Golfer in Chief

13»

Replies

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,775 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I'm not going to research that, I'll take your word for it but what about the Dow?
    If you're not willing to put in any effort why should I? But the Dow and S&P tend to follow roughly the same treds. The Dow is just 30 really big companies while the S&P is 500 companies of various sizes. It's a broader representation of the economy at large.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,190 Senior Member
    The S&P went up 175% in 8 years under Obama. That's a better record than Reagan and only behind Clinton as the best performance in my lifetime. For the record GW Bush was -40%. Maybe Trump can maintain his current success over the next 8 years and match the great performance Obama and Clinton gave us. My retirement portfolio hopes he can!

Since you love charts and graphs...
    http://www.macrotrends.net/2482/sp500-performance-by-president

I am no expert on the stock market, but I do know that "investor confidence" and "economic policy" have something to do with it. My attached graph shows that the years from JFK/LBJ to Obama the stock market has had some downs, but in general has risen in value despite what president was in office at the time. It will be interesting at such time when the chart will show Trump's influence on the markets.

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,775 Senior Member
    I am no expert on the stock market, but I do know that "investor confidence" and "economic policy" have something to do with it. My attached graph shows that the years from JFK/LBJ to Obama the stock market has had some downs, but in general has risen in value despite what president was in office at the time. It will be interesting at such time when the chart will show Trump's influence on the markets.

Pretty much my point. People just tend to give credit to notice more or give credit when it's a president they like. It works both ways. Talk to plenty of liberals and they sound like conservatives have the past 8 years wrt the economy even though objectively it has stayed roughly on the same track.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,190 Senior Member
    Pretty much my point. People just tend to give credit to notice more or give credit when it's a president they like. It works both ways. Talk to plenty of liberals and they sound like conservatives have the past 8 years wrt the economy even though objectively it has stayed roughly on the same track.

That is true, but the president and congress in tandem can influence the GDP, housing, unemployment etc., which is also very important.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!