Old Guns ......New Guns

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,550 Senior Member
    Old Ron wrote: »
    It is a J Stevens #41 .22 single shot. I haven't looked it up but guess it is from the 30s

Missed the date on that a bit it is 1903 to 1916 That little gal is older than she looks.
    Sanding is coming along ........still need to do a bit of fitting.
    Seem to be a tad chicken**** to do some chiseling on it for a better fit.
    I have it all marked with blueing so I sand looking like a smurf that works in a saw mill.
    With all the end of the year stuff to do haven't spent time on guns lately.
    A gun show is coming up so I really should get a list of parts I need made up.
    I have been drawing patterns for checkering .....cut them out look at it on the stock & throw it away & start over.
    I figure if it looks that bad with pencle cut in wood will make me sick.
    Dug out 2 more projects. The top one is a .22 single shot HY Hunter made in Germany. ( needs barrel release )
    Lower one is a 32-20 long CTG made in Spain. ( Needs hammer spring)
    The German one looks like the #41 Stevens & needs the same part made.
    They must have had a problem with those back then.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,777 Senior Member
    That .32-20 should be a fun shooter. I have an old Smith and a Colt in .32-20!
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,594 Senior Member
    Man Al.....all I have is ammo.
    Definitely need a gun someday.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,040 Senior Member
    Both of those look like fun shooters. I definitely need one of those “Parlor” single shot .22s.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,594 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Both of those look like fun shooters. I definitely need one of those “Parlor” single shot .22s.

You deserve the best.

afbeff91-2eb8-4f6a-b4a0-14b4dbf07aa0_zpse41f9129.jpg
    Does any one know where I can get a v spring for the 32-20 ?
    Numrich was sold out.
    Try e bay!
    Tried there & a few pages of others Al.
    It may be a long term hunt for what I am seeing.
    Back to sanding :rotflmao:
    Who made the pistol?? Co. name!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Who made the pistol?? Co. name!

EiBar 1924
    Best I can find on line is that it is a Trocaola that is a clone of a S&W 92
    But the hammer spring is a Spanish design in a V & not like the S&W.
    Here is where I found the info......http://www.forgottenweapons.com/eibar-spanish-model-92-revolver/
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    EiBar 1924
    Here is where I found the info......http://www.forgottenweapons.com/eibar-spanish-model-92-revolver/

Ghosts of firearms Christmas Past.

Your only solution may end up being finding a good gun smith who can make you the part. I have had to do this twice. The first was an extractor for my dad's old Model 31 Remington Pump (Forerunner of the 870). It wouldn't eject spent shells so I took the gun to a local gun smith who found the inside extractor broken and tried to find an extractor to fit it at several places, Numrich being one. At the time there were none to be found. So he made one. And it worked as good as new.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Thanks snake that will be my last resort.
    Some parts I can make if I have a pattern to go on. Others I will have a smith do it for me.
    Finding a good one that I can afford is another problem.
    Seems like the older I get the less I understand someone wanting to be paid $100.00 an hr & up.
    I may need to start digging in my spring steel stash & see what I can come up with.
    ( back to sanding ! lol )
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,106 Senior Member
    rberglof wrote: »

Thanks I will give them a call today. I never thought a spring would be this tough to find.
    Well Jack First never heard of that pistol.
    The search goes on.
    Update on the hunt
    just checked 10 parts places & talked to 1 gunsmith no part & will cost more than the gun is worth to have him male a spring.
    Ended the day calling 15 parts places & so far no luck on hammer spring.
    Was funny that Jackfirst never heard of the gun & Numrich had the spring but was out of stock . When I called Numrich she said they didn't have parts for that but it was on there web site. Fun day.Was almost happy to get back to year end paper work ( almost ! )
    Just joined the Numrich forum will see if they can help find that spring.
    ( time will tell )
    EiBar 1924
    Search for Eibar on GB and you’ll find a few revolvers that can be had cheap for parts.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Search for Eibar on GB and you’ll find a few revolvers that can be had cheap for parts.

Thanks SKA.
    I will give them a try.
    I had 1 gunsmith tell me that it would be a good counterweight for duck decoys ! ( funny man )
    Thanks SKA.
    I will give them a try.
    I had 1 gunsmith tell me that it would be a good counterweight for duck decoys ! ( funny man )

Sounds like you were talking to Teach!!:jester:
    Oh it is fun Al talking to experts.
    I do my best to be polite to everyone I talk with . ( some days I don't do so well )
    I think I am avoiding chipping on that butt stock.
    I seem to have a nack of getting into trouble with projects !
    Well back to counting & logging in some more stashed away stuff.
    This mini 30 was all in peaces & it is brand new.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,112 Senior Member
    I tend to shoot the new guns & just set back the old ones.

I love the old ones and will buy one at a good price. But it has to be a shooter, because the only safe queen I will tolerate is the old Colt in my avatar. And I have shot it, and probably will again, someday. I can enjoy fondling the old ones without having to own them.
    I turned into a gun junkie for some years. I shoot , reload & hunt . The problem started about 40 years ago with trading things I no longer wanted for guns.( easier to store ) I stayed away from the old guns because I saw back then no use for most of them. Now I use about 6 guns I like. I came across a good deal on a bunch of old & new guns & now I like putting the old ones back in working condition.I am learning as I go with all this stuff but find it interesting to me. It is funny to me that guns I bought 40 years ago are now considered antiques. I am slow but sure building a range for pistols & long guns. For many years it was tough to find a place to shoot.Now I can shoot any time I want to. I don't consider myself a collector yet if I like it I keep it. I think I only have a couple hundred guns now so I guess I'm not over the edge yet. I like looking up the history of the old ones & wonder why they bought it & what there need was for it.Learning what the guns cost them at that time & what there wages were it is amazing that so many could afford one.
    Kind of like today & new guns that people buy or build. It all can become an obsession if you don't keep an eye on it.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,112 Senior Member
    According to recent media reports, 4 or 5 guns and a couple hundred rounds is an arsenal. You better look behind your hedges for ATF agents.:jester:
    bisley wrote: »
    According to recent media reports, 4 or 5 guns and a couple hundred rounds is an arsenal. You better look behind your hedges for ATF agents.:jester:

Good thing I never mentioned + 30,000 loaded rounds !
    :rotflmao:
    Well back to counting & logging in some more stashed away stuff.
    This mini 30 was all in peaces & it is brand new.

That’s a heavy barrel Mini 30. I do not believe that’s a factory offer :uhm: