Old Guns ......New Guns

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,634 Senior Member
    Getting small rust pits of a barrel is a pain . I guess some didn't realize that a few drops of oil is a lot cheaper than a new gun . A buddy was saying how he oils all his guns . He was showing me one & I field striped it & showed him the rust he missed . When I was out of the country for extended times I tore down my guns & put them in barrels of oil . Was a mess to clean up but no rust is better. Plus I don't think someone would steal a barrel marked old oil .
    Might try to mount that milling vise on the drill press today . That thing is a moose . Getting bits organized will be a job . May need to take a tool box & just have bits in it . Probably won't do much milling so it has to be able to be set aside until needed again .
    As always the problem is space . 10 tool boxes is a lot of tools to get organized . The power tools is even worse to find places to put that can be accessed easily . A 60' bench would probably help .
    It's on .... now to figure out how to use it .
    Just had to try out the new vise . First thing in was a firing pin . Just wanted to rough shape it to cut down on filing. Was all set up & started cutting ...... the chuck fell out of my press ...... not a nice surprise but it happens  ...... back in & back to cutting & it fell out again . Said screw it & worked around the shop . After calming down I gave the drill press a pep talk & cleaned it up & put it back together . Cut the peace . Then spent a couple hours filing & fitting the peace . It was short on both ends of the original pin so I made the new one long on both ends . Now just need to trim both ends to the right length & I can put it back together. I will test fire it this summer & see if it works .
    Planning to work on that firing pin today at some time . Going slow so I don't have to start all over again . It is an easy shape so not really a big deal .... just a lot of filing . The lost spring still hasn't showed it's face for the 410 .
    Managed to get the double barrel all back together ...... it doesn't cock ...... taking it all apart again to see what happened there . A gun that looks good is of no use .
    Waiting on cutting the length on the firing pin until I have the rifle all back together . The snow is really messing up my gun time . I thought one hour a day towards rescue projects would be easy to find . One hour of filing doesn't show much progress . Add to that the time looking for things on the floor & not much gets done in one hour .
    Managed to get most of the pits out of the .22 single shot . Next I plan to get a nice polish on the barrel & the decide what type of blueing to try on it . Not real happy with how the stock turned out ..... had to go dark stain to hide that crappy looking grain .
    The ax test looks better than the stock .
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    That axe looks right spiffy withe the head polished and the new finish on the handle.
    Gunstocks can be a crap shoot as to trying to finish them, especially the old .22s and single shot shotguns. They didn't exactly put the best grade wood on them in the first place. If one has no grain or ugly grain I use the oil from black walnut hulls. You put the mashed up black hulls in a big pot of boiling water and let the boiling water boil out the black walnut oil. Then you skim the oil off the top and bottle it. It's pretty thick, so you have to thin it with mineral spirits for use. It makes a really dark stain if you don't thin it enough, but it hides ugly wood really well!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

