Man cave stuff

1121315171821

Replies

  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,340 Senior Member
    Old Ron wrote: »
    Soon as you get the addition put on the shop you will have a nice cnc machine to make all sorts of cool projects. With the access to inexpensive steel I would be going nuts with new ideas. ( like I'm not nuts with new ideas & projects already ! )

    LOL, yes I have lots of ideas for stuff but too little time. With spring coming up quickly I have a powerful urge for a fire pit so that has to get started quickly!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,994 Senior Member
    If you intend to paint your fire pit I highly recommend VHT Header Paint. It is expensive but that paint holds up to heat better than any other rattle fan product I have tried.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,340 Senior Member
    Thanks for the tip, I’ll see what I can find, definitely want to use something high temp. I would rather shoot with compressor and spray gun over rattle cans, just seems to look better.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,310 Senior Member
    What shape are you planning ? Will you be able to take them apart to transport ? Cutting designs in the sides look cool at night with the fire going. Scalped top edges looks nice too. You could cut your friend's name in it . Can do fun stuff with a plasma cutter.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,340 Senior Member
    Old Ron wrote: »
    What shape are you planning ? Will you be able to take them apart to transport ? Cutting designs in the sides look cool at night with the fire going. Scalped top edges looks nice too. You could cut your friend's name in it . Can do fun stuff with a plasma cutter.

    I want a hexagon shape, wife and I are Spurs fans so maybe some Spurs logos cut into it. It will come to me as it goes together!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,340 Senior Member
    Finished setting up the new mig welder, holy crap the bottle was expensive. It will be cheap to refill but buying the first one hurts! Ran a few test beads, machine works great the auto settings are sweet, just select gas type, wire size, metal thickness and you are set.

    46iGzWo.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,608 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Finished setting up the new mig welder, holy crap the bottle was expensive. It will be cheap to refill but buying the first one hurts! Ran a few test beads, machine works great the auto settings are sweet, just select gas type, wire size, metal thickness and you are set.

    That tank looks like the 80 lb type, and I can bet that was expensive. The ones I bought were the 40 lb variety. I got one for Aluminum welding and one for steel welding. My Hobart welder came with a regulator set, so I got the tank for steel and then another tank and regulator for the Aluminum.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,340 Senior Member
    That tank looks like the 80 lb type, and I can bet that was expensive. The ones I bought were the 40 lb variety. I got one for Aluminum welding and one for steel welding. My Hobart welder came with a regulator set, so I got the tank for steel and then another tank and regulator for the Aluminum.

    Mine came with a regulator set too, no plans for aluminum right now, if I do I’ll get another bottle later. I opted for the bigger bottle, it will be cheaper in the long term on refills and I like the extra couple hours of welding time. I ordered some extra tips and nozzles, already had a couple rolls of wire so I am set for a good while.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,994 Senior Member
    Anti spatter spray, get some. It will keep the dingle berries from sticking to your work piece. This helps because you have less grinding to do which leads to a nicer looking finished product. Plus you can spray the nozzle of your mig gun and not have to deal with nozzle jelly.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Anti spatter spray, get some.

    Walmart generic cooking spray (PAM) is just as effective and a lot cheaper.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,340 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Walmart generic cooking spray (PAM) is just as effective and a lot cheaper.
    Jerry

    Good info, thanks
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,310 Senior Member
    They didn't have all that fancy settings when I bought my Lincoln. My tank is the same as yours the wire in mine are the big rolls . I managed to scrounge up some steel yesterday so will try to make that cutting blade for my snow blower today.
    Work got in the way of to much progress here yesterday. They are calling for snow today then a couple days of rain then back to snow. Seeing your side by side in the shop reminded me I have to do some work on mine. Put that on the summer to do list. Along with gutters & downs , tobacco plants , gate posts , street lights , small shed , clean shop , clean semi trailer ...... crap it's gonna be a busy summer .
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,608 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Mine came with a regulator set too, no plans for aluminum right now, if I do I’ll get another bottle later. I opted for the bigger bottle, it will be cheaper in the long term on refills and I like the extra couple hours of welding time. I ordered some extra tips and nozzles, already had a couple rolls of wire so I am set for a good while.

