Howa Mini Action

2»

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member
    If I could convert my Ruger Scout to a Mauser box with a hinged floorplate, I most likely would. The DBM is the only thing about the rifle I'm not totally in love with. The 5-round single stack metal mags feed super-smooth, but chamber of the rifle wants my chosen bullet (130 grain Barnes TTSX) seated longer than they allow.

I do give it one advantage; while some states will allow you to do your road hunting with a full mag and an empty chamber, others require nothing in the gun until you bail out. For that, it has a place. Otherwise, I prefer the lower number of easily-separated parts.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,303 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    If I could convert my Ruger Scout to a Mauser box with a hinged floorplate, I most likely would. The DBM is the only thing about the rifle I'm not totally in love with. The 5-round single stack metal mags feed super-smooth, but chamber of the rifle wants my chosen bullet (130 grain Barnes TTSX) seated longer than they allow.

I do give it one advantage; while some states will allow you to do your road hunting with a full mag and an empty chamber, others require nothing in the gun until you bail out. For that, it has a place. Otherwise, I prefer the lower number of easily-separated parts.

I'm totally opposite. If I could change my Ruger Frontier from being a Mauser box with a hinged floorplate to a DBM, I would do it in a heartbeat
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I'm not one of those guys that parks right under my stand and while I'm hiking in to it, I like to have a round in the chamber. Opening the bolt and pushing the rounds down and closing the bolt on an empty chamber when I climb into my stand does not represent a big hurdle to me. The only bolt rifle that I own with a DBM that I might hunt with is my .308 MVP any my five round mag sticks out 1-5/8" and even prone, I don't see that getting in my way. Your mileage may vary.

And it's FAR quicker to run the bolt than to find the magazine, insert it, and run the bolt.

Another reason against the DM....I'm not 100% sure just where the magazine is for my deer rifle. I'm ASSuming I left it in the truck...
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • dwfffandwfffan Member Posts: 34 Member
    Update: I passed on the Howa and saved up a little more for a Tikka T3x Varmint in .223. I have only had to the range once to test a few factory loads and a couple of reloads that I had done for the AR. I have also picked up a Magneto speed V3 Chrono to play with. Will report on the load data once I make it back to the range. 
    Sorry about the crappy phone picture. 
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,684 Senior Member
    Thanks for the update.  The Tikka is a nice choice 👍👍
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,472 Senior Member
    Well done.
    I have a Tikka Super Varmint in 22-250. It' s a tack driver........or was until I took the Vx3 4.5-14x 50 scope off it to put on my new Tikka TX in 243.
    Look forward to your range report.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,104 Senior Member
    edited May 13 #38
    dwfffan said:
    :
    Looking back, to dwfffan's earlier post, He said it looked like the Howa Mini Actions were 1:9 twist, but what I saw was 1:10. Still not bad but I'd rather just go full tilt bozo and have a 1:8 or even 1:7.

I have one Howa and love it. It's solid. It lacks a couple of features the 700 Rem. has, but for what I do with it, those features are a moot point. However, I'll be the first to say, the Tikka is a fine rifle for the money.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,139 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Ruger American much?

Perfect example. $32.99 for a screaming pile of crap.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006301018/ruger-magazine-ruger-american-short-action-4-round-blue

I wish they would have just made that gun with a blind mag and lowered the price. It's a fantastic rifle, but the magazine is garbage.
    As to the AR mags being too long, I doubt it would be too hard to chop the bottom end off of a metal ar mag...
    What problems are people having with the RA mags? 
    I've had no issues with the magazines (3) when using my Predator. 
    They snap in solidly, and don't rattle.
    Remove the mag, open the bolt, ensure the chamber is clear,  & rifle is unloaded.  
    I've dropped them on dirt, & concrete and all rounds were retained, feed lids were not bent or item damaged in any visible manner. 
    Yes, they are plastic, or probably some kind of polymer, and they work. How many of us own polymer framed handguns, so of which that use polymer magazines? 
    What is the issue? 

In the interest of full disclosure, I have three magazines simply because I like having  a spare for my spare. 
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,139 Senior Member
    The Tikka is a solid choice.
    Looking forward to range reports.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    41magnut said:
    cpj said:
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Ruger American much?

Perfect example. $32.99 for a screaming pile of crap.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006301018/ruger-magazine-ruger-american-short-action-4-round-blue

I wish they would have just made that gun with a blind mag and lowered the price. It's a fantastic rifle, but the magazine is garbage.
    As to the AR mags being too long, I doubt it would be too hard to chop the bottom end off of a metal ar mag...
    What problems are people having with the RA mags? 
    I've had no issues with the magazines (3) when using my Predator. 
    They snap in solidly, and don't rattle.
    Remove the mag, open the bolt, ensure the chamber is clear,  & rifle is unloaded.  
    I've dropped them on dirt, & concrete and all rounds were retained, feed lids were not bent or item damaged in any visible manner. 
    Yes, they are plastic, or probably some kind of polymer, and they work. How many of us own polymer framed handguns, so of which that use polymer magazines? 
    What is the issue? 

In the interest of full disclosure, I have three magazines simply because I like having  a spare for my spare. 
    Pretty simple. It’s $35 for a crappy plastic Magazine.  Some “polymer” mags are fine. The Ruger ones are flimsy, and I’ve had two friends who have had issues with them falling out for no good reason. 
    But here’s my thing. Unless it’s an AR or AICS pattern magazine,(read cheap and reliable) I prefer my bolt guns to be fed from a blind magazines. Nothing to lose, nothing to break. And I still prefer blind mags to the ar pattern too. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
2»