On that drill chuck falling off the shaft, I have a suggestion. Knock it off and clean both the tapered shaft it fits on, and the socket in the drill chuck, with brake cleaner, and wipe them both down well. That tapered shaft and socket are a friction fit, and side pressure on the chuck will make it wiggle loose. The more friction you have (no oil) the less chance the drill chuck will turn loose on you.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I did that Mike & it seems to be holding . I have around 5 chucks for that press & just hate to change them . The vice is nice but would not want to try cutting things to precise with it . Rough cuts it should work well . If I can ever stop shoveling snow I want to start grinding away on a shoe for the 410. This coming week is shot for gun work with it being the end of the month & all .
    Around the shop I have a lot of old things that can be a test thing for the gun projects .  The big surprise has been when the wood has been better looking on tools than on guns . Striping stocks can be a really bad surprise I have seen . Not a lot was made of walnut .
    I have been thinking a lot about my guns lately . With all the attempted & in-acted laws I can't help but wonder if all the work & time we put in our guns can be taken away in a heart beat .
    Then we have to spend time & money to keep what is ours . Taking our gun rights away is creeping up on all of us in small increments . I have lived long enough to see the differences in owing a gun over the years . They ( law makers ) are trying to stop sick people by coming up with new laws . With all the laws passed since the 50s the situation with nut jobs has done nothing but make things worse . We vote to stop these things & the ones we vote for don't stop it . I see people that say they are for gun rights then turn around & say the red flag laws isn't all that bad .... It probably isn't until it happens to them in the real world . Those of us in the pursuit of happiness are being attacked by sick thinking people every day .   I have been a life member of the NRA since I was 9 . They have done many great things for gun owners over the years but seem to be loosing ground now .
    Sorry about the rant but that's what is really on my mind while restoring guns & doing labor of luv saving the old guns  for future owners & users . Does anyone else wonder about these things or is it just the ramblings of an old man sick of the snow ?
    Yeah..........................the government dweebs are trying hard to incrementally take firearms ownership rights a little at a time. I can only speak for myself on that. I won't be registering, turning in, or otherwise being deprived of those I own. And they won't be found in either house when the laws are passed to register/take them. I have options that I won't discuss here.

Anyway, when they finally try to disarm us, there will be some real backlash to that. Civil disobedience on a national scale and a whole lot of shootin' going on to stop it.

I can't hep but to wonder if they have any idea how few people are willing to disarm . The crimes against the people will one day have a big cost to the nut cases trying to run peoples life's that they know nothing about . You can kick a dog just so long & it will turn & bite you .
    On a better note ....... I filed the rust pits out of that cheap rifle . Now I have small lumps on the barrel where I worked on it . Any suggestions how to get it back to smooth ? I was thinking emery paper with a long flat steel backing . At the end of the day it will still be a cheap gun but I will know how to fix problems any gun may have . Better to practice on a junker than a good one .
    Without seeing the 'lumps' on the barrel I can only suggest one thing. Get a flexible sanding block and start with 100 grit paper, and work towards 400 grit. You'll end up sanding the whole barrel down to remove those high spots left from filing.

Seems to me guns have a lot of sanding on them . At least it is easier than doing a truck . My back hates me when I have to be bent over all day working . Being tall doesn't help at all .
    The lumps are coming out ..... slow but still coming out . One spot of rust was raised up & that one came back to smooth easily . The pits was a tougher problem to fix. I can almost see why they painted it ..... almost . Paint would fill rust pits quick but that a a crap way to fix a gun in my book . Buying fixer up guns can really get interesting seeing how others fix problems .
    I have a setup for sanding barrels that takes the work out of it on really rusty barrels, as long as the bore wasn't affected. I converted a cheap Harbor Fright wood lathe and belt sander to do that job. The sander is run back and forth with a drive from a defunct battery powered electric car motor and gearbox. Just put the barrel between centers (live center on tailstock) and turn on lathe, and set the sander to take a 'bite' on the barrel. Then set there and reverse motor direction when required, and change sanding belts to finer grit as rust is removed.

Now that sounds neat Mike ! I think my small lathe is to short but now I will check it out to see if I could make one of those . Won't be done for this project but would be nice to have if another one comes along . The rescue projects have really slowed down here . Other things seem to get in the way of them a lot lately . Haven't even been sorting through treasures . That is just sad because I was doing so well there . The job stuff really got me off track . Mix in taxes & large bills & depression sets in quick & makes having fun tough to pull off . It always works out but sucks until it does . I still have plenty of brainfart ideas ...... just haven't been acting on them . It could be auction withdrawals  . lol
    My el cheapo wood lathe is 36" between centers, so short of a really long muzzle loader barrel I'm good. It can also be used on octagon barrels, too. I just lock the spindle on the lathe after making sure the barrel flat is square to the platen on the sander and just run the sander back and forth. That wood lathe sucked at woodworking, but it is useful for other things.

I also made some leather belts for the sander for polishing. With the rough side out on the leather belts loaded with polishing compound they do a good job of polishing round metal parts.

With the extreme lack of space it is tough for me to add bench or stand tools . Once inventory gets under better control I hope to have just walls of tools to pull out . I have all the parts for tools but haven't put them together for lack of space to have them set up . Almost need a building for each type of projects I get into . One space would not be good to have mixed tools & projects in . My gun tools never get mixed in with wood tools or mechanic tools or electric tools . It makes for a lot of different tool boxes of tools but easier to find & have the right tool for the job . I should buy a mall & set it up with work shops ! lol
    Was sanding on the barrel yesterday & kept looking at the 3 97s waiting to get done stamps on . Then it will be time for the 44 - 40 . That one I really like for some reason . That one gave me the bug for the older guns . I have always liked guns since I was a kid but usually it was just the new stuff . Now it is all guns . Even the chepo ones are cool in there own way . Dad wants to shoot my Savage mod. 19 NRA ..... I hope to get him out to the lane & let him blast his little heart out with it & a few others .
    If I have an 8 foot long x 3 foot wide table with some tool and parts bins at the back, I'm good to go for working on firearms. If it requires metal or woodwork, that gets shifted to the machines in the shop. Metal lathe, milling machine, metal shaper, and drill press are in one area, and the woodworking stuff is at another bench. Polishing and grinding are done at another bench. It's all about keeping stuff separate to prevent cross contamination of the work areas.

I only dream of a 8' bench around here Mike . A 3' bench here usually has to get cleaned off to do some work on & then the stuff goes back on to be repeated over & over . For bigger projects I set up a couple saw horse tables to work on . Those never stay full & I put them away after the job is done . There are days I feel like I live in a car & not a 3 br house with full basement .
    Rescue projects went well yesterday . While sorting in the shop I found a spring for the 410 action . Put it in & it actually works . This time I didn't release the spring until it was all back together . ( the more times you do things .... the easier it gets  ) The firing pin in the .22 single shot just isn't right yet . May need to make another one . The barrel for that is getting better with every hour I manage to put on it . I am getting picky about small marks now but figure might as well as long as it is all apart. Getting closer to done stamps on all 4 projects . And keeping the work area organized & clean too . The small tub idea works well with jumping projects . If I can find my etching ink I plan to start cutting on the steel for a shoe on the 410 . ( I know that ink is in a safe place ) I may just go buy another tube & get at the project . I want to see hoe the new drill vise works for that . 
    Cutting that curved part in the shoe with a drill press will be easy if you do a couple of things first. Mark out the shape on the metal first. Step drill the hole at the cupped end first to get it as close to the size of the curve. Then use a small drill bit, say 3/16", and drill along the edges as close together as possible, and start at the big hole previously drilled. Cut that hunk of metal out with a hacksaw. Put an end cutting mill in the drill press and use it to plunge cut rather than to try to cut by using the drill press vise to cut along the part. Take small bites with the mill. When you're close to the scribed lines, then use the vise to move the workpiece and cut really slowly to prevent the drill chuck from vibrating loose.

Cleaned off the drill press & was getting ready to start the shoe project ...... phone call came in & shot that idea in the butt . A guy was telling me there is a woman wanting to sell her dead husbands shop of tools . ( here we go again with an estate ) Most of the day was trying to track he name & phone # down ..... no luck so far . The guy that has the info is cherry picking it & low balling her . I will go & get a price on it all ..... wall to wall . I don't need tools but if the price is right I will buy them all ....... & also see if there are any guns tucked away there . Could get interesting if I get to her in time .
    That chuck falling out could be a problem . If it is I may drive a pin in it to help hold it . After I get the rough shape I will get at it with files to get a better fit . I plan to leave the stock steel on it so it is easier to hold when filing & then cut it off once it all fits well . I have done that on other projects & it makes it easier to clamp in  then work it .
    A big storm is heading this way so outside things ..... like hauling tools ...... could get interesting .
    Yeah, that storm moving in is a nasty looking thing. Lots of high winds with it. Be careful working outside!