Another hearing protection thread

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,037 Senior Member
    So according to Fed-Ex tracking it will be here Friday so I'll be at the range on Saturday AM! :cool2:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,738 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    So according to Fed-Ex tracking it will be here Friday so I'll be at the range on Saturday AM! :cool2:
    :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,270 Senior Member

You taking both handguns and longguns? The longgun usage would be my only question.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,987 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    You taking both handguns and longguns? The longgun usage would be my only question.

Same here

I suppose shouldering and dry firing would give you an idea, but i suspect actual shooting will make a difference
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    NCFUBAR wrote: »

Probably not but as I mentioned before expected use for this set is overwhelmingly handgun shooting. I may be able to sneak a rifle out for a quick sighting in session. If I do I'll make sure I post the results. Gotta see how much "liberty" I get from the XO this weekend :bang:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,054 Senior Member
    I was really irritated the first time I took my Howard Leight Impact Pro muffs hunting. All I could hear was the damn wind blowing and occasionally a pump jack so I took them off. Then I realized all I could hear was the blowing wind and occasionally a pump jack.

I won’t be without a set now. I really like being able to listen to music while I do mow or trim.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,540 Senior Member
    I used to forget to take my hearing protection with me when I would shoot at my range.
    I used toilet paper or cigarette filters.Now I have protection at the range ,in my shooting box ,in the car & in the truck.
    :jester:
    Damn, FedEx beat their stated delivery date, they arrived today. First impressions, as well put together as my original Impact Sports. Feels like a quality build with everything tight and solid. Packaging says expect 350 hours of use with a pair of AA batteries (included Duracell’s, not standard junk). Auto shutoff in 4 hours, don’t remember if my originals have that but nice feature. Put them on while at my desk and had an annoying hum until I figured out it was my hard drive spinning which I’ve never heard before :tooth: so I stepped out into the house and TOTAL silence except for the tick tick of an old clock on a shelf in the living room which again, I’ve never heard before. No sounds that should not be there. Overall more comfortable ear cups than the smaller version and did I mention QUIET!!!!! I had to step outside to listen to outdoor sounds to really make sure they were on. I like these!!!! Range trial on Saturday unless I can sneak out tomorrow... :cool2:

Ok additional impressions. I just realized that the volume was only about 60% so I adjusted full up and Dear LORD, how do people with normal hearing live!!! I could hear every footstep I take even though I'm walking around barefoot and the air blowing out of the vents is driving me nuts!!! I can hear the fridge running from my office, my cotton T-Shirt rubbing against my body as I move and my wife typing on her Mac keyboard which until today I thought was a really soft/quiet unit. I think I'm REALLY going to like these for hunting but I decided I'm putting off getting hearing aids for a while!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,910 Senior Member
    Great! Maybe I'll wear 'em just to hear my wife - uh, never mind. :tooth:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,291 Senior Member
    I was really irritated the first time I took my Howard Leight Impact Pro muffs hunting. All I could hear was the damn wind blowing and occasionally a pump jack so I took them off. Then I realized all I could hear was the blowing wind and occasionally a pump jack.

I won’t be without a set now. I really like being able to listen to music while I do mow or trim.
    Wore my Caldwells for a few hours this past weekend. Annoying as hell, but that's going to be ANY muffs. I despise wearing them. Almost took them off. Then I looked at the end of that 16" barrel where the 40-ish grains of H110 was gonna come from, and figured I'd better leave them on...
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    zorba wrote: »
    Great! Maybe I'll wear 'em just to hear my wife - uh, never mind. :tooth:
    Another reason I won't get hearing aids anytime soon. Takes away my "I didn't hear you." excuse :devil:
    Another reason I won't get hearing aids anytime soon. Takes away my "I didn't hear you." excuse :devil:

As it is, I need to quote "the gunny": SOUND OFF LIKE YOU HAVE A PAIR!!

Otherwise, I don't hear half of what she's saying.

As it is, I need to quote "the gunny": SOUND OFF LIKE YOU HAVE A PAIR!!

Otherwise, I don't hear half of what she's saying.

Huh?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Damn, FedEx beat their stated delivery date, they arrived today. First impressions, as well put together as my original Impact Sports. Feels like a quality build with everything tight and solid. Packaging says expect 350 hours of use with a pair of AA batteries (included Duracell’s, not standard junk). Auto shutoff in 4 hours, don’t remember if my originals have that but nice feature. Put them on while at my desk and had an annoying hum until I figured out it was my hard drive spinning which I’ve never heard before :tooth: so I stepped out into the house and TOTAL silence except for the tick tick of an old clock on a shelf in the living room which again, I’ve never heard before. No sounds that should not be there. Overall more comfortable ear cups than the smaller version and did I mention QUIET!!!!! I had to step outside to listen to outdoor sounds to really make sure they were on. I like these!!!! Range trial on Saturday unless I can sneak out tomorrow... :cool2:

Ok additional impressions. I just realized that the volume was only about 60% so I adjusted full up and Dear LORD, how do people with normal hearing live!!! I could hear every footstep I take even though I'm walking around barefoot and the air blowing out of the vents is driving me nuts!!! I can hear the fridge running from my office, my cotton T-Shirt rubbing against my body as I move and my wife typing on her Mac keyboard which until today I thought was a really soft/quiet unit. I think I'm REALLY going to like these for hunting but I decided I'm putting off getting hearing aids for a while!

Did you try shouldering a rifle or sit with one at the table yet?
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Did you try shouldering a rifle or sit with one at the table yet?
    Tomorrow. The darn things are as big as they look in the pictures for sure. Oh the wind screen for the microphones is built into the casing. Hope wind is blowing when I get to the range to see if it’s effective.
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Huh?

I'm telling her to speak up 'cause my hearing is crap and I can't hear her...

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,291 Senior Member
    I'm telling her to speak up 'cause my hearing is crap and I can't hear her...

Miss jokes much?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    Miss jokes much?

Actually, I do. My hearing really sucks. :tissue:

• 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,566 Senior Member
    Jumped on the bandwagon, ordered a set and will get them tomorrow off Amazon for 40 smackers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Jumped on the bandwagon, ordered a set and will get them tomorrow off Amazon for 40 smackers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cool. Didn't make it to range this weekend but I hope to sneak away sometime this week...
    Didn't make it to range this weekend but I hope to sneak away sometime this week...

Mine are here, but I'm not supposed to know about that as its a Xmas present from my wife. So I'm waiting to hear your impressions...

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,121 Senior Member
    I figured rather than make a new thread on the same subject, I’d just post here. I ordered new hearing protection today. Actually, I ordered 2 of them because I didn’t pay attention to what was in my cart... These are what I ordered;

http://www.gsmoutdoors.com/shopping/Razor-Slim-Electronic-Quad-Muff-w-Bluetooth-Black-P995.aspx

Walkers Razor Slim with Bluetooth. They are only 22-23 dB NRR, but they are much more slim and compact. If I need extra protection, I’ll wear plugs under them. I wanted to try the Bluetooth feature. They have a built in communication mic, so I can make and receive phone calls with them on. I can also play music from my iPhone on them. They have separate volume control for outside noise and Bluetooth volume. And, I got them for $77 each on Amazon.

ETA- these will be replacing a pair of VERY worn out Caldwell’s. The ear pads on mine are so hard, they don’t seal worth a crap any more. And they have the same issues others haven mentioned here. But, for what they cost, they did ok for a while. I’m thinking the new Walkers will feel like Cadillacs compared to the Caldwell Corolla.
    Jay wrote: »
    I figured rather than make a new thread on the same subject, I’d just post here. I ordered new hearing protection today. Actually, I ordered 2 of them because I didn’t pay attention to what was in my cart... These are what I ordered;

http://www.gsmoutdoors.com/shopping/Razor-Slim-Electronic-Quad-Muff-w-Bluetooth-Black-P995.aspx

Walkers Razor Slim with Bluetooth. They are only 22-23 dB NRR, but they are much more slim and compact. If I need extra protection, I’ll wear plugs under them. I wanted to try the Bluetooth feature. They have a built in communication mic, so I can make and receive phone calls with them on. I can also play music from my iPhone on them. They have separate volume control for outside noise and Bluetooth volume. And, I got them for $77 each on Amazon.

ETA- these will be replacing a pair of VERY worn out Caldwell’s. The ear pads on mine are so hard, they don’t seal worth a crap any more. And they have the same issues others haven mentioned here. But, for what they cost, they did ok for a while. I’m thinking the new Walkers will feel like Cadillacs compared to the Caldwell Corolla.
    They look pretty good and I like the Bluetooth feature a lot! These could be a good replacement for my older set, specially for hunting. Very interested in your range report.

BTW my new ones have been out to the range a few times and work as advertised. A little big but a huge improvement in noise reduction which is GREAT for range use! They don’t interfere with my bench shooting at all.
    BTW my new ones have been out to the range a few times and work as advertised. A little big but a huge improvement in noise reduction which is GREAT for range use! They don’t interfere with my bench shooting at all.

I got the same ones from my wife for Xmas. They rock! The increased NRR of 30 over my old ones of 26 is noticeable, and I can hear everything. Had free entertainment in the lane next to mine where the RSO was explaining that neither 9mm Makarov nor .380 would work in the shooter's 9mm pistol!

I got the same ones from my wife for Xmas. They rock! The increased NRR of 30 over my old ones of 26 is noticeable, and I can hear everything. Had free entertainment in the lane next to mine where the RSO was explaining that neither 9mm Makarov nor .380 would work in the shooter's 9mm pistol!

Yeah sometimes I have to bring the volume down on mine so I don't giggle myself into crappy shooting... :tooth:
    My new Walkers came in yesterday. I can give my initial impression of them. I haven’t been out shooting with them yet. Just wearing them around the house.

I am really impressed with them based on my initial use of them around the house. They seem very well made and solid. They came with good Duracell batteries, taking 2 AAA batteries in one side. Some of the reviews I’ve read reported about 25 hours of run time in a pair of batteries. I can live with that, if that’s the case.

First thing I did was pair them to my iPhone via Bluetooth. Very easy to do. There’s a Bluetooth button on the side. Push it, find them on my list of available devices on my phone, pair them. Done in a few seconds. I put them on and wore them around the house for a while, trying them with and without music playing. There are two volume control knobs. One for Bluetooth volume and one for outside sound volume. If you turn the music up, it makes it difficult to hear outside noise. Duh. It’s no different than turning the stereo up in your car. You can hear other sounds, but the music makes it harder. With no music playing, they work extremely well. I don’t have to turn them up much at all to get normal hearing level. I can hear no hissing, ringing or buzzing at all out of them. If I turn the volume up, it sounds like there is some noise, but just like Wambli reported on his, it’s just the regular noise around me being really amplified. Not the ears producing unwanted noise. These have 4 mics, plus the comm mic for using phone calls. While I was outside moving around, a small single prop plane flew over somewhat low. With the volume up a bit, it sounded like that thing was right on top of me. First thing I noted was the lack of ability to determine direction. It took me a second of looking around to see where the aircraft was in the sky. Even with 4 mics, you still only have one speaker per ear providing sound. But man, the sound was awesome.

Next, I decided to try a phone call on them. When paired with the phone, if you get a phone call, you simply press the Bluetooth button on the side of the ears to answer the call. I didn’t really have a reason to call anyone, so I just called one of my credit card automated services and navigated it with voice commands. Worked perfectly. I could clearly hear the automated voice and apparently it could hear me, as it did everything I wanted it to do when I spoke commands to it. When I use them for an actual phone call with a person, I’ll find out how well the other person can actually hear me.

As far as hearing protection, I guess I’m a bit biased. They let me know just how bad my worn out Caldwells were. Even with just a 22-23 dB reduction rating, they silenced outside noise FAR better. I turned them completely off while watching TV. The difference with them on and off made it very clear that they do a pretty good job of quieting things down. They are pretty slim and very comfortable to wear. Nice, soft rubber pads around the ears that did not pinch or cause any discomfort on me at all and they sealed totally.

Music quality out of them was surprisingly good. They are not Bose, but they aren’t intended to be for that purpose. They are hearing protection, not entertainment. But for having a little background music playing while wearing them, they really do sound good. The music is crystal clear and no distortion at all, even with the volume all the way up. They only thing they lack to have excellent music quality is good bass. But again, they aren’t intended to be high quality music headphones.

So far, I’m very happy with them. More to come when I get them out on the range.
    Cool! I’m putting one of those on my Amazon list and waiting for your range report.
    I definitely recommend them based on what I’ve done with them so far. I got mine on Amazon for $77.

A couple more things. Some of the phone calling functions, and I just came in from doing a quick test of the Bluetooth with them.

Phone call functions according to the instructions. To answer an incoming call while wearing them, single tap the button on the side of the ears and have your conversation as usual. To reject an incoming call, press and hold the button. To end a call, single tap the button again. If you’re on a call and get another call incoming, double tap the button and the second call will be answered. To switch back to the first call, single tap the button and the second call will be ended and return you back to your first call. To redial the last number on your phone while not on the phone, double tap the button. If you need to make a call to someone other than the last call, use the phone or voice command calling to place the call.

Now the test I just did. I wanted to test the range of the Bluetooth. I started music playing on my phone, put the phone down and started moving away 1 yard at a time. I got a text message when I was at 15 yards and heard the alert with the music playing. At 25 yards, they just started breaking up, but the music kept playing. At 27 yards, they started breaking up to the point I couldn’t hear the music much any more.
    That’s pretty darn good!
  • big elkbig elk Member Posts: 111 Member
    I have a pair of Phonak, but always turn them off and took them out of my ears. I'm going to try them the next time out, which I don't know when that will be, I fell Dec. 17 and broke 2 leg bones and I'm still waiting for surgery and than 2 months of rehab. If I remember I'll let everyone know.