Old Guns ......New Guns

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,576 Senior Member
    Will be back there tomorrow & pick some up. The gun I am working on is just a Stevens single shot 410 so will try the high temp permatex & give you the results on it. At another store I did pick up some J-B weld kwikwood to try out . I bet the putty was right there in that area too. I was looking for 2 part epoxy plumbers putty. I too have had a lot of luck with J-B Weld products.
    Thanks SKA
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,952 Senior Member
    JB Weld has fixed a lot of things that it didn't have any business fixing - but it did anyway. I recollect a pot metal hinge on a medicine cabinet door that failed in shear mode. JB Weld is still holding it - now longer than the original hinge was unbroken!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,076 Senior Member
    Old Ron wrote: »
    Will be back there tomorrow & pick some up. The gun I am working on is just a Stevens single shot 410 so will try the high temp permatex & give you the results on it. At another store I did pick up some J-B weld kwikwood to try out . I bet the putty was right there in that area too. I was looking for 2 part epoxy plumbers putty. I too have had a lot of luck with J-B Weld products.
    Thanks SKA
    Anytime! Plumbers putty is just the generic name. Google it and a bunch come up. I just trust the JB weld brand but I've used others and they work fine. The stand up to solvents too.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Last week was a bust for fun projects so today I plan to turn up the heat......crank up some rock & roll music .....grab a Pepsi & see what I can get done today. Photos to follow.
    The stocks are coming along .....at least in my eyes. I think a lot more sanding will be needed.
    At least the wood is starting to match up better.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,781 Senior Member
    Looking good! Is the top stock the one I sent you?? Nice piece of wood:)
    Yes sir it is that one & I wanted to match it with the old grip. And thanks again so much Al !
    I guess we are back on line.
    During the forum intermission I just kept doing the same things I do every day. ( I need to get a life ! )
    WELCOME Back ALL who made IT ! :)
    While stock parts are kicking I hope to clean this up a bit & see if I can get it working & turn a few small parts I need.All it needs is to be steamed ,painted ,A motor , bench to mount it on , Wired ,& most of all ......a place to put it.

Steam cleaning really makes a mess but is the best way I have found to get grease off tools.
    I needed something to do while waiting for the stocks to kick for a few days. Plus getting finer sanding done on the other 97 wood too. I need to gut extra wood out or the new peace & am not sure how to go at it yet. The center needs to be shaped for the tube & barrel to fit. Any ideas ?

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,364 Senior Member
    No ideas on how to cut what you need, it’s well beyond my skills. The stocks are looking good!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    timc said:
    No ideas on how to cut what you need, it’s well beyond my skills. The stocks are looking good!

Thanks tim maybe Al or someone will know a good way to cut on that.
    Was just checking the fit on the Stevens 410 & noticed that the Winchester 97 slide is cut tapered in the center cut. ( oh that makes this interesting )
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,321 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Steam cleaning really makes a mess but is the best way I have found to get grease off tools.
    I needed something to do while waiting for the stocks to kick for a few days. Plus getting finer sanding done on the other 97 wood too. I need to gut extra wood out or the new peace & am not sure how to go at it yet. The center needs to be shaped for the tube & barrel to fit. Any ideas ?

A dowel rod or piece of metal rod thats  smaller than your barrel wrapped with sand paper to equal the size of your barrel. That, and elbow grease will make the channel you desire 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Thanks ......I was hoping there would be an easier way than that. The tapering is what bothers me to get the fit right.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,781 Senior Member

Stanley Surform rasp, won't take all day that way!
    That looks way easier than sanding. I am starting to feel like a belt sander with no electricity.
    Once I get the slot in it then sand to fit. Right ?  ( Al to the rescue ! .....again ! )
    Was hit with a couple of inches of ice & snow & more coming today . Good work on guns day here. Could do some more cleaning guns & inventory. Sounds way better than shoveling wet heavy snow. Thinking of ways to cut down a new bench stock . As is it is way to heavy & bulky for the shooting the way I would like to do with it.
    While waiting for the finish to toughen up I pulled out another clunker shotgun. This gem is a Hopkins & Allen  " Forehand " hammer less 12 ga. Finding a parts list is kinda tough to find.
    Any ideas out there where to find them ? This doesn't latch & the safety is non working . Another practice gun. If I don't get this working I most likely won't mess with the stock parts.

Just had to take a peek of how it would look together. In my opinion the high gloss of the oil needs to be toned down to a semi gloss look. What do you think would look best for this 1929 gun ?

Yep you need to bring it down a notch.  Looking good though!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    I think 1000 would take that shine off & then put wood wax on. Sound about right ? I was thinking of letting it kick for a couple weeks & let it get hard all the way through. Then off to the next 10 I have to do. I really want to have some more skill before I go at my 1873 or my 22-250 s. I am still working on checkering but that is slower than sanding. Thanks ska
    Old Ron said:
    While waiting for the finish to toughen up I pulled out another clunker shotgun. This gem is a Hopkins & Allen  " Forehand " hammer less 12 ga. Finding a parts list is kinda tough to find.
    Any ideas out there where to find them ? This doesn't latch & the safety is non working . Another practice gun. If I don't get this working I most likely won't mess with the stock parts.

These things are a pain to get apart ! I managed to get it tore down but don't see what the problem was. I will keep looking for a parts list for it.
    Does anyone know how long posted pictures stay on in this forum ?
    With all the crazy stuff going on it makes me wonder if I should even post a picture of a gun.
    I really like the ones I have seen here & hope there isn't a cost for all who have posted. When you see & hear all the crazy stuff it does make you wonder. ( or at least is has me ) For me a picture is a way to tell all that what I am saying is not BS it is real & there it is. Not that some would make up things on the internet ! I like seeing all the talented people on here & the things they do.
  • KilaraKilara Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm not very interested in the new.....been all oldies for me for quite a while but I get them to use them
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,595 Senior Member
    Kilara said:
    I'm not very interested in the new.....been all oldies for me for quite a while but I get them to use them
    Welcome...........seems odd your post mimics mine in post #2
  • RadiowaveRadiowave Posts: 8 New Member
    I prefer guns made out of metal. I have several polymers, but plastic on a gun is a detractor to me
    I like them all !
    Some I just like the looks of but most I like to shoot. The new ones are so amazing to shoot & all the things that can be added on brings the cool factor way up. The old guns have a lot of class & are basic. The new are cool simple & very efficient . Over the years I have bought new guns for $30.00 back in the day & now buy buy new at $1000.00 & up. It is funny that the guns we called fence posts now bring $200.00 . I tend to rescue old badly kept guns & bring them back to working order. I have never been a gun snob. What people have is what they like & I respect that. Some new guns are really ugly to my eye but if it floats your boat I'll keep quiet unless I am asked for my honest opinion. In a time when guns are looked down on by many people we best stick together & not knock others choices of the guns they buy, have & use.
    Am back going through gun parts. It is a long boring job organizing all this stuff. The tub of scope things is going to be a mess to try to learn what they all go to. I have 7 new scopes to figure out what guns to put them on. Any advice on scopes would be appreciated !
    Old Ron said:
    Am back going through gun parts. It is a long boring job organizing all this stuff. The tub of scope things is going to be a mess to try to learn what they all go to. I have 7 new scopes to figure out what guns to put them on. Any advice on scopes would be appreciated !
    That question needs a lot of specific info from you.