCO orSARCO(?) after market muzzle brake/flash hider I bought years ago. It actually acts as a muzzle brake a little and flash hider............whatever it is you can tell the difference. The hole just lets a .264/6.5 bullet slide through it. Yeah I know.............makes a purty rifle sorta ugly. I have a cap to screw on too.

3OPCTbZ.jpg

30 Carbine Inland 1943

CwxzI7R.jpg

Tco3AN6.jpg

The Lee Sisters, Ugly and Uglier ................two of my 1920s Hex receiver Mosin Nagant 7.62X54R

Pu6WKYA.jpg

idKACv2.jpg
    Oh, those two range bags are VooDoo make. Nice and compact with plenty of pockets/pouches. Rural King had them on sale a while back about half price.............seem really well made. One thing, man oh man, did they have a chemical smell when I got them, smelled like formaldehyde or something........I put them in the garage fer a couple weeks to sorta air them out.............still can smell it, but not near as bad. Tag says the bags can cause cancer in La La Land (California) they may be right they STANK...................
    Like your '43 Inland; I've got one too ('44) and it's very nice to use.

Mosins aren't beautiful but.....utilitarian? the hex receiver model is a tad nicer though. Caliber (Same as our tanks & helicopters MGs) make them unavailable here :angry:; wouldn't mind to own a few!
    I would like to give a shout out to Teach for the good work he did on my M1 Carbine. The Castle Nut came loose on it some years ago and I unbeknownst never checked it. Anyway it caused a crack to form in the gas piston housing under the barrel. which turned it into a single shot manual cycle rifle. He welded it up for me and staked it. It held then and is still holding.

I was contemplating buy a new Criterion bbl and have it installed, but can put that off for now. I may buy one at the current prices and keep it O/H. Teach said he didn't know how long the repair would last, but so far so good.

I have a GI manual for it now which addresses specifically the Castle Nut and how to check if it is tight and staked through a small hole in the housing. I also bought a special GI issue wrench just for removing and installing the Castle Nut. Now, if I could only find it.................................
    Antonio wrote: »
    Like your '43 Inland; I've got one too ('44) and it's very nice to use.

Mosins aren't beautiful but.....utilitarian? the hex receiver model is a tad nicer though. Caliber (Same as our tanks & helicopters MGs) make them unavailable here :angry:; wouldn't mind to own a few!

You mean they use the 7.62X54R cartridge or the 7.62 NATO cartridge. Two very different animals.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 976 Senior Member
    Those sights do look like they would be odd to get used to. If I ever buy another M96 and its not in good shape, I may make it a play thing and do something like those sights.
    mitdr774 wrote: »
    Those sights do look like they would be odd to get used to. If I ever buy another M96 and its not in good shape, I may make it a play thing and do something like those sights.

No permanent changes to the rifle. This M-96 belonged to a late brother of mine. The bolt is turned down, he had a scope mounted on it at one time and I saw him hitting targets @ 200 yards with good groups at a range down by Punta Gorda with it some years ago. He was a meticulous reloader.

They make sights for a variety of MILSURPS.

https://www.mojosights.com/
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    We know you're an unaffiliated enthusiast of remarkability.:cool:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    I should say if you get the Snap sights with the front sight peep hole you may have to file the MoJo to fit your rifle, not your rifle. The rear is windage and elevate adjustable and you just remove the original rear sight and save it in case you ever want to go back to its original configuration.
    early wrote: »
    We know you're an unaffiliated enthusiast of remarkability.:cool:

Hey, I just wanna get some more shootin pleasure outta them ole MILSURPS any way I can while I'm still on this side of the dirt.

Plus, I do have 2 heart stents and although it isn't likely to, but can happen, I'd rather not knock one loose from heavy kickin rifles like them Russian Mules.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 976 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    No permanent changes to the rifle. This M-96 belonged to a late brother of mine. The bolt is turned down, he had a scope mounted on it at one time and I saw him hitting targets @ 200 yards with good groups at a range down by Punta Gorda with it some years ago. He was a meticulous reloader.

They make sights for a variety of MILSURPS.

https://www.mojosights.com/

I know its not a permanent change to the rifle, but my surplus M96 is a mostly numbers matching from 1905 and I would rather not change it. I always keep an eye out for them when i go to shows.