    I'm basically still a trainee. I just started learning some techniques at Jerry's last year after the shoot, because he was kind enough to show me the ropes of MIG welding. Since then I've been practicing with 1x4 inch strips of steel and aluminum. I bought an internet video training course and my welding skills have improved but I need a lot more practice.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,340 Senior Member
    I’m basically a trainee too. I took 2 years of welding classes at nights when I was in high school but it has been many years since I have done any serious metal work. Getting back into it again is fun!
    I started the fire pit today, so far so good. Going to be a fun spring in the back yard!
    gE1UVoM.jpg
    svMMXUS.jpg
    whoUYjA.jpg
    fJomiuF.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,310 Senior Member
    That is coming along great ! You will have to cut down a forest to get that monster going !
    I was a production welder.......I hated welding of any kind. Years after I quit that job & needed some welding done I found out how much kinda welders charge for simple jobs. After getting hosed twice I decided to buy a welder I do it myself.My dad gave me a lot of guff for spending that much on a welder........in a few weeks he was over with projects to weld up for him. The one thing about welding is that a crappy weld can always be fixed with a good grinder. As you know I tend to paint most of my projects & want the joints to be nice & smooth. Are you planning on some stubby legs on that so the bottom doesn't rust out so fast from sitting on the ground ?
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,340 Senior Member
    Yes the 1” tubing is for the legs, I also plan on adding a swing over grill. How it finishes out God will decide as I currently have no clue! It will be painted, I bought some high heat bbq paint today.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,310 Senior Member
    You will need a boom truck to move that moose around! Any thoughts on cut in designs yet ? If you are still thinking that it would have been easier to do it when the steel was flat. Any thought on getting the ashes out ? Or a grate to lift the wood up to get a better burn ?
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,340 Senior Member
    Goi g to put a grate in the bottom for the wood, ashes will shovel out easily. I thought about doing the cutouts first but decided less chance of warping if I welded the bottom on first. I’ll finish the cutouts before I weld everything out.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,310 Senior Member
    That will be a timc original ......... you can start takeing orders for them right away ! Might want a spit on it too so you could roast a whole hog on it......or side of beef ! ( just saying ) :rotflmao:
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,608 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    I’m basically a trainee too. I took 2 years of welding classes at nights when I was in high school but it has been many years since I have done any serious metal work. Getting back into it again is fun!
    I started the fire pit today, so far so good. Going to be a fun spring in the back yard!

    That looks fairly complex. Real nice project though. It looks like you made sort of a jig by welding some angle iron to the base plate to hold your side plates up while you weld them. Pretty ingenious set-up there. How did you get that hexagon to come out so perfect looking? Did you measure all the angles for accuracy?
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,340 Senior Member
    That looks fairly complex. Real nice project though. It looks like you made sort of a jig by welding some angle iron to the base plate to hold your side plates up while you weld them. Pretty ingenious set-up there. How did you get that hexagon to come out so perfect looking? Did you measure all the angles for accuracy?

    I watched a lot of YouTube videos before starting. The sides all set at 120 degree angles. I tack welder some small pieces of angle on the table to set the pieces for welding and then double checked angles with a protractor. It is not perfect but pretty close, I would say not bad for a first try.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,340 Senior Member
    Old Ron wrote: »
    That will be a timc original ......... you can start takeing orders for them right away ! Might want a spit on it too so you could roast a whole hog on it......or side of beef ! ( just saying ) :rotflmao:

    It did get a little big but I do have a couple cords of wood stacked up in the back yards so I am good for a couple of cool spring nights!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,310 Senior Member
    I see truck loads of fire wood in your future. ( beer & snacks too ) I have found doing things that you don't do 50 hours a week at work are fun things to do. My biggest hook is I like to learn how to do new things. I find that I can do a lot of things but usually think after I'm done I could have done a better job on them. As my tools & supply got better so did the results of my projects. I made a knife for my dad one time. It took me a month to make. At the end I didn't like it so I made another for him & it came out great. I kept the bad one just to remind me it doesn't always go perfect the first time.Steel is much more forgiving than wood is. Glass ......not at all.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,608 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    I watched a lot of YouTube videos before starting. The sides all set at 120 degree angles. I tack welder some small pieces of angle on the table to set the pieces for welding and then double checked angles with a protractor. It is not perfect but pretty close, I would say not bad for a first try.

    I was guessing they were 120 degree angles. That is coming along really nicely. For a beginner, you're really knocking it dead...congrats. My problem with practicing is there's little time. Between doctor appts for me and wife, gym 3 times a week, motorcycle repairs and other general maintenance around the house, I find myself with little time for other things.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,340 Senior Member
    I was guessing they were 120 degree angles. That is coming along really nicely. For a beginner, you're really knocking it dead...congrats. My problem with practicing is there's little time. Between doctor appts for me and wife, gym 3 times a week, motorcycle repairs and other general maintenance around the house, I find myself with little time for other things.

    Thanks for the vote of confidence, I needed it! I completely understand, I work 50-55 hours a week and on weekend call every5-6 weeks so not much practice time for me either. I’m nervous about cutting shapes, below is my first attempt at a Spurs logo, not bad but not great either. The biggest problem is that I cannot see the lines I draw out while I’m cutting. I ordered some silver welding pencils that I found on a search. They say the silver lines light up pretty good when cutting, this should help a lot. If anyone has any suggestions they will be greatly appreciated.

    UGe93A8.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,340 Senior Member
    Old Ron wrote: »
    I see truck loads of fire wood in your future. ( beer & snacks too ) I have found doing things that you don't do 50 hours a week at work are fun things to do. My biggest hook is I like to learn how to do new things. I find that I can do a lot of things but usually think after I'm done I could have done a better job on them. As my tools & supply got better so did the results of my projects. I made a knife for my dad one time. It took me a month to make. At the end I didn't like it so I made another for him & it came out great. I kept the bad one just to remind me it doesn't always go perfect the first time.Steel is much more forgiving than wood is. Glass ......not at all.

    Oh man, if I kept every project that didn’t go well my whole yard would be piled 10 feet deep!
    I am having fun with it and that really is all that matters. I do these little side projects to clear my mind of the 50+ hour real job stuff. I call it stress relief!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,953 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, I needed it! I completely understand, I work 50-55 hours a week and on weekend call every5-6 weeks so not much practice time for me either. I’m nervous about cutting shapes, below is my first attempt at a Spurs logo, not bad but not great either. The biggest problem is that I cannot see the lines I draw out while I’m cutting. I ordered some silver welding pencils that I found on a search. They say the silver lines light up pretty good when cutting, this should help a lot. If anyone has any suggestions they will be greatly appreciated.

    IMG]
    Best tip I have...cut it big, grind to fit!
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,340 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Best tip I have...cut it big, grind to fit!

    Yes but when cutting silhouettes I guess you would have to reverse that.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,310 Senior Member
    When I start learning new tools I try to keep my projects as simple as I can . Learn what I can do & can't do with the tool.
    Then go crazy & see how far I can push the tool & my talent. ( tool holds up well & my talent ....not so much ) Cutting narrow lines in the steel plates looks neat at night with the fire showing through. In old time stoves they put quartz stone in the door so you can see the glow of the fire. Something relaxing about looking at a flame or the glow of a fire.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,681 Senior Member
    As I learned from a fire pit I made. You don't want it to be more than 12'' from the ground or you won't feel any heat from it. Mine was only 20'' deep and you couldn't see the fire very well so I added a fireplace grate to keep the wood halfway up. Still couldn't feel heat unless you stood right beside it.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Sign In or Register to comment.