Old Guns ......New Guns

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,540 Senior Member
    I just drug out a J Stevens #41 .22 pistol.
    It needs a breach release. ( the button is gone )
    I think I can make one but buying one is a lot easier ( I think )
    Anyone out there know where to find one ?
    Thanks Ron
  • Ross280Ross280 New Member Posts: 43 Member
    I have more Old then New.

Big Al1 wrote: »
    Only thing with the Cowboy Shooters is that they like the '97 with a cut down shorter barrel.
    Ross280 wrote: »
    Only thing with the Cowboy Shooters is that they like the '97 with a cut down shorter barrel.

I am not to a point yet that I will chop old stuff up yet.
    I have bought guns that way but usually try to put them back the way they were made.
    Today I am debating on going to an auction that has a few guns in........usually the prices are stupid.
    After an auction I come home thinking I should sell mine .......if I could get those prices.
    And welcome to the forum Ross.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,777 Senior Member
    I have more Old then New.

I like the old Colt! What caliber is it?? I have a New Service in .455 Eley.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,037 Senior Member
    I sold my old .41 Colt to a collector in England earlier this year.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    It's just the lowly M1892 in .38 long colt. The cylinder rotates ccw.
    I just remembered, I have a leather flap holster that it fits in.
    Just pulled this out & have it all tore down to clean up a bit.

Cute little thing!
    The little holster is what caught my eye.
    Another project .......just what I needed
    A 10 year old kid could do damage to the rats at the city dump back in the old days with your #41 and my Crack Shot 26 1/2. I probably do not need to mention the Crack shot has a no lands and grooves, it's .22 Shot, not Short.

A 10 year old kid could do damage to the rats at the city dump back in the old days with your#41 and my Crack Shot 26 1/2.

Got one of those, too. It was my Dads!! Great little shooter, too!
    Spent half the day yesterday making a part for a pistol ....... was cutting it off bar stock & it went flying.
    Looked for it for a couple hours the decided to start cleaning my work area up a bit more than it was.
    I used paint thinner on those grips to get the dark oil out.......lightened up the wood nice ......light sand with 1000
    I should be ready to start the finish .The list of projects is stacking up a bit. It is starting to look like a production line around here. Tins soaking tins ready to wire wheel tins ready for primer. Stocks 1/3 sanded stocks just started grips ready to start finish parts ready to nickel plate a peace to re-make a double barrel tore down to repair checkering design 1/3 figured out, I need a nap just thinking about all this !
    A 10 year old kid could do damage to the rats at the city dump back in the old days with your #41 and my Crack Shot 26 1/2. I probably do not need to mention the Crack shot has a no lands and grooves, it's .22 Shot, not Short.
    My son’s first gun was a 14 1/2! Those were great little rifles...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    I did manage to get the part made today so now all I need to do is finish cleaning it up .......a couple more coats on the grips & put it back together.
    I tried out that Vans instant gun blueing yesterday....... that stuff really works nice on small parts.
    I dipped them & boom they went black then put them in oil for a bit & they look new. I think for touch ups on pistols it would be fast & easy. I will post a pic of the small parts soon as I get one .......If I remember to.
    This is a funny one ......my dad was digging around in his gun stash & found 2 new guns he bought 50 years ago.
    They were 2 Daisy .22 rifles that he bought for my brother & me .
    He said well I guess you 2 have grown up enough to have these now ! ( cracked me up ! )

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Old Ron wrote: »
    I tried out that Vans instant gun blueing yesterday....... that stuff really works nice on small parts.

I wonder how durable it is? Birchwood Casey cold blue looks good too- - - - -for a few hours or until somebody touches the part and the color rubs off. It's going to take some doing to beat Oxpho-Blue paste "blotted not wiped" onto a part warmed up a little with a propane torch.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    This is a funny one ......my dad was digging around in his gun stash & found 2 new guns he bought 50 years ago.
    He said well I guess you 2 have grown up enough to have these now ! ( cracked me up ! )
    Ok, that’s funny :tooth:
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,579 Senior Member

I've got 1 of those. I kept in my truck for several years. Plus, both of my sons learned how to shoot with it.
    Teach wrote: »
    I wonder how durable it is? Birchwood Casey cold blue looks good too- - - - -for a few hours or until somebody touches the part and the color rubs off. It's going to take some doing to beat Oxpho-Blue paste "blotted not wiped" onto a part warmed up a little with a propane torch.
    Jerry

I have only done a few small parts so far & this is my first time using this type of product
    I too heated the parts with a heat gun then dipped them then water dried off & 1 more time dip.
    Then set in oil all night.wiped off & this is what the came out like. I liked this process with the spring because I never hot blue springs.

Looking into plating nickel.
    Planning to make the solution here. I need to pick up some nickel welding rods to make this work.
    I plan to only make 1 gal. ( that will last a long time )
    Made the part again ..... for the third time.
    Made a batch of nickel acetate solution & plated the brass part nickel ....looks good.
    Maybe another coat of true oil .......maybe not.
    Then try to remember how this went together.
    For a .22 the hammer spring is really tough. ( not to mention hard to get in the small gun )
    Just pulled this out & have it all tore down to clean up a bit.

Well cleaned it up & here it is.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,910 Senior Member
    Well cleaned it up & here it is.

Ok, so what is it? Single shot .22?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
    zorba wrote: »
    Ok, so what is it? Single shot .22?

It is a J Stevens #41 .22 single shot. I haven't looked it up but guess it is from the 30s
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,910 Senior Member
    It is a J Stevens #41 .22 single shot. I haven't looked it up but guess it is from the 30s

Its cool! I like it.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
    Thanks .....it was a fun quick project to do. The tractor & stock & checkering is going a lot slower.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member

But if you're into cowboy sports and want a 97, just get a different barrel and cut IT down. Leave the barrel that came with it alone.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I am working on 2 97s now & no plans to cut anything down.
    My closet shotgun has a 18" barrel but it came that way new.
    My old guns get cleaned up & the newer ones I can get a little creative with.
    The pile I bought this year needs to be put together in working order first then cleaned up.
    I have 3 to build & haven't made up my mind how & what I will set those up like yet.
    Good news is I have a lot of ammo ahead so no need to re load this winter or cast bullets.
    Would like to do some more powder coating bullets .That is a new to me thing I started this year.
    How they shoot & load will decide if I keep doing that or not.