Home Main Category Hunting

On the board for the season

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 12,240 Senior Member

Yesterday was a goofy weather day. Low 80s at 9am, then a front blew in, got really windy, and the temp started dropping. It was upper 60s by 5:pm when this cull buck wandered into the feeder. He was pretty spooky due to the 20mph wind gusts, but he finally held still long enough for me to send a Hornady 350 grain softpoint from the Henry 45-70 through the base of his spine. Bang-flop. About 2.5 years old and had a decent size body.

Back out in the blind now hoping to see more... it’s 33 degrees now, and the coyotes are singing
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Good shot and good luck. You're loaded for buffalo with that rifle.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,556 Senior Member
    That deer will taste good, we are punting since today is our last day, 4 degrees today at 6:15 am, is was going to sound like corn flakes on the frozen snow crust
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,442 Senior Member
    Congratulations
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Sweet, meat in the freezer!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Nice work and way to defeat the tough conditions. It’s crazy how those days that are bad on paper can work out so well.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,916 Senior Member
    Nice!

I’m off all next week. Hope to put 1 or 2 down. Or take a couple people hunting or so.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    :up:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,200 Senior Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,240 Senior Member
    Rest of the weekend was a bust- I could have shot a few other deer, but let them walk. I only have one buck tag left, and the does are so skittish because of how hard they are being pursued in the rut.

After getting blood on the Henry 45-70, I switched to going all handgun.

I need to trim some more brush at my blind- my shooting lanes are getting really narrow.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,521 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Rest of the weekend was a bust- I could have shot a few other deer, but let them walk. I only have one buck tag left, and the does are so skittish because of how hard they are being pursued in the rut.

After getting blood on the Henry 45-70, I switched to going all handgun.

I need to trim some more brush at my blind- my shooting lanes are getting really narrow.

Congrats on the deer and I like the switch!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21