Home Main Category Hunting

It Seems To Happen Every Season

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,933 Senior Member
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hunter-shoots-kills-woman-after-mistaking-her-for-a-deer-officials-say/ar-BBFBvP4?li=BBnbfcL

Very tragic and very avoidable. I accompanied my Father deer hunting at the age of 5. Of course I was only a rock hunter at that age. My Father taught me that you do not put a finger on the trigger without being absolutely sure of your target and what is behind your target. I bought a Daisy Cub BB gun when I was 8 years old for $1.75. The clerk appropriately asked if it was OK with my parents? I told him they were in the store and I could go get them. He said no. I trust you. Since the "small fortune" in my pocket was two $1 bills I was able to buy five 250 round tubes of BBs. Of course this was 1960. I was fully aware that if I violated any of the BB gun rules it would end up in pieces in the garbage can. For my 12th Birthday I received a Remington 512 bolt action/tube magazine short/long/long rifle .22 rifle. I could throw the rifle across my bicycle handlebars and with it unloaded with bolt open ride through the center intersection of my small town. Go past the elementary school and stop at a corner grocery/general store. I could buy two 50 round boxes of .22 short for $1. I was only target shooting. The 10 cents extra per box (20 cents total) for long rifle would buy an ice cold 12 ounce Coca-Cola and 2 full size candy bars. Supplemental provisions for the sandwich and water my Mother had packed. I completed the NRA Hunter Safety Course when I was 13 years old. It was actually a refresher course of what my parents had already taught me. I have passed several times on hunting shots when not absolutely sure of my target.

Replies