Thank you for the link to the website.
    We bought them back when they were $99 bucks ea. I left my M-96 original and only put a taller front sight post on it. My late brother also bought a carbine or short rifle one my nephew has. I believe all the numbers match on them. Mine was made in 1900 and his 1908.

These days they are asking crazy prices for MILSURPS of all flavors.
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 230 Member
    my inland is also a 43- and will shoot 2" groups @ 100 yds with a minimal rest using the peep and 55 year old eyes- I try to kill a deer with it every year- if I do it this year I'll post a pic
    Specifically banned for civilians here are: 5.56 NATO (But not .223 Remington), 7.62x39mm., 7.62 NATO (But not .308 Winchester), 7.62x54R, .338 Lapua and .50BMG; others can be added to the list if local authority decides so. Recent law took out of the list all pistol calibers over .380ACP/.38 Special though.

Would like to take a deer with my M-1 Carbine someday too. I know that distance, point of aim and proper SP bullets are mandatory for this; too bad those critters aren't as abundant as in the US....last January in CO they become boring to watch even for my toddler twins!
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,492 Senior Member
    Looks fun.....I'm working:yousuck:
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    WHAT! No YUGO TODAY? It was Milsurp day and you left ol' Yugo home? Did the Yugos Piss you off last range trip so you gave em a time out? I bet they're cryin their eyes out in the safe right now. You don't love em anymore. Iffin you're tired of em, just send em to me, and I'll give em a good home......:jester:

Seriously, those brakes you put on the Mosins, how much do they cost and is there any machining required to put them on? Sounded like you just shove em on the end of the barrel and tighten a set screw. I'm interested!

BTW, my one and only Mosin is a 91-30 Octogon receiver and I have yet to shoot it. About that ammo in the Sardine Cans, is it corrosive?

Had to edit because I said it was an Octogon Barrel but meant receiver.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    WHAT! No YUGO TODAY? It was Milsurp day and you left ol' Yugo home? Did the Yugos Piss you off last range trip so you gave em a time out? I bet they're cryin their eyes out in the safe right now. You don't love em anymore. Iffin you're tired of em, just send em to me, and I'll give em a good home......:jester:

Seriously, those brakes you put on the Mosins, how much do they cost and is there any machining required to put them on? Sounded like you just shove em on the end of the barrel and tighten a set screw. I'm interested!

BTW, my one and only Mosin is a 91-30 Octogon receiver and I have yet to shoot it. About that ammo in the Sardine Cans, is it corrosive?

Had to edit because I said it was an Octogon Barrel but meant receiver.

All 7.62X54R Surplus Ammo is corrosive, some claim "Slightly" don't trust that. Some newer stuff actually ain't they say, it will express that on the website selling it too. Especially that stuff in oversized sardine cans. Light Ball they call it. So just clean the rifle the SAME DAY don't wait (even overnight) with Hoppe's #9 or some window/bore cleaner with ammonia or hot soapy water and then regular cleaning. Clean the bore and bolt face.

Snake those are on sale at a TX joint called Howling Raven fer just $29.95 they come with 3 brass set screws and just twist around the front sight and then you tighten the set screws. See my link above to the place selling them. They work great.

I haven't fired my Yugo 8mm 24/47 in a while, I should I reckon. Not exactly the first rifle I reach for for some reason. Great shape, all matching SN# and all that, pristine looking bore too.....................
    Russian soldiers were taught to piss down their bbls if they were outta that stuff in them oilier bottles they were issued. I guess you could call that 'Organic Ammonia' ................course the female soldiers probably had to compensate somehow :yikes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Russian soldiers were taught to piss down their bbls if they were outta that stuff in them oilier bottles they were issued. I guess you could call that 'Organic Ammonia' ................course the female soldiers probably had to compensate somehow :yikes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

The girls needed a funnel is all. You reconn it was the urine or all that vodka they drank that cleaned the barrel so good?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I'm sick of trimming .30 Carbine brass for one day, resized/decaped/trimmed/primed 240 cases. Some 110 grain FMJs and RN Soft Pts on the way.

15 gains W-296 does the trick.
    And yes .30 Carbine brass "Grows" like weeds.