Home Main Category General Firearms

Well, stuff happens, make the best of it!

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,801 Senior Member
bought a barrel, as advertised, in 7x57 pre threaded for a LR mauser. Ended up getting a different 7x57 going and I sold that first barrel to Snake. He just got around to having his rifle going with his gunsmith.

Low and behold, that was NOT a 7x57 barrel!! Don't know where the mix up was, but the barrel his smith has....is a 308 Winchester. Thankfully, I found another pre thread barrel and it is now on its way to Texas for Snake to get his 7x57 rolling.

Instead of having the smith mail me back my barrel and then trying to sell it.... I'm sending a Yugo mauser to Texas to get is bolt bent, drilled and taped, and turned into a 308 Winchester!

This delays my 338-06 a few weeks, I'll still be dropping off the 404 shortly. But, what the heck, why not a 308? I already have a semi inlet stock. Might set it up for my dad, or possibly my cousins wife. We had been talking about buying or building her a rifle that's all hers instead of me downloading his 30-06 And him having to resight the gun when he takes it back for hunting.

Not planned, but hey, newly refreshed gun in bound!
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,394 Senior Member
    When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! Cool recovery!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,648 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! Cool recovery!

Just make sure you have some sugar and water on hand
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,394 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Just make sure you have some sugar and water on hand

It looks like he did in this case.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,648 Senior Member
    Most certainly did, even with the mistake it all worked out for everyone
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,780 Senior Member
    You’re a role model!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    bellcat wrote: »
    You’re a role model!

You didn't specify a GOOD role model so yes, that's accurate
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Dan, you're a stand up guy. I think we were all surprised that it was a .308 barrel. But alls good. And I hope your family loves the rifle. I already have a 308 I can use when needed and I have three more .30 calibers or I would have been mildly interested in a .308 on a Yugo. It should be a great combo. Besides you have me more than mildly interested in a 7x57.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    Well, someday, my ultra light 308 will be finished...so I need to buy dies anyways. I've got a decent amount of brass from my previous 308, and between that, 4 30-06, 3 300 Weatherby's, and at least 1 future 308, I'm flush with 308 bullets lol.

Wait, scratch that. Just remembered I bought some Forster dies from a member over on AR a few weeks ago haha.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Well, someday, my ultra light 308 will be finished...so I need to buy dies anyways. I've got a decent amount of brass from my previous 308, and between that, 4 30-06, 3 300 Weatherby's, and at least 1 future 308, I'm flush with 308 bullets lol.

Wait, scratch that. Just remembered I bought some Forster dies from a member over on AR a few weeks ago haha.

Some day I may get me another .308. The one I have now belongs to my ex. But she'll let me use it anytime I want, except of course when she's using it. It's an Academy ADL Synthetic I bought her a few years back. But don't let cheap mislead you, that thing is seriously accurate with my hand loads.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.