Boston Globe advocates for gun confiscation

According to the NRA daily alert. This bears careful watching. The left has come to the conclusion that the mental health issue is too difficult to monitor and control. Going after guns is easier and more popular. i hope that I am dead wrong on this, but I think it possible for more and more papers to join the ranks of the Globe, followed by the electronic media. We(gun owners) cannot afford to think that it can never happen here. After all, we have the second amendment. But the constitution can be amended,courts may rule is a disastrous way. In the current political climate, radicalism can easily gain steam and as we have seen, politicians cave to their demands. So hopefully we will not be complacent and apathetic. Stay informed, stay alert, stay involved.
We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,660 Senior Member
    Here is the op-ed that they are probably referencing:
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2017/11/10/hand-over-your-weapons/6IxJLanMKGak7RvCLipwbN/story.html

The author says we should turn in our guns. Well.. what if I say “no”? Now what are you going to do? Send armed agents to commit violence on your behalf to enforce your will on me?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    I think the globe should be tossed into Basstaan Haabaa.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    Hand over your weapons

Molon Labe

you'll need to bring your friends.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    Well, I would hope any police officer who receives orders to carry out a confiscation would refuse, and those who don't refuse would accept that they've become enemies of the people.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Be easier to build a time machine.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,715 Senior Member
    ANY police officer or person in the military that would show up to confiscate personal firearms from law abiding citizens is an enemy of the Constitution and the United States. After a few people die rather than willingly give up their firearms, then people will start 'voting from the rooftops', and that will not be a pretty sight at all. Seriously, firearms owners outnumber ALL local, state, federal, and armed forces by a HUGE margin. Nothing good would come of any confiscation scheme they could come up with, and they KNOW it.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    Would banning the sale of ammo stand up to a SC challenge? I kind of doubt it myself but didn't San Fran ban the sale of hollow points? What's to stop them from going a step further?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,825 Senior Member
    Well, I would hope any police officer who receives orders to carry out a confiscation would refuse, and those who don't refuse would accept that they've become enemies of the people.

I would also hope that they have paid up life insurance policies...for the sake of their dependants....

Seriously, I know a few newer cops who would click their heels, throw a Sieg Heil salute and March off to do their masters bidding.....Swear to God...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Boston Globe, like most "Newspapers" are good for potty training a dog or bird cage lining...not much else.
    Support your local Scouts!
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 469 Member
    Well gentlemen, remember new Orleans? During Katrina the police force was ordered by the mayor to confiscate guns. Not one officer was shot at. Same thing in the US Virgin islands. As I look at the responses above I see a lot of "it could never happen here" I hope that you are right. There was a time when corporations like Xerox and IBM and AT&T became complacent because they had no real competition. they never dreamed their market shares could shrink as they have. Same with firearms. Right now it is hard to imagine a scenario where confiscation takes place. But most of our population lives is urban and suburban areas with little to no contact with guns being used for sporting purposes and defense. And worse, that population thinks that our rights are based on need. They would argue for "sensible" outlawing of certain guns because they are not needed. Heed the lessons of the hitler era.
    gunwalker wrote: »
    Well gentlemen, remember new Orleans? During Katrina the police force was ordered by the mayor to confiscate guns. Not one officer was shot at. Same thing in the US Virgin islands. As I look at the responses above I see a lot of "it could never happen here" I hope that you are right. There was a time when corporations like Xerox and IBM and AT&T became complacent because they had no real competition. they never dreamed their market shares could shrink as they have. Same with firearms. Right now it is hard to imagine a scenario where confiscation takes place. But most of our population lives is urban and suburban areas with little to no contact with guns being used for sporting purposes and defense. And worse, that population thinks that our rights are based on need. They would argue for "sensible" outlawing of certain guns because they are not needed. Heed the lessons of the hitler era.

One item you are overlooking.....since Katrina (and directly because of what happened in NOLA) it is now illegal by Federal Law to confiscate firearms during a disaster....(several states have enacted similar laws as well)
    See the Stafford Act....the idiot in the Virgin Islands is either ignorant of the Federal Statute or there is some loophole in U.S. Territories that allows them to ignore Federal Law
    Jayhawker, you are right. The operative word is “disaster”. Mass shootings have not occurred during disasters so i’m Not seeing the Stanford act as much protection.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,525 Senior Member
    gunwalker wrote: »
    Jayhawker, you are right. The operative word is “disaster”. Mass shootings have not occurred during disasters so i’m Not seeing the Stanford act as much protection.

There was a lot of robberies, looting, armed robberies, rapes and murders after Katrina. The media just did not make them known. We heard some stories about the stadium, but not many at all compared to what happened. As the people in uniform that were there.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,544 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    One item you are overlooking.....since Katrina (and directly because of what happened in NOLA) it is now illegal by Federal Law to confiscate firearms during a disaster....(several states have enacted similar laws as well)
    See the Stafford Act....the idiot in the Virgin Islands is either ignorant of the Federal Statute or there is some loophole in U.S. Territories that allows them to ignore Federal Law

Laws or no laws, gunwalker is right: The police confiscated guns in NOLA without resistance. The only violence perpetrated was by the cops. Remember Patricia Komie?
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Laws or no laws, gunwalker is right: The police confiscated guns in NOLA without resistance. The only violence perpetrated was by the cops. Remember Patricia Komie?

Yep I do ( they were also confiscating a lot of firearms from folks who weren't there to resist as well....by ransacking their homes)
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,544 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Yep I do ( they were also confiscating a lot of firearms from folks who weren't there to resist as well....by ransacking their homes)

How many of those guns ended up in their personal collections?
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,367 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    How many of those guns ended up in their personal collections?

Doesn't take a disaster for that, my brother in law said his brother had acquired a very nice gun collection as a chief of police in Florida.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,045 Senior Member

I wouldn't count on it. As a retiree of a relatively large northeastern police force, if the rank and file police officers get an order to search house to house for weapons deemed illegal by the federal government, I believe they will follow the orders and not consider constitutionality first. There will either be a bloodbath or peaceful resignation.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Make-MY-Day has an excellent point. It is not the role of police to interpret the constitution.
  • john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    Ever hear of "street justice"?
  • JamesAPrattIIIJamesAPrattIII Member Posts: 152 Member
    Remember the BATFE? according to their wiki site 75% of the people they arrest have NO criminal record. A book I read has this figure at 80% and also says the people arrested have no criminal intent and often the people arrested don't realize they are breaking the law. So giving the BATFE sweeping new powers to confiscate guns which is what the Boston Globe, The New York Times, the Clintons, Bloomberg, Feinstein ect want will have them running around like the SS Einstazgruppen rounding up and killing Jews. The mainstream media will praise them for there "aggressiveness" reguardless of how badly they act. This could be America one day, sadly.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    john9001 wrote: »
    I think the globe should be tossed into Basstaan Haabaa.

Either that or made into Paper Machet decoys, take em hunting.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.