Don't laugh, but I just bought a...

13»

Replies

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,199 Senior Member
    I saw an ad for the non pimp version this weekend for 86 bucks. No thanks.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,566 Senior Member
    Johnny reb wrote: »
    There's a lot worse you can do for more money.
    Pretty much - I hope!

I need to get this one to the range and see how she does!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I saw an ad for the non pimp version this weekend for 86 bucks. No thanks.

Yea, that was Cabellas. I was mighty tempted to buy another one at that price, but decided not to as I have yet to test this one!

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,562 Senior Member
    Actually, they work. I don't know about accuracy, but for the price if you're in need of a firearm, they can't be beat for bedroom distances. Well, they can be beat, but not at that price. A lot of citizens on fixed incomes can afford to defend themselves, and that's good.

OTOH, a lot of crooks get them illegally. But that's the cost.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    A pair of 10 round magazines for it made the scene today.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,546 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Yo, sup, yo!

As long as you're still Zorba and not Z-money all is still good n' the hood.
    FIFY :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,812 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    OMG, my sides hurt.... :rotflmao:

I thought it was pretty clever marketing, not $111 clever though.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Just the thing for the Brony in your life!

I thought the "No Pew" "Pew" and "Pew Pew Pew" was the funniest thing I'd ever see for safety selections. I think "Safe Space" "Triggered" and "Full Libturd" has it beat. :rotflmao:

I ALMOST wish I had 1 less lower than I need. I think I'd be willing to pay that for it if I had an upper to for it, and the space in the safe to put it.

knitepoet wrote: »
    I thought the "No Pew" "Pew" and "Pew Pew Pew" was the funniest thing I'd ever see for safety selections. I think "Safe Space" "Triggered" and "Full Libturd" has it beat. :rotflmao:

I ALMOST wish I had 1 less lower than I need. I think I'd be willing to pay that for it if I had an upper to for it, and the safe space to put it.

FIFY :jester:

zorba wrote: »
    FIFY :jester:
    :rotflmao:

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    . . . I also have found out what needs to be done to the mags to make the gun run reliably. I'm *NOT* going to do any of them before I go to the range (Science!), but suspect I'll do the mag lip mod - the mags are for both 9mm and .380, and are supposedly setup for .380, so you do a minor mod for 9mm. I can do this at the range if needed.

The other thing is the supplied mag spring isn't the best, the solution that makes the most sense to me is to replace it with a G43 mag spring. I have 3 of those on order, and "we'll see". But only after seeing how well/bad the stock spring performs. Science!

There's also instructions on how to heat treat the mag with an oil quench. Not sure how effective that would be...

First point: Seriously? You ARE aware that the best aftermarket part to purchase for improving the reliability of a Yugo was a Toyota Corolla? Your Odyssey seems somewhat strange in that most folks actually DROVE their Yugo before coming to that conclusion. It's not a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California - are you ever going to drive this thing, or just rub it with a diaper?

Second point: Ability to hand cycle doesn't mean much. Most blowback guns are for little cartridges. Stepping up into the 9mm and up threshold, you need heavy slides and stiff springs, and it will often take a fairly concerted effort to run the slide back hard enough to get clean ejection. The little tip-barrel Beretta .22's and .25's don't even have extractors; relying entirely on backward-moving forces to clear the cases. Hi Points may be relying more on those forces than hard extractor spring tension. Also worth noting is that there has been a school of thought that sees little reason to make the ejection port large enough to easily clear an unfired cartridge - GI 1911's being in this camp. If you want to know how it's going to behave when you shoot it, SHOOT IT!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug wrote: »
    . If you want to know how it's going to behave when you shoot it, SHOOT IT!
    :win:

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,211 Senior Member
    I learned long ago that putting frosting on a turd doesn't make it a cupcake.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Bigslug wrote: »
    First point: Seriously? You ARE aware that the best aftermarket part to purchase for improving the reliability of a Yugo was a Toyota Corolla? Your Odyssey seems somewhat strange in that most folks actually DROVE their Yugo before coming to that conclusion. It's not a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California - are you ever going to drive this thing, or just rub it with a diaper?
    We actually owned a Yugo. Never had a moment's problem with it aside from cheap-ass plastic inner door handles which I replaced with Fiat equivalents in metal. Car handled very well, got good mileage, and went like a striped ape!
    Second point: Ability to hand cycle doesn't mean much. Most blowback guns are for little cartridges. Stepping up into the 9mm and up threshold, you need heavy slides and stiff springs, and it will often take a fairly concerted effort to run the slide back hard enough to get clean ejection. The little tip-barrel Beretta .22's and .25's don't even have extractors; relying entirely on backward-moving forces to clear the cases. Hi Points may be relying more on those forces than hard extractor spring tension. Also worth noting is that there has been a school of thought that sees little reason to make the ejection port large enough to easily clear an unfired cartridge - GI 1911's being in this camp. If you want to know how it's going to behave when you shoot it, SHOOT IT!

No argument here, you are completely correct. I hope to get to the range with it this week. I got a total of 3 mags for it now (and a gen-u-wine Hi-Point patch for the shootin' skirt!) - I be ready! And I'm not doing a thing to the mags until after I've shot it, it'll be bone stock in the beginning - Science!

ETA: I also have a Beretta .32 TomCat with the tip bbl and no extractor.

• shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 215 Member
    I'll bet you could shoot that thing in a gymnasium and never hit a wall!!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 215 Member
    It looks good on you though!:applause:
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    Zorba, your HiPoint made the news!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,680 Senior Member
    :rotflmao: Awesome!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Too cool, glad the clerk grabbed it away from the perp!

13»