Man cave stuff

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,361 Senior Member
    Made a lot of progress today with one big booboo.
    Got the legs mounted, finished the weld out and got brave enough to cut some designs. I was all pleased with myself until I realized I laid the pattern backwards. Oh well it is what it is!
    All in all it it coming out nice. I still have a lot of finish work. On top of everything else the dew point is just right for my floor to sweat and the shop is a messs. Going to finish everything then give the floor a good pressure wash.

LOe67Mo.jpg
    wm8GeZ7.jpg
    SpEBgBv.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,540 Senior Member
    Looking good there timc !
    You are going way faster than I am .............you usually do !
    Today I plan to hit it better than the last week. My shop clean up is wayyyyyy behind. I want to do some more work on the tins ( before I do coats on wood ) I got that backaswords a few times last week & didn't want to take the chance of dust in the air. A paint booth with filtered air would be nice. Oh that's right NO ROOM ! I did score a freebee yesterday. It is a pool table lift that I gave to a bar owner years ago. It has great wheels on it. It might be good for under a bench welded on then I could pick up the bench , roll it where I want & then drop it on the legs & it wouldn't have a chance to move.I will snap a pic of it sometime today & see what you think of it.
    Old Ron wrote: »
    Looking good there timc !
    You are going way faster than I am .............you usually do !

Thanks, I am making good progress but paying for it in pain, my back is still giving me trouble. I was in the shop from 07:00 yesterday morning till about 20:00. About 18:00 a buddy showed up with a growler of some really good IPA so we had a brain storming secession and finished it off.

Taking the wife to breakfast this morning, woke up too late to make it to church. I owe her some quality time since I’ve been spending so much time at work and in the shop. When we get back it will be back to the fire pit. I think I will finish cleaning up the designs I cut out in it and build the outside rails.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    It really is tough to get the interesting things in with all the other things we do every day. I am making a little progress with the want to dos today. I did get some primer on the tin so I had to move the wood projects out of the room. I actually made a couple clean spots on the floor too ! Here is that cart I was telling you about. Even down it is kinda tall .....but it has wheels ! lol

The 2016 tobacco is ready to process now too.

Compared to the 2017 this is nothing . The 2017 will take me a couple months to process.
    A friend just dropped off that little lathe I was talking about. Cute little thing .........& FREE !
    It really is tough to get the interesting things in with all the other things we do every day. I am making a little progress with the want to dos today. I did get some primer on the tin so I had to move the wood projects out of the room. I actually made a couple clean spots on the floor too ! Here is that cart I was telling you about. Even down it is kinda tall .....but it has wheels ! lol

The 2016 tobacco is ready to process now too.

Compared to the 2017 this is nothing . The 2017 will take me a couple months to process.

Yep I need to add some wheels to stuff, more and more I find the need to rearrange while working. You have way too much cool stuff! That metal lathe is going to be a cool toy when you get it up and running.

What kind of tobacco its that? I don't know much about it. I smoked for almost 30 years before quitting I've been smoke free since march of 2003 and While I do not miss cigarettes I do miss a good cigar.
    Made big progress this weekend but not where I wanted to be. Gaining a lot of confidence in reviving my metal working skills, between the benches and shelves I made and now this fire-pit, its all coming back to me. Cutting the designs out took a lot of courage, ahem, I mean beer to get the nerve up to start cutting but it came out awesome. I may have to make another brick patio to put this monster on but that won't be too hard. I sure am having a ot of fun with this project.

G1SEhVl.jpg
    Jljcr0x.jpg
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,910 Senior Member
    That's some damn fine metal work there! :worthy:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
    timc wrote: »
    Yep I need to add some wheels to stuff, more and more I find the need to rearrange while working. You have way too much cool stuff! That metal lathe is going to be a cool toy when you get it up and running.

What kind of tobacco its that? I don't know much about it. I smoked for almost 30 years before quitting I've been smoke free since march of 2003 and While I do not miss cigarettes I do miss a good cigar.

It is a blend of 3 different types for cigarettes. I have only been growing for the past 4 years. No one in this area grows so I just have been trying & seeing what works & tastes good to me.
    A lot of guys laugh at me putting wheels on anything I can but in a small shop I need to roll out many different things depending on the project.
    Your pit is really looking great ! I think that will be a place for fun & to relax all summer long.
    The lathe will be fun to get all fixed up ( & painted ) I make a lot of small things so it should be a good fit in the shop .
    What did you think of the pool table cart ? To me it looks like it could be re-worked to something more useful in the shop. Made a dent in the projects today . Managed to paint a guard for the country shop compressor. I did it in Harley orange. I think it will look nice on that old compressor. My friend did his in Snap-on red. He is the best paint & body man I have ever seen. He gets a kick out of me & my projects & rattle cans. Threw a coat of primer on the tins & now I can see what still needs to be fixed better. Had to move my stocks out of the area so I didn't get dust on them. I have been following Al's advice so I want them to turn out as nice as I can produce. Won't be as nice as his work but I have never tried this before.
    zorba wrote: »
    That's some damn fine metal work there! :worthy:

Thank you, pretty pleased with the outcome so far.
    It is a blend of 3 different types for cigarettes. I have only been growing for the past 4 years. No one in this area grows so I just have been trying & seeing what works & tastes good to me.
    A lot of guys laugh at me putting wheels on anything I can but in a small shop I need to roll out many different things depending on the project.
    Your pit is really looking great ! I think that will be a place for fun & to relax all summer long.
    The lathe will be fun to get all fixed up ( & painted ) I make a lot of small things so it should be a good fit in the shop .
    What did you think of the pool table cart ? To me it looks like it could be re-worked to something more useful in the shop. Made a dent in the projects today . Managed to paint a guard for the country shop compressor. I did it in Harley orange. I think it will look nice on that old compressor. My friend did his in Snap-on red. He is the best paint & body man I have ever seen. He gets a kick out of me & my projects & rattle cans. Threw a coat of primer on the tins & now I can see what still needs to be fixed better. Had to move my stocks out of the area so I didn't get dust on them. I have been following Al's advice so I want them to turn out as nice as I can produce. Won't be as nice as his work but I have never tried this before.

Funny you ask about the pool table cart, my first thought when I saw it was, “man I could use that to move this big ass fire pit!” Lol

I’m sure you will find a good use for it, looks pretty heavy duty!

The best stock work I ever did was when I did a tung oil finish in a Springfield 03A3. Took a long time and about 20 coats but it came out beautiful.
    That cart will pick up 2000 pounds. For things like your fire pit I would use a 4 wheel flat dolly . The carts you buy at HF are ok but the wheels are cheap made . I have a few of the flat carts & usually grab the one I made with good wheels on.
    You already have the steel & they are simple & quick to make. After the fire pit move you will always find uses for it to make things easier. I even put a 32 gun safe on mine & rolled it outside to sand & clean up & to paint too.
    Well hope you made it back timc.
    By now you probably have the fire pit all painted & setting in the yard ?
    I did manage to make a run to the country shop.......didn't do anything but drop the guards off for the compressor out there.

Nice, going to look great installed!

finished the weld-out on the fire pit last night. Made the frame for the grate that goes in the bottom. Today I’m going to make the swing over grill, do some sanding ad prep for painting. I’m looking forward to seeing a fire going in it!
    You will have a lot of fun with your creation this summer timc............on the other hand I will be at the country shop working all summer. As you can see it needs a little work.

edited March 3 #498
    Just a little.  ;) 
    That is in the front as you go back in it actually gets worse ........imagine that.
    And there is a semi trailer next to the shop full too. And stuff stored between the building.
    I don't think there will be a lot of sit around a camp fire for me this summer. The good news is that I slowed down buying this winter. I need to put up gutters & downs on that building this year too. That should be fun & easy using " smokey " the bucket truck. If I remember to take the camera with up I will snap some shots from 40' up.
    Man you have way too much stuff but it looks like a lot of really cool stuff! I would be like a kid in a candy store in there.

made good progress on the fire pit today starting to look like I know what I’m doing, lol.
    Still have the winch to add and some other small items but it is close to being finished. I’m looking forward to seeing some ribeyes on it!

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,054 Senior Member
    Looking good Tim. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Thank you sir!

Ron, that is about 325’ up. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    WOW !
    That is way higher than this old butt wants to be .
    What was you working on that high up ?
    Your pit is looking great ! What will the swing arm be for ? You could pick up a 1/4 of beef to cook on there . There will be some fine eats down your way this year. 
    The swing arm will have a cable going to the grill by winch crank, I will be able to raise and lower the grill depending on fire level and how fast I want to cook. All is detachable in case I just want a fire only.
    What is your wife thinking of the creation ?
    Old Ron said:
    WOW !
    That is way higher than this old butt wants to be .
    What was you working on that high up ?
    Your pit is looking great ! What will the swing arm be for ? You could pick up a 1/4 of beef to cook on there . There will be some fine eats down your way this year. 
    We were working on the buss bar that feeds electricity up to the top. 
    Dad 5-31-13
    I can get enough pucker at 42' ........on that thing no way !
    I would like to own one that big for projects ........No better stay with 42'.
    Old Ron said:
    What is your wife thinking of the creation ?
    She said “we already have a big bbq pit, why do we need that?”
    And you got around that ................How ? lol
    edited March 4 #511
    Old Ron said:
    And you got around that ................How ? lol
    She said, “You spend too much time in the shop.” Me, “but it makes me happy.” My wife , “I want to go on vacation!” Me, “ wherever you want to go!” Now you know how!