Man cave stuff

11517192021

Replies

  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,551 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Yep I need to add some wheels to stuff, more and more I find the need to rearrange while working. You have way too much cool stuff! That metal lathe is going to be a cool toy when you get it up and running.

    What kind of tobacco its that? I don't know much about it. I smoked for almost 30 years before quitting I've been smoke free since march of 2003 and While I do not miss cigarettes I do miss a good cigar.

    It is a blend of 3 different types for cigarettes. I have only been growing for the past 4 years. No one in this area grows so I just have been trying & seeing what works & tastes good to me.
    A lot of guys laugh at me putting wheels on anything I can but in a small shop I need to roll out many different things depending on the project.
    Your pit is really looking great ! I think that will be a place for fun & to relax all summer long.
    The lathe will be fun to get all fixed up ( & painted ) I make a lot of small things so it should be a good fit in the shop .
    What did you think of the pool table cart ? To me it looks like it could be re-worked to something more useful in the shop. Made a dent in the projects today . Managed to paint a guard for the country shop compressor. I did it in Harley orange. I think it will look nice on that old compressor. My friend did his in Snap-on red. He is the best paint & body man I have ever seen. He gets a kick out of me & my projects & rattle cans. Threw a coat of primer on the tins & now I can see what still needs to be fixed better. Had to move my stocks out of the area so I didn't get dust on them. I have been following Al's advice so I want them to turn out as nice as I can produce. Won't be as nice as his work but I have never tried this before.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    That's some damn fine metal work there! :worthy:

    Thank you, pretty pleased with the outcome so far.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    Old Ron wrote: »
    It is a blend of 3 different types for cigarettes. I have only been growing for the past 4 years. No one in this area grows so I just have been trying & seeing what works & tastes good to me.
    A lot of guys laugh at me putting wheels on anything I can but in a small shop I need to roll out many different things depending on the project.
    Your pit is really looking great ! I think that will be a place for fun & to relax all summer long.
    The lathe will be fun to get all fixed up ( & painted ) I make a lot of small things so it should be a good fit in the shop .
    What did you think of the pool table cart ? To me it looks like it could be re-worked to something more useful in the shop. Made a dent in the projects today . Managed to paint a guard for the country shop compressor. I did it in Harley orange. I think it will look nice on that old compressor. My friend did his in Snap-on red. He is the best paint & body man I have ever seen. He gets a kick out of me & my projects & rattle cans. Threw a coat of primer on the tins & now I can see what still needs to be fixed better. Had to move my stocks out of the area so I didn't get dust on them. I have been following Al's advice so I want them to turn out as nice as I can produce. Won't be as nice as his work but I have never tried this before.

    Funny you ask about the pool table cart, my first thought when I saw it was, “man I could use that to move this big ass fire pit!” Lol

    I’m sure you will find a good use for it, looks pretty heavy duty!

    The best stock work I ever did was when I did a tung oil finish in a Springfield 03A3. Took a long time and about 20 coats but it came out beautiful.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,551 Senior Member
    That cart will pick up 2000 pounds. For things like your fire pit I would use a 4 wheel flat dolly . The carts you buy at HF are ok but the wheels are cheap made . I have a few of the flat carts & usually grab the one I made with good wheels on.
    You already have the steel & they are simple & quick to make. After the fire pit move you will always find uses for it to make things easier. I even put a 32 gun safe on mine & rolled it outside to sand & clean up & to paint too.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,551 Senior Member
    Well hope you made it back timc.
    By now you probably have the fire pit all painted & setting in the yard ?
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,551 Senior Member
    I did manage to make a run to the country shop.......didn't do anything but drop the guards off for the compressor out there.

  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    Nice, going to look great installed!

    finished the weld-out on the fire pit last night. Made the frame for the grate that goes in the bottom. Today I’m going to make the swing over grill, do some sanding ad prep for painting. I’m looking forward to seeing a fire going in it!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,551 Senior Member
    You will have a lot of fun with your creation this summer timc............on the other hand I will be at the country shop working all summer. As you can see it needs a little work.

