Don't laugh, but I just bought a...

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,566 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Had one, sold one.
    Reasonably accurate. Shot fmj reliably. Hollow points? Forget it.
    IIRC, you had to be careful with hitting the mag release accidentally while shooting or the mag would
    Drop down and cause hate.
    As far as being "ugly as a Glock", you're high. While neither gun wins any beauty contest, the HP is hideous.

I kinda figured you'd have some experience with them. I've heard that about HPs as well, and I have the same problem with the mag release on my Luger for some reason. Just in the wrong place for my hand, I guess.

Hi-Point still looks better than a Glock! :tooth:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Hi-Point still looks better than a Glock! :tooth:

What Color is Your Parachute? . . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,054 Senior Member
    If it works out OK, I'll bring it to the shoot, you can give 'er a whirl!

For $176, you don't get "refinement"!!!

But I still think they're no uglier than Glocks.

A few months ago I paid $275 for a new S&W M&P Shield, then got a $75 rebate check. For $24 more, I’d feel a bit better. Some good deals out there now and then. But, it’s better than nothing, for sure. Hope it works well for you.
    Jay wrote: »
    Hope it works well for you.

If it does, great. If it does not, it didn't cost me much - I'll get something different. I've been curious about them for some time, wife's suggestion that we buy a shelf gun is an excuse to check 'em out. From what I'm reading, I think it'll be fine - but the jury's still out. Range reports incoming when I get the thing in-hand. We'll see what the good, the bad, and the ugly are.

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,680 Senior Member
    Don’t laugh but that damn thing is growing on me... :tooth:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,709 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »

A little Wall Street right at home :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,873 Senior Member
    If it does, great. If it does not, it didn't cost me much - I'll get something different. I've been curious about them for some time, wife's suggestion that we buy a shelf gun is an excuse to check 'em out. From what I'm reading, I think it'll be fine - but the jury's still out. Range reports incoming when I get the thing in-hand. We'll see what the good, the bad, and the ugly are.

What is a "Shelf Gun" ?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Big Chief wrote: »
    A little Wall Street right at home :jester:

When are you ordering yours? :devil:

Wambli Ska wrote: »

Wait for my range report at the very least - if I'm gonna "take one for the team", somebody might as well benefit!

Diver43 wrote: »
    What is a "Shelf Gun" ?

Gun you put up on a high shelf for when you unexpectedly need it!

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,444 Senior Member
    I guess everyone needs a "throw down gun".
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • beanfieldbeanfield Member Posts: 87 Member
    I bought a high point carbine a while back in 9 mm. People bad mouthed them so badly, I had to see for myself. The only thing it balked at shooting were some sub sonic 158 LSWC's that didn't have the umph to eject. Another shooter was trying to bad mouth it, saying it wasn't any good past 50 meters. Next time out to the range, I had the cheapest Tasco mil-dot scope I could find mounted and we were knocking over bowling pins out at 300 meters. It did so well, I bought a C9 to go along with it. They are a decent product and you can't beat their warranty.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I guess everyone needs a "throw down gun".

but the ground might throw it back
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Gun you put up on a high shelf for when you unexpectedly need it!

I figured either that or one you store on the shelf of your work bench because it always needs fixing
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I figured either that or one you store on the shelf of your work bench because it always needs fixing

Touche'!

In all seriousness I hope it works out for you.
    I have always hear people that talk good or very bad about them
    In all seriousness I hope it works out for you.
    I have always hear people that talk good or very bad about them

Yea, there seems to be very little "in the middle" opinions on them. People either swear by them or swear at them!

• shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,000 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    but the ground might throw it back

No it wouldn't......something that heavy would leave a crater.
    No it wouldn't......something that heavy would leave a crater.

You win the Internet!

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,966 Senior Member
    Reliability aside, there are no Zamak guns allowed in my world.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,812 Senior Member
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,144 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Naw just a pink one

I think they have one in Muddy Girl Camo!

Just got the tracking number, supposed to be at my FFL tomorrow - I suspect I won't be able to get hands on until Friday. Darn Holiday anyway!

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,966 Senior Member
    So are you prepared for all the snickering and pointing when the thing is unveiled?.....the gun...not you...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    So are you prepared for all the snickering and pointing when the thing is unveiled?.....the gun...not you...

At the FFL? Oh, probably!

Ok, its here:

attachment.php?attachmentid=10975&d=1511386166

Picked it up on the way home from the range today, so no shootee yet. Photographed it along side the Ruger LC9s as I had that gun in-hand when I unboxed the Hi-Point.

Initial impressions: Certainly is heavy (.2oz shy of 2 pounds empty!), should be a soft shooter. Seems well enough made. Wife, who is very particular about handgun grips, likes the feel of the thing. Has a rattle - slide back, slide forward, hold slide, cocked, uncocked, mag in, mag out; doesn't matter. Need to Google this, probably normal. Ran a patch through the bbl, followed by an oiled patch, and put it in the safe until I can get back to the range to wring it out.

ETA: The rattle is normal, its the drop safety according to the University of Google.

• FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 463 Member
    Saturday night special. Some of my demographic swear by them. I’m not a fan but I make it a point to fire what I can that I also sell and they have functioned flawless for me with FMJ’s. Still incredibly bulky and ugly.
    I ordered a pair of 10 round mags for it from Hi-Point, got a 10% Black Friday discount and free shipping.

I've done some hand cycling with snap caps - with a fair number of jams. Research indicates that these guns don't hand cycle very well, so the jury's still out on this. I also have found out what needs to be done to the mags to make the gun run reliably. I'm *NOT* going to do any of them before I go to the range (Science!), but suspect I'll do the mag lip mod - the mags are for both 9mm and .380, and are supposedly setup for .380, so you do a minor mod for 9mm. I can do this at the range if needed.

The other thing is the supplied mag spring isn't the best, the solution that makes the most sense to me is to replace it with a G43 mag spring. I have 3 of those on order, and "we'll see". But only after seeing how well/bad the stock spring performs. Science!

There's also instructions on how to heat treat the mag with an oil quench. Not sure how effective that would be...

• Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 386 Member
    I bought one in 9mm 13 years or so ago when they were $90 bucks or so. I didn't expect much I was pleasantly suprised I tried too jam it. I put 2-300 rounds thru it the first day with all types of ammunition and never had a hiccup. So I bought one in 40 for around $120 back then used them for beater truck guns. There's a lot worse you can do for more money.