Home Main Category General Firearms

Just ordered a new scope, On sale until midnight tonight.

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 20,861 Senior Member
I have 2 or 3 other Nikon scopes, and have 1 "trashco" scope that currently resides on the Ruger 77 that's due a rebarrel and I have the International stock for.

Got an email for this 3-9x40mm SF DBC and decided to pull the trigger on it before the sale ended.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0012516337/nikon-special-3-9x40mm-bdc-riflescope-matte-finish

Thoughts on the Nikon Special??

I will tell you, not a huge fan of their BDC reticle (Scope on wife's 308 has it), but for the price, I can deal with it.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Good deal.........I likes me a sale too :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,861 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Good deal.........I likes me a sale too :guns: :guns:
    Well, need one scope for current project, and honestly could have, and possibly should have bought a second for the upcoming 300BO project. But one was all I could risk without incurring the wrath of S.W.M.B.O (or as Orchidman calls her T.K.O.T.C.B.)
    Kind of hard to hide credit card purchases from the one that pays the CC bill

Tennmike, Bream and Wambli can all vouch for the fact my wife can be a formidable woman (Though none of them have ever seen her mad)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,236 Senior Member
    Not familiar with the Nikon "Special" - but I have not owned a Nikon that I didn't like....will be interested in hearing how it turns out for you.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,703 Senior Member
    Now that they are pushing the Pro-Staff name as a higher end optic, I assume the Special fills the entry model void that used to be the purvey of the original Pro Staff. I'm sure it's a solid choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I have 2 or 3 other Nikon scopes, and have 1 "trashco" scope that currently resides on the Ruger 77 that's due a rebarrel and I have the International stock for.

Got an email for this 3-9x40mm SF DBC and decided to pull the trigger on it before the sale ended.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0012516337/nikon-special-3-9x40mm-bdc-riflescope-matte-finish

I will tell you, not a huge fan of their BDC reticle (Scope on wife's 308 has it), but for the price, I can deal with it.
    What did you pay? I carry those for around 100.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    But one was all I could risk without incurring the wrath of S.W.M.B.O (or as Orchidman calls her T.K.O.T.C.B.)
    Kind of hard to hide credit card purchases from the one that pays the CC bill

You are doing it all wrong.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    FFLshooter wrote: »
    What did you pay? I carry those for around 100.
    The link showed what I paid $99.99, but I see it just says "not available" now.

It arrived today and I am trying to decide if it will be going back Monday, or not...
    The description still PLAINLY states
    The Special 3-9x40mm BDC Riflescope Reticle with side focus parallax adjustment...
    which it DOES NOT HAVE :nono:
    It's a basic fixed focus

I was out of town at a family function all day today, so I'm going to wait until later today (nearly 0100 here) before I decide what I'm going to do with it

That Bushnell AR Optics "Drop Zone" 4.5-18 BDC scope I ordered is having a heck of a time getting here. First delayed after it was picked up by UPS between hubs and then it said it was on the way and would be delivered Friday, then said another delay and said it was actually on the truck "Out for delivery"..... yesterday (Sat....must be on X-mas deliver on weekends again fer UPS) by 8pm.....nope...........so now it says by Tuesday ??????

Usually UPS is right on the money here.

Probably show up Monday, I'm thunking.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    I just saw those Nikon 3x9x40's on sale at one of the Big Name stores for $99.00 + free shipping. I forget which one had them.
    They have a collection spot in my town, not a hub. Maybe that is where it is at??? Last year some gal in a buggy with a little trailer was driving around delivering packages around X-mas time. But a kind couple bought a package to my house that fell off that trailer they found on the side of the road a coupe blocks from here!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member

The last couple Nikon's I've bought had Nikoplex Reticles. I have two with the BDC and not crazy about them either. However, they work. But the cross hairs are a little thick for my liking.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,780 Senior Member
    Definitely worth a try....let us know. I've had success with several Nikon scopes.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    Maybe my Bushnell AR scope will show up today.says 'Out for delivery' on their website (UPS), again today.

I'm here to tell you Knite, I agree with you, you gotta strike while the iron is hot on them eblast deals or you will lose out. Prices are all over the map too, from site to site.

For example today:

Bushnell 4.5-18 AR Drop Zone/BDC scope like the one I ordered

Amazon $119.99
    Midway $199 for a .308 BDC and the .223 was $209, now outta stock. They had a box to click on either before.
    Optics Planet $209.49
    Walmart $119.98
    BH Photo $179.95
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    It arrived today and I am trying to decide if it will be going back Monday, or not...
    The description still PLAINLY states which it DOES NOT HAVE :nono:
    It's a basic fixed focus

I was out of town at a family function all day today, so I'm going to wait until later today (nearly 0100 here) before I decide what I'm going to do with it
    So... you made a decision on it?

Also: have most of the posters who posted after this noticed you paid for the scope, it was delivered, and it didn't have a feature the ad said it had?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    I'm a Nikon fan and I love the side focus on the two of the five Nikons that I own. Leupolds are great scopes, but the optics are not better, and they cost more.