Old Guns ......New Guns

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,618 Senior Member
    I found the grommets for the wood on the forearm ......so I ordered them from newline.
    WOW at the end of my order they said it would be $30.00 .... I was in such shock of the price I just said send them. Hot water soup will be on the menu for a few days here !  lol
    The price of gun parts is a KILLER.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,359 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    I probably should get that gun cabinet out of the back of my truck. Problem is where to put it. In the shop in my way is where it will end up most likely until I get it cleaned up & find a spot in my gun repair room. Then see how many guns I can stuff in a 8 gun cabinet. My guess would be about 12. At least then they will be out of the way & in one place until I can get to them.
    If that gun cabinet has them all lined up in one line you can stack more in there by alternating them muzzle up and muzzle down. That should make room for 3-4 more guns! :smile:
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

I no more than posted that message & got a call & needed my small truck to haul an ATM so out came the cabinet & plexiglass I forgot was in there. It now resides in my laundry room waiting for cleaning & maybe better lighting. It is a cheap cabinet but for project guns waiting for me to do it will be good enough. I learned the hard way putting to do guns in the safes meant they were lost. Until ............
     the next cleaning & inventory time.

Hauling an ATM? Hmmmm.........................Hope it was full of cash! :D

Yep the good news it was.......bad news Mike it was my cash !  lol
    I put them out on locations. It ties up a chunk of money but I manage to make a few bucks off them too . Better than what the bank gives for them using my money.

I found a place for the gun repair cabinet .........bad news is there is already stuff there ! lol
    Good news I found more rifle barrels ....... bad news I have no idea what they go on.
    Looking like a good news bad news kinda rainy day ! ( that's life in a treasure chest lol )

Those barrels must not be take-off barrels with the manufacturing data on them. A couple of thread pitch gauges (Imperial and Metric) and a micrometer or dial caliper should give you some clues as to what they would fit. And if the threads are Metric, a calculator to get from inch to mm.

There was 12 more barrels tucked in that cubby hole.
    The top one has BRUX   1-8.4  256  264  SS  4GR  on it. And does that end screw off ?
    The others all say what they go to. It has to be over 30 barrels stacked up now. If this keeps up I will need a rack just for barrels !  lol

The BRUX barrel is a custom barrel. Looks like someone started to turn down the shank to thread it for an action, and stopped, and never started again! :D Got some heavy barrel blanks there; you need to mate them to some actions.
    Nice toesies, BTW. ;)

I need to look closer at the pics I post . lol
    So that isn't a screw on ? The rest is the twist ? Cal. ? I have Remington 700 actions.
    After that knowing what they would fit is up in the air. I have a head space GO & NO GO set to check the 22-250 s . ( those are not cheap ) I will have to take a pic of the ends of the ones I think are Ruger rifles. I think I saw a box of big dies someplace around here. They might be for rifles. I will have to send a blank down to you Mike & you could make a octagon barrel for my Hepburn. That would be easy ......wouldn't it ? lol All kidding aside I bet one of those was for the Hepburn. Another quick question ......I was talking to a gun smith & he told me that even though my 700 triggers are the older ones that were not recalled by Remington they will shoot on there own too. That true ? If so what should I use for the 700 action then ?

This is what 30 bucks worth of grommets look like for a 3 screw forend.
    I am wondering if I can afford these old guns.
    edited June 15 #703
    That BRUX barrel was bought as a blank that would have to have the threads done to match whatever action it was to be put on. The barrel has the start of the threaded barrel shank started, and never finished. The numbers are a guess on my part, but would seem to indicate the rifling twist (1 turn in 8.4 inches), and the bore (.256) and groove (.264) info, Stainless Steel, 4GR probably the barrel profile. Looked up BRUX  barrels and that would maybe a #4 Heavy Sporter contour?
    Here's their website with that info.
    http://www.bruxbarrels.com/gpage1.html

Remington triggers; the old ones, even the ones not recalled, have given problems. A Timney is a good replacement choice for 1st choice, and Bold a close 2nd choice.

I could have made those grommets for less than the postage to send them to you. Only would need three dimensions; length, diameter, and screw hole diameter. And a pic of the screw used to hold them in place in case they needed a chamfer for the head.

I will have to look them up when I start the 3 700 projects.
    The grommets ......well I had 2 cups of stupid that day ordering them. At least I have all the parts for it now .....I think. Never having seen one of those type C before I am happy to find them ......maybe not 30 bucks happy but happy none the less to be getting to the end of parts hunting for that. If I had just 1 I could have made it out of brass or steel. At $10.00 each I should make one as a pattern just in case another C comes my way.

Restoring old guns ....... I have seen 2 schools of thought on that. Some say if you restore it the value goes in the dumper. The second group say if it is nice & working it sells way better & is used.  I guess they are both right. I personally like nice looking & good working old things . Yet I also like the wear scares the gun has from years of use & some times neglect. I guess it is a gun by gun decision to make.
    tennmike said:
    That BRUX barrel was bought as a blank that would have to have the threads done to match whatever action it was to be put on. The barrel has the start of the threaded barrel shank started, and never finished. The numbers are a guess on my part, but would seem to indicate the rifling twist (1 turn in 8.4 inches), and the bore (.256) and groove (.264) info, Stainless Steel, 4GR probably the barrel profile. Looked up BRUX  barrels and that would maybe a #4 Heavy Sporter contour?
    Here's their website with that info.
    http://www.bruxbarrels.com/gpage1.html

Remington triggers; the old ones, even the ones not recalled, have given problems. A Timney is a good replacement choice for 1st choice, and Bold a close 2nd choice.

I could have made those grommets for less than the postage to send them to you. Only would need three dimensions; length, diameter, and screw hole diameter. And a pic of the screw used to hold them in place in case they needed a chamfer for the head.

I will get the measurements for you Mike & a few pictures of the little hunks of gold.
    On the 700 triggers .....if you ever see a deal on them let me know. I have no idea what they cost but if they are anything like small grommets I better find a deal !
    I heard about the Oklahoma gun show & they say it is the biggest. May try to figure a way to run down to that & not loose my business in the process. A guy told me if there is a Hepburn barrel around it would be there. ( but take enough money to buy a house. )
    I had a brain fart; Bold triggers are for M96 and M98 Mausers.
    Here's the Timney trigger that is the one with the safety. Good kit, and doesn't break the piggy bank either.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1146220642/timney-rifle-trigger-remington-700-40x-with-safety-1-1-2-to-4-lb

That looks like a good deal Mike ....thanks !
    Question ........Looking at triggers .....how can you tell what they are for & who made them ? It has been a while since I looked at the ones I have so I forget if there was markings on them or not. The 700 actions & parts were bought as peaces not as a complete gun.

The danged forum software won't let me post pictures. There are no markings on the M700 triggers I'm aware of that would identify them as M700 triggers. Here's a Google search of images for M700 triggers that should help you identify the ones for your Remington rifles.

The tough part is figuring out what triggers I have & if they should be replaced. I will try to get a close up picture of them & maybe that will help. Do the other triggers have anything to identify them ?
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,003 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    I had a brain fart; Bold triggers are for M96 and M98 Mausers.
    Here's the Timney trigger that is the one with the safety. Good kit, and doesn't break the piggy bank either.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1146220642/timney-rifle-trigger-remington-700-40x-with-safety-1-1-2-to-4-lb

That is a really good trigger, easy to install and adjust
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Old Ron said:
    The tough part is figuring out what triggers I have & if they should be replaced. I will try to get a close up picture of them & maybe that will help. Do the other triggers have anything to identify them ?
    I seriously doubt it. Not something that would have any manufacturing data engraved on it, except maybe a serial # or maybe a part #. Aftermarket triggers usually have some manufacturing data on them. They're kinda proud of their stuff, and rightly so.
    As to the Remington triggers you have, if you KNOW that they came off the actions you have, then you can look up the serial numbers on the actions and find out if they are in the range of the triggers that have been recalled; there have been several recalls over the years. Unless you REALLY like those stock triggers, I'd just get the Timney trigger I linked for them and be done with it. I have three of those, and like Diver said, they are really nice, easy to adjust, and you don't have to worry about an accidental discharge from a defective trigger.

Pictures of the Remington triggers you have won't help; they look mostly like identical blades of grass as to the ones made from the 1960's into the 1990s. The outside frames of those triggers are almost identical.

This is all brand new stuff. Never used actions , never used triggers ,never used bolts ,never used stocks , never used barrels. Nothing was put together. Parts were found in 7
    different rooms. The old guns were tore down to the last screw & pin. I had to look at parts lists of what I could find & then put them back together. The parts I can't find I have been ordering. ( at a high rate of money consumption ) Like my 3 screws & 3 grommets for $ 60.00  !

If you bought all the parts separately it might not be too hard to date the triggers as to age. As HUNTING triggers set to AT LEAST 4 pounds and with plenty of sear engagement, Remington triggers aren't all that bad. They show their anus when you set them to 1 pound and with minimum sear engagement. My biggest HATE with Remington is that the safety has to be off to open the bolt. I don't know who thought that was a good idea, but they were and idiot.

Gun parts prices are ungodly high for what you get. Car and truck parts are no different in that respect.

It appears I had another brain fart. I didn't include the link to the Remington M700 images. Here's the link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Remington+Factory+trigger+M700&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGp7Oy_d_bAhVFEawKHcPbC2MQ_AUICygC&biw=1465&bih=782

That will help a lot when I get to building on those 3. With all the things on my summer to do list ......no telling when I can mess with that.Gun work is fun but in the summer there are so many things to be doing it takes a back seat to things being outside doing.
    I managed to find the 3 screws for the forend on the 97.  If I get a chance today I will get it all together & put it on the rack.
    Working on getting the gun cabinet for repair guns in the gun room still. Finding a space to put 30 barrels & barrel stock is tougher than it sounds.
    The Stevens 410 single shotgun is ready to be blued. Getting it back together will probably take longer than it should ..... it was a pain to get apart & that was a year ago . I was a year younger & knew where the parts went . A lot of water under the bridge since then. Most of you guys are way smarter about this gun building stuff than I will ever be ....but I'm just chugging along learning as I go. A few years ago it was a lot easier with me & my guns. In the spring I set up the range. Shot on weekends all summer long & then in the fall stored the targets & did reloading for the next summer.

If you took that Stevens action completely apart, you're gonna need to grow a couple of extra arms with small hands to get the 'guts' back in it. They can be a major pain to get the stuff back together without something going flying into a black hole in the shop.

Quart and gallon sized Zip Lock FREEZER plastic bags are your buddies with gun projects. Keeps all the small parts and some larger ones together, and you can see at a glance what they are. And if you're really on your game, you label the bags as to which firearm they belong to with Post-It notes INSIDE the bag! :)

Would you call this completely apart ?
    I used the bowel system on the parts for this one because I was going to get it done quick !   ( I think I passed quick several months back ! lol )

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,797 Senior Member
    Not as bad as a carburetor.

Or is it?

As a matter of disclosure, I only rebuilt one carburetor, and I had help. Still, it remains daunting in my memory.
    With a clean bench a carb. is a walk in the park.  This thing I had to make a bent screwdriver to get one screw out. The springs will as Mike said go to the black hole of the shop if you don't watch them. Even a carb . on a small weed wacker is easier than some guns. (I can really get in some stuff ! lol )
    Moving ammo cans full of lead & brass out of the reloading room to make room for the cabinet........only 12 more cans to take down stairs . The lead ones make ya pucker carrying them down steps.
    Only 6 more cans to go.
    Update on a gun deal from 2 years ago.  The woman that has the guns called & said that her son took what he wanted & that she should sell the rest to me.  I asked what was left & she said she didn't know. I see a 120 mile trip for junk in my near future. ( bad news is I have to go look & be right or kick myself for not going. )