  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #490
    Just a little.  ;) 
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,551 Senior Member
    That is in the front as you go back in it actually gets worse ........imagine that.
    And there is a semi trailer next to the shop full too. And stuff stored between the building.
    I don't think there will be a lot of sit around a camp fire for me this summer. The good news is that I slowed down buying this winter. I need to put up gutters & downs on that building this year too. That should be fun & easy using " smokey " the bucket truck. If I remember to take the camera with up I will snap some shots from 40' up.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    Man you have way too much stuff but it looks like a lot of really cool stuff! I would be like a kid in a candy store in there.

    made good progress on the fire pit today starting to look like I know what I’m doing, lol.
    Still have the winch to add and some other small items but it is close to being finished. I’m looking forward to seeing some ribeyes on it!

    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Looking good Tim. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    Thank you sir!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
      
    Ron, that is about 325’ up. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,551 Senior Member
    WOW !
    That is way higher than this old butt wants to be .
    What was you working on that high up ?
    Your pit is looking great ! What will the swing arm be for ? You could pick up a 1/4 of beef to cook on there . There will be some fine eats down your way this year. 
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    The swing arm will have a cable going to the grill by winch crank, I will be able to raise and lower the grill depending on fire level and how fast I want to cook. All is detachable in case I just want a fire only.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,551 Senior Member
    What is your wife thinking of the creation ?
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    WOW !
    That is way higher than this old butt wants to be .
    What was you working on that high up ?
    Your pit is looking great ! What will the swing arm be for ? You could pick up a 1/4 of beef to cook on there . There will be some fine eats down your way this year. 
    We were working on the buss bar that feeds electricity up to the top. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,551 Senior Member
    I can get enough pucker at 42' ........on that thing no way !
    I would like to own one that big for projects ........No better stay with 42'.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    What is your wife thinking of the creation ?
    She said “we already have a big bbq pit, why do we need that?”
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,551 Senior Member
    And you got around that ................How ? lol
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #503
    Old Ron said:
    And you got around that ................How ? lol
    She said, “You spend too much time in the shop.” Me, “but it makes me happy.” My wife , “I want to go on vacation!” Me, “ wherever you want to go!” Now you know how!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,551 Senior Member
    Every time I would say things like that to a woman .........I would get hit !
    ( why do small people like to hit big people ?)
    Hey tim go to old guns & look at the pic. I put of stock parts. Do you have any idea how to cut that center out & get a nice clean cut ? I plan to do all my sanding first & then cut it out but wanted an idea how to. Yep that will make 3 stocks going at the same time. I don't have many more to do with new wood but have a few with old wood that need repairs. I hope to learn & get a good result by the time I get through all them.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,583 Senior Member
    Tim,
    youve got metal, you've got a plasma cutter. You need to cut out little branding irons for your steaks. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Tim,
    youve got metal, you've got a plasma cutter. You need to cut out little branding irons for your steaks. 
    That is a. Interestingly cool idea!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,583 Senior Member
    timc said:
    cpj said:
    Tim,
    youve got metal, you've got a plasma cutter. You need to cut out little branding irons for your steaks. 
    That is a. Interestingly cool idea!
    You could either make them in a traditional fashion with a handle, or weld them to the grate. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #508
    Finally finished this afternoon, I’m liking the adjustable grill
    Low

    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #509
    Having pictures issues.

    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,551 Senior Member
    With some paint you will have a done stamp on that bad boy !
    Any ideas on the next project ?
    Steel chairs would look nice around that .
    Steel benches for drinks & things would be nice.
    Steel glider to nap on would be nice.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    With some paint you will have a done stamp on that bad boy !
    Any ideas on the next project ?
    Steel chairs would look nice around that .
    Steel benches for drinks & things would be nice.
    Steel glider to nap on would be nice.
    Shot paint on the sides and bottom this evening, looks great but had a booboo with the spray gun. I dropped the can off it half way through painting which dumped a pint of black paint on my nice floor. Oh well it’s a workshop and stuff happens. The fire pit however is looking great. Hopefully I’ll have it ready to go by the end off the week. Don’t know when I’ll get to try it out next weekend I’m supposed to go axis hunting. If I don’t go it will be steak time!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.