Man cave stuff

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,361 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    As I learned from a fire pit I made. You don't want it to be more than 12'' from the ground or you won't feel any heat from it. Mine was only 20'' deep and you couldn't see the fire very well so I added a fireplace grate to keep the wood halfway up. Still couldn't feel heat unless you stood right beside it.

The sides on mine are 18” tall, I’m thinking I might need to cut them down about 4”, I’m thinking the sides are just too tall. Even with a wood grate 4-5” off the bottom the swing over grill will be too high for good cooking heat.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Old Ron wrote: »
    When I start learning new tools I try to keep my projects as simple as I can . Learn what I can do & can't do with the tool.
    Then go crazy & see how far I can push the tool & my talent. ( tool holds up well & my talent ....not so much ) Cutting narrow lines in the steel plates looks neat at night with the fire showing through. In old time stoves they put quartz stone in the door so you can see the glow of the fire. Something relaxing about looking at a flame or the glow of a fire.

The wife drew up a simpler spur design that will not be as hard to cut. Once the new welder pencils come in we’ll see how they turn out. I’ll practice on a few before cutting on the pit. If worse comes to worse I’ll just cut some diamonds in it to cover up my booboo!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,806 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    The sides on mine are 18” tall, I’m thinking I might need to cut them down about 4”, I’m thinking the sides are just too tall. Even with a wood grate 4-5” off the bottom the swing over grill will be too high for good cooking heat.

Here's a pic of the one I built. Found the pic on Zillow from when the guy who flipped our old house listed it............

IS5arxlc1mxjn21000000000.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,540 Senior Member
    Now that's a project. Nice work there . When I do stone work it looks like cement that rocks fell in & a drunk decided to use it.
    Here's a pic of the one I built. Found the pic on Zillow from when the guy who flipped our old house listed it............

IS5arxlc1mxjn21000000000.jpg

How deep is the pit
    Now that's a project. Nice work there . When I do stone work it looks like cement that rocks fell in & a drunk decided to use it.

I hate masonry work, took me two months to complete this wishing well, 90% of the delay was the brick laying, I hate it! The finished product came out nice.

AP8qlE8.jpg
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,291 Senior Member
    Not that I'm enabling...

Watch this video to see a badass welding square in action.

https://youtu.be/34hfY5mhjZA

Available here.
    https://www.fireballtool.com

One could likely make a similar tool...
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,662 Senior Member
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, I needed it! I completely understand, I work 50-55 hours a week and on weekend call every 5-6 weeks so not much practice time for me either. I’m nervous about cutting shapes, below is my first attempt at a Spurs logo, not bad but not great either. The biggest problem is that I cannot see the lines I draw out while I’m cutting. I ordered some silver welding pencils that I found on a search. They say the silver lines light up pretty good when cutting, this should help a lot. If anyone has any suggestions they will be greatly appreciated.

Your excuse for not having much time is a lot better than mine....LOL
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
    My smaller projects are coming along. I think I need a bigger drying rack !

I hate masonry work, took me two months to complete this wishing well, 90% of the delay was the brick laying, I hate it! The finished product came out nice.

AP8qlE8.jpg

Just seeing that made me make a wish. " I wish I had one like that at my country land. "
    That actually is the well for my house. The pressure tank is in the garage. I didn’t want a big ugly well house in my front yard so this is what I built to hide it.
    My smaller projects are coming along. I think I need a bigger drying rack !

Looking good!
    That actually is the well for my house. The pressure tank is in the garage. I didn’t want a big ugly well house in my front yard so this is what I built to hide it.

If they have to replace the well pump does that all lift off to get in there ?
    If they have to replace the well pump does that all lift off to get in there ?

Two nylon straps around the roof and it all lifts out with the boom on the well truck, only the brick stays.
    That is a good idea. I was thinking about putting a outhouse over mine complete with the 1/4 moon door on it & a pump spicket inside....... Your idea is wayyyyyyy better.
    :rotflmao:
    How deep is the pit

Was 20''. Moved it up to 12'' so it could be seen. Still couldn't feel any heat unless you stood right beside it......

469276_478849835527948_527036599_o.jpg?oh=39dc1a867018fdc6a97a93c806a64e3b&oe=5B14E7E0
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Was 20''. Moved it up to 12'' so it could be seen. Still couldn't feel any heat unless you stood right beside it......

469276_478849835527948_527036599_o.jpg?oh=39dc1a867018fdc6a97a93c806a64e3b&oe=5B14E7E0

I do think I need to drop 4” off of mine. The warmth will be a little different on mine, the steel should wam up and give off good heat. Thanks for the info!
    When/if I do another it will be a lot simpler. Buy an insert and dry stack some blocks.............

new-metal-fire-pit-covers-square-flat-square-fire-pit-cover-outside-pinterest.jpg
    A guy called yesterday & asked if I would want a small metal lath . I said yes without a thought. It needs a motor & a stand , not a big deal to set up. Problem comes with where I will find a place to put it. I could use it to make dowel plugs for barrels that I am hot blueing. It's for metal but I think it could work with wood too. A 1/2 hp or 1 hp should run that just fine. All depends on what I find in my electric motor pile.
    I need friends like that!
    A guy called yesterday & asked if I would want a small metal lath . I said yes without a thought. It needs a motor & a stand , not a big deal to set up. Problem comes with where I will find a place to put it. I could use it to make dowel plugs for barrels that I am hot blueing. It's for metal but I think it could work with wood too. A 1/2 hp or 1 hp should run that just fine. All depends on what I find in my electric motor pile.

A 1/2 HP or smaller even will work fine. And yes, they work fine for wood. But then you get to clean the sawdust.
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    A 1/2 HP or smaller even will work fine. And yes, they work fine for wood. But then you get to clean the sawdust.

Seems like no matter what I do ........a lot of clean up is needed.
    Had a meeting in Chicago yesterday so no idea if he stopped by or not with the lathe will need to look through my tool box & see what I have left for cutters. I had a bucket full & gave them away. ( figures )
    I hear ya, my shop is a mess right now. I haven’t been able to get anything done since last Saturday, got a rough case of sciatica going on. My doctor has me on steroids, muscle relaxers and some pretty awesome pain killers. I’ve been hurting all week but seems to be easing up some today. I think I’ll be able to get back on the fire pit this weekend but going to take it slow.

I got a tube roller in today, been waiting on it for a couple weeks. Nice little tool to have around. I want to buy a nice powered tube roller but it will have to wait until bonus time later this year.

VcJgswC.jpg
    Now there is a tool I don't have.
    If back or feet go there isn't much you can do until it lets up. Hope you get better soon .......more projects to do !
    Now there is a tool I don't have.
    If back or feet go there isn't much you can do until it lets up. Hope you get better soon .......more projects to do !

Thank you sir, hopefully I’ll be good enough in the next day or two to get back at it at least enough to make a stand for the roller.
    Stands in my world with wheels on save my back a bunch. ( painted too ) I am still working on stocks & find that steel is a lot faster process than doing wood stocks. Maybe once I have a better idea what I am doing I will like wood as much as steel work.
    Stands in my world with wheels on save my back a bunch. ( painted too ) I am still working on stocks & find that steel is a lot faster process than doing wood stocks. Maybe once I have a better idea what I am doing I will like wood as much as steel work.

I really like working with wood doing projects like the wishing well. I really need to add wheels to the stands.
    I managed to get some work done in the shop today. I finished the weld out on the outside and got everything ground down, still need to finish the weld out on the inside and grind then I’ll make the grill and legs. Hopefully all but paint will get finished this weekend.

01M9oRU.jpg
    Why you weld inside and outside? It ain't going anywhere...
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    Why you weld inside and outside? It ain't going anywhere...

Just hiding the seams to give it a little more finished look, this one is for me!
    That is shaping up nice !
    I seem to do a lot of extra things to my projects that most would not do. When I short cut something I see it all the time & it bugs me until I do it the way I planed in the first place. When you build things you see things that others never see. I look at my work with a 10x glass & if I'm happy with it then I know others with a naked eye won't see a thing. I do get a lot done but each project really is slow . All in different stages keeps it interesting. Here it is the end of another month & I managed to only get 1 done stamp on. Oh well maybe next month I will get more.