Possible New Gun Bills What Will Trump Do?

NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior MemberPosts: 4,324 Senior Member
Okay, all these attacks have stirred the leftists in politics and Hollyweird to the point where I am wondering just how many RINOs will go for bans, registration and such. The question now in my mind is what will Trump do if a gun contrite bill passes both chambers and makes it tomhis desk? He has called the Texas Church Shooting more about mental health than gun laws. While he was campaigning he said he’d support the 2A and such ... I am thinking that he’ll be showing us if he really meant it before long with vetoing something in the coming months.
“The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
- George Orwell

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    I am suspicious about Senate RINOS, too, but I doubt that the House of Representatives would pass any stupid bills, the difference being that they all stand for re-election every two years, and therefore find it much harder to betray their constituents without getting caught out.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Besides all that, right now you won't see any bans or even out and out registration at this time. What's hot on the griddle of the anti crew is background checks where you and I can't buy a gun from an individual without a background check or a 4473 being filled out. When that happens the fed knows you own a certain gun kinda like registration. But always be mindful there are are Antis, the hard core, who want to confiscate your firearms and turn them into trout line weights. All this hoopla about back ground checks is just a preamble to their real goal.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Green Mtn. BoyGreen Mtn. Boy New Member Posts: 34 Member
    Adhere to the Constitution and repeal the previous infringements enacted against it,in a perfect world. GMB
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,019 Senior Member
    I'm thinking they'll try to make sales between individuals illegal. Also gun gifts between family members would be on their agenda. Along with hi=cap magazines. They'll probably want a 10 rd. limit on them, but who knows? Probably gun shows will be targeted. Even some republicans are making gun control noise. Just my $0.02.
    No doubt, AR-15s are flying off the shelves again, in reaction to these recent incidents.

I, too, think that private sales, gun shows, and more oppressive background checks will be the hot items on the list of every opportunistic politician who wants instant gratification at the polls from wishy-washy emotional type voters. But, the smartest Republicans will hold back till they see how the wind blows, and probably chicken out when it comes time to 'fish or cut bait.' Chickening out seems to be the way the wind blows, of late. That might be a good thing for this particular issue.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Today's news sounds like he'd like all of us to take aim at the 38th parallel.

Just sayin'.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    No doubt, AR-15s are flying off the shelves again, in reaction to these recent incidents.

I, too, think that private sales, gun shows, and more oppressive background checks will be the hot items on the list of every opportunistic politician who wants instant gratification at the polls from wishy-washy emotional type voters. But, the smartest Republicans will hold back till they see how the wind blows, and probably chicken out when it comes time to 'fish or cut bait.' Chickening out seems to be the way the wind blows, of late. That might be a good thing for this particular issue.

You sorta kinda missed the point their screeching about universal background checks. And that would be universal gun registration. Otherwise all those millions of unregistered guns already sold are a good as 'ghost guns'. Can't really have universal background checks when all those guns already out there, in the free states anyway, could be traded 10 times over in private sales. I just told you their end game and how they plan to do it.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,062 Senior Member
    Trump would be dead meat in 2020 if he signs any restrictive bill.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    tennmike wrote: »
    You sorta kinda missed the point their screeching about universal background checks. And that would be universal gun registration. Otherwise all those millions of unregistered guns already sold are a good as 'ghost guns'. Can't really have universal background checks when all those guns already out there, in the free states anyway, could be traded 10 times over in private sales. I just told you their end game and how they plan to do it.

If you are going to scold me, at least give me some clue what you are talking about, so I can defend myself.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Adhere to the Constitution and repeal the previous infringements enacted against it,in a perfect world. GMB

Yeah put me down for some of that. But it ain't happening, not in this life.

Here's my idea on how to fix this background checks mss. I'm not by any means tossing this out there for serious consideration until I know it is a practical solution. I don't know all the problems what I'm going to propose that would arise.

OK Say we did the background checks up front. What if we, all gun owners and potential gun owners underwent an FBI background check? What if they give us a card saying we can buy firearms because da..da..da... Would that be any different than getting the check done on the scene when buying a gun? Just show em your card and buy the gun. That would prevent anyone knowing when and if you bought a gun. No 4473 required if you're not dealing with a Licensed FFL dealer.

Another issue, I don't have to have a background check because I have a Texas CCW which serves as a background check because before I got my CCW I had to have a background check. Now my CCW is good until 2021. Not sure if I need another background check for the next CCW renewal or not. But that ID card that says I'm eligible to buy fire arms should be valid as long as my CCW is.

Lots of questions and I know some purist may have objection to this proposal because there's always somebody that does. But this is really no different than it already is for us if we have a CCW or we buy a gun from the CMP or other government entity. I myself would be willing to have a card or an ID that says we are eligible to buy firearms. Is this too much akin to registration? To me it's no more restrictive than the system already is.

This background check would notify a salesman or saleslady if someone is not mentally competent to own a firearm. This is the biggie now. It has come to light that a shooter is usually either religiously motivated or he's crazy. I think any sane gun owner would agree, that one way or another, second amendment not withstanding, he don't need to be having a firearm, even if there is another avenue for him to procure one. That's the only restriction that I can think of that's a valid restriction for the 2A.

In fact, I'm going to make a new thread about this to see what people think.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,570 Senior Member
    Another unrelated forum concerning commercials. It has a political forum. There is a liberal progressive who drinks the Koolaid by 55 gallon drums and seems to embrace confrontation no matter the subject. A couple of quotes.

" You can go to a gun show in any state and legally buy a gun out of the trunk of someone's car out in the parking lot with no background check whatsoever.

This is just going beyond insane.

Thanks Republicans.

Thanks NRA."

In some states yes. Not all 50.

"Every 2nd amendment worshipping gun obsessed goofball who opposes common sense gun control has the blood of every one of these mass shooting victims on their hands." Bat scat crazy. I rest my case.

The Texas church shooter is a special case. He apparently legally purchased 2 guns in Colorado while stationed there as a member of the United States Air Force (USAF) most likely before he got in trouble. Information is somewhat sketchy as USAF is trying to cover their butt. As far as being denied purchase of guns used in the massacre. He was involuntarily incarcerated in a mental institution for a psychiatric evaluation . Strike one. He escaped. Strike two. He was courts marshaled and convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence (wife). Strike three. He was convicted of felony assault (child). Strike four. When he falsely filled out the ATF Form 4473 in Texas the punishment was 5 years in federal penitentiary (no parole or good behavior sentence reduction). Strike five. Why were all of these factors which would prevent the individual from purchasing firearms not reported to the FBI which would have prevented a successful background check? What happens in the USAF stays in the USAF? I think USAF are in trouble.
  • JamesAPrattIIIJamesAPrattIII Member Posts: 154 Member
    I hate to say this but there will probably be more mass shootings or attempts at mass shootings by the end of this year or next year. The LV and Texas shooting will breed copycats. I hoped we could get the Share act and national reciprocity through Congress but I don't think this will ever happen now. There are too many otherwise pro-gun politicians who at the first sight of trouble run like the Italian Army at the battle of Caperetto which happened 100 years ago today.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,118 Senior Member
    Wife just told me about a shooting in N. California.

Dunno how that could have happened what with all their precious LAWS.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 347 Member
    Easy - had to have one where good guys can't shoot back. The last one in Texas went horribly awry.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,118 Senior Member
    Armoredman wrote: »
    Easy - had to have one where good guys can't shoot back. The last one in Texas went horribly awry.

B, bu, but guns are essentially illegal - how could someone actually have one? Its against the law! </sarcasm>
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    The best thing about owning a Beowulf is I have no 30 Robert d mags, only low capacity 10 round Beowulf mags....
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    The best thing about owning a Beowulf is I have no 30 Robert d mags, only low capacity 10 round Beowulf mags....

Just wait ... after they chip away enough they’ll be claiming nobody needs a caliber over say .30 something (.30-30, .30-06, etc) and then the Wulf will be in their sights ... anything .50 cal will be pure evil be it the little .50AE to your .50Beowulf to the .50BMG.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell