Home Main Category General Firearms

Is It Wise Changing CCWs Often?

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
I go from my Kahr CW-9, to my XD-S to my XD Mod 2, to my RIA Subcompact and back and forth quite regularly. I can't quite settle down to one platform. I don't believe I'd have trouble with mixing up my operation coz as soon as my palm hits the grip, I know what I'm holding. With the exception of the cocked and locked feature to the 1911, the controls are virtually identical.

I just can't decide on one over all the others.
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Years ago we had a member here, can't recall his name. He was kind of a gun smith, real big on packing 1911's. He told a story of his good friend switching from a 1911 to a Glock. Walked into trouble one night with his wife. Drew the Glock and got shot dead trying to snick off a safety that wasn't there. Guy was sort of grumpy, but not the kind to make stuff up.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,645 Senior Member
    I personally do not have a problem. With shorts and flipflops my P3AT is in my pocket. Jeans and a t-shirt is my Shield or Glock 43 carried in the same place.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Being that we have our own range, I have the opportunity to shoot frequently and I do so I have a fair amount of trigger time with the guns that I carry most frequently and the only issue I could have is when I'm working outside at the ranch and I'm carrying my stainless .44 bulldog pug. Around the ranch I carry shotshells for the first two rounds and the next three are bullets and if I have to run into town for something, I usually leave it that way and if I ever have need of it, the first two shots will be kinda ineffective.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,702 Senior Member
    For EDC I switch back and forth between my Glock 19, my Glock 19, and on very VERY rare occasions my M&P Shield. I've considered switching to the new M&P 2.0 Compact, but I couldn't sell my G19 for what I have in it. These are all striker fired guns with no safeties. I know me, and I want to eliminate as many variables as possible in regards to a potential fight-for-my-life situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Troy800Troy800 New Member Posts: 25 New Member
    I switch EDC but they all have similar controls and triggers. When you get into a high stress situation and the adrenaline is flowing you will not think about your gun or controls you will resort to your training. How do you train? Carry the EDC you train regularly with.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    see correction below
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    I train with them all and I never forget which one I'm carrying. My preference still centers around the 1911 style, with the XD-S being a close second. But I couldn't for the life of me, imagine gripping a Glock, and mistaking it for a 1911 no matter how stressful the situation was! It simply could not happen to someone intimately familiar with either gun. If the guy was "shot dead" I'd have to wonder how it became known that he died trying to actuate a safety that wasn't there? Did he live long enough to tell someone? I'm not buying it.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    I train with them all and I never forget which one I'm carrying. My preference still centers around the 1911 style, with the XD-S being a close second. But I couldn't for the life of me, imagine gripping a Glock, and mistaking it for a 1911 no matter how stressful the situation was! It simply could not happen to someone intimately familiar with either gun. If the guy was "shot dead" I'd have to wonder how it became known that he died trying to actuate a safety that wasn't there? Did he live long enough to tell someone? I'm not buying it.

I think I did not write my answer correctly, I meant [To just answer the question------ for you it is perfectly a proper procedure ----Dan]
    Sorry for the confusion.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 421 Member
    I carry a Sig 229 daily, but will switch to my Glock 33 and Kimber 1911. As long as you practice with what you carry and are comfortable with it, I don't have an issue with it. There are many reasons to change ccw pistols, and just as many reasons not to.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I switch from a shield 9mm to a shield .45. Never notice a difference.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    I usually carry a Glock or H&K with similar controls. On a rare occasion, a 1911 or revolver.

No troubles so far.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    TO ME 95% of the time I carry some flavor of 1911 (mostly a SA EMP now) but will throw a G19 or a Sig P239 for semi-autos or S&W 649 for revolver. I have had years with them all and feel comfortable with but first few rounds out of the Glock are slightly high with the grip angle difference. The first found DA out of the P239 can be jerked low left. The S&W 649 for some reason is like an old friend and with a Tyler T-Grip and is spot on for snub-nose distances. I think me going from a 1911 thumb safety to another hand with no safety is easier than someone going from say a no safety G19 to a handgun with a safety but I still prefer my EDC to be one a a similar platform with the same type operation.

Sidenote ...the safety issue I guess is one reason I am now a big M9 fan with its flip up safety.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

I could be wrong in my assessment. It sure seems an odd story to make up though. I think it was related by Nighthawk, but I can't be sure. Guy was so serious and grumpy all the time it's hard to for me to imagine intentional dishonesty.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    I could be wrong in my assessment. It sure seems an odd story to make up though. I think it was related by Nighthawk, but I can't be sure. Guy was so serious and grumpy all the time it's hard to for me to imagine intentional dishonesty.
    He was also right regardless of the facts, so....

I think some folks "find" stories to support their preconceived ideas. On the flip side, I've heard of folks getting shot when the BG heard them flick off the safety. No actual proof is given, but it's usually a story propagated by Glock fans....

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    Overkill is underrated.
    Dan, because I'm a nice guy, I'll let you ship me the 1911 so your decision tree is lessened.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    Overkill is underrated.
    The more I think about it, being right no matter what does seem to ring a bell.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    early wrote: »

Yep. I'm pretty sure that's accurate,
    As soon as you related the story, Nighthawk popped into my head.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,146 Senior Member
    Some systems are more obviously compatible than others. Some require "wiring" the compatibility into your brain.

I've taken to running "high thumbs" with autos - a technique that originated largely with Glocks. Makes for an easy transition to 1911's because, Glock or 1911, your thumb ends up on top of the safety. Those are my two primary autos, and that bit of brain wiring makes for few complications going between them. It translates poorly to Sigs - at least if you want the slide to lock back when the mag runs dry.

I've been running a lot of DA revolvers over the last few years, which produced an epiphany that helped the overall shooting a lot - if you constantly correct the sight picture as you press, it doesn't matter so much if the trigger breaks at two pounds or twelve. I don't LIKE DA/SA autoloaders, but that technique makes them a lot easier to deal with when I'm unfortunate enough to have to shoot one. It's no substitute for training a lot with one of the 's, but it enables me to fake it better than most.

In the case of slide-mounted, decocker-equipped DA's of the Down-to-Safe variety, I would operate by decocking and immediately un-safing the gun for carry, counting on the heavy trigger as the sole safety device. The location and direction of such safeties is ergonomically stupid anyway - better to put them in the position of urgency before it actually becomes urgent.

Such is my system - think about how your brain is likely to travel under stress, and then pave the path in such a way that it's less likely to trip.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    NN wrote: »
    I think I did not write my answer correctly, I meant [To just answer the question------ for you it is perfectly a proper procedure ----Dan]
    Sorry for the confusion.

NN, I knew what you meant and thank you. I was actually responding to the answer above yours, from Troy.

Best

Dan
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I carry a J frame revolver these days most of the time, and seldom switch. I worked with a Makarov so long I remember to take the safety off when I draw with my right thumb in my sleep, but I seldom carry it now. If I switch off from the J frame it is to a striker fired Glock 19 / 22 / 23 / 20, and it is nearly impossible to mess up pointing a Glock and pulling the trigger.

I think if you train with various guns it is not a problem. Having said that, if the situation arises to use you EDC, it should be as quick and simple as possible to draw bear and fire. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I thought it was, Snot is slick...slick is fast.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,647 Senior Member
    Not in my book, specially if we're talking about switching between different systems like DAOs, revolvers, DA/SAs, etc.

I recall a local police shooting match in which a bunch of us civilians were asked to be R.Os so no rank privileges would be enforced. One of the stages we designed was using a revolver, a handgun still issued as sidearm for many agents, and at least a couple of them that were members of S.Os. squads (All used to carry Beretta 92F pistols but sometime in their careers they did use revolvers) tried to rack the slides of the revolver or even dropped the cylinders while trying to "disengage the safety".
    You never know what you can end up doing under pressure.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    Striker fire with no safety exclusively for me. I am a firm believer of not having to worry about a safety in what would likely be the most stressful second of one's life.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Much like Bigslug, the grip that I use on ALL my carry guns, puts my thumbs in position to deactivate the safety on the ones that have them. In all fairness though, it isn't very often that I carry a 1911 anymore. For the most part, when I'm not allowed to carry a gun, it's going to be a Glock 43, at all other times it's a Beretta Brigadier Tactical.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,702 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Beretta? Drinking the bong water again?

I don't know who he even is anymore.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    I've changed my mind about this over the last few years and decided I'd rather go with a consistent trigger pull. Of the carry guns I rotate through regularly, I like the trigger on my XD MOD 2 best, so that's what I have taken to carrying all the time. It helps that it's a sub-compact, so it's smaller than all of my other choices anyway, while not giving away anything significant in terms of capacity.

I plan to add a full-size XD to the mix in 2018.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,855 Senior Member

He may have lived long enough to write his memoirs before he died.....
    He was also right regardless of the facts, so....

I think some folks "find" stories to support their preconceived ideas. On the flip side, I've heard of folks getting shot when the BG heard them flick off the safety. No actual proof is given, but it's usually a story propagated by Glock fans....

I hear a lot of B.S. stories like that at IDPA shoots. Some are very entertaining, some would even be instructive if they weren't so full of it.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    I finally settled on two striker fired subcompacts (XDs.45 and 9mm Shield) and one full sized striker fired (XD45 compact), all with no lever type safety. They all operate the same and I can use the same grip on them all.
    Personally, I think that carrying in the same place is more crucial than the mechanics of the handgun. No personal data, but just some anecdotal evidence I've read. So it could be confirmation bias.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I also think this gets back to your circumstances, and normal threats.

Threats are not predictable, and so being prepared is critical. Having said this my normal run to the grocery store or ATM doesn't require a 15 rnd magazine semi auto to defend myself. If I am working on circuits or computers in a bad area, I might change up. I don't think I will ever be the savior in a gun fight or public "incident", but I do believe I need to defend my personal safety, up close. Small concealable guns that are easily brought to bear fit the bill, and changing them is not really an issue if they work the same. IMHO.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester: