Home Main Category General Firearms

6.5 Creedmoor, Round 2

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,702 Senior Member
Or, in other words, on tonight's episode of "SS3 Goes Off the Deep End:"

Some of you may recall that earlier this year I bought a Savage 10 Ashbury Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor and topped it with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. While this set up proved to shoot well, I hated the ergonomics of the chassis and also felt that for the price Savage went way too cheap in a few areas. As such, I sold the set up for a modest profit and stepped away for awhile.

However, the itch didn't go away. Here we go again.

I was fairly dead set on a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM, but then, all of a sudden, I saw it:

The Tikka T3x CTR (http://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-compact-tactical-rifle)

At first, I kind of blew this rifle off. Proprietary magazines, nothing special synthetic stock, and less accessory availability all we detractors. However, I kept reading and every report I found was absolutely glowing. Finally, I caved and checked one out. It was love at first trigger squeeze.

I don't think I've ever felt such a fine trigger on a production factory rifle. When you couple that with the glass smooth bolt, it seals the deal.

So, I've got a 20" stainless steel model on order with the LGS, and it will most likely remain on layaway until I finish some training after New Years. According to Hornady's ballistic calculator, the 20" tube should still be enough to launch a 140gr ELD at 2600 FPS and keep it supersonic to 1200yds, including 9.9 mil drop at 1000 (the sub-tensions on the scope I have go down to 10 mil)

My plan is to add a 20 MOA Picatinny scope base, and top it with a Vortex Razor HD 5-20 (gen 1) that I have sitting in my safe waiting for a rifle. It will also get a SilencerCo muzzle brake on the off chance that the BATFEIEIO ever approves my can. Any further modifications will be further down the line but I foresee it ending up in a B&C stock with AICS bottom metal.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,048 Senior Member
    Its official, :yousuck:

You are going to love that rifle. All my Tikka's shoot 'lights out' when I do my bit.

I think my next purchase will be one of these http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-tac-a1 ..............in 6.5 Creedmore with a 24" tube

Just because...............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    One of these days you people are going to make me cave and check out a Tikka rifle.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Bought my first Tikka T3 in 2003...5 since then. All fabulous shooters with great triggers.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    Significant upgrade from the Savage!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,702 Senior Member
    Thanks folks, I'm pretty excited about the gun. After handling it I'm 100% certain it's a major upgrade over the Savage. Quality of construction on the sample I looked at was stellar, and did I mention the trigger? The Accu-Trigger is absolutely crap-tastic in comparison.

The synthetic stock lacks any sort of bedding, but nonetheless the model seems to be universally raved about on several LR forums. Besides, upgrades can be done later. It's possible to have champagne taste on a beer budget if you aren't swilling Miller Lite every night.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    I’d bet a few bucks that you’re going to love that gun. Now you know why many of us Tikka owners sing the praises of that trigger. You also know why inown three Tikka T3 rifles. In that platform, you should be smoking targets nicely.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    One of these days you people are going to make me cave and check out a Tikka rifle.

You need to hurry up and cave sooner rather than later. You’re seriously missing out.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,645 Senior Member
    I think you will be very happy with your choice. Guy I work with has one and raves about it all the time.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    You need to hurry up and cave sooner rather than later. You’re seriously missing out.

Well Christmas is coming up. Make a believer out of me bald Santa.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    Well Christmas is coming up. Make a believer out of me bald Santa.

His are all broken.... the bolt handle's on the wrong side
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »

^^Dat right ‘der
    knitepoet wrote: »

I am left eye dominant. I will train that hand run a trigger.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,068 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Its official, :yousuck:

You are going to love that rifle. All my Tikka's shoot 'lights out' when I do my bit.

I think my next purchase will be one of these http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-tac-a1 ..............in 6.5 Creedmore with a 24" tube

Just because...............

That's the one Alex
    I took My 11 round Sako Deluxe to the H/Fishing shop to trade on one as they were advertising them as if they had them, though in 260 for me, however none in the country and none till next year I'm told.
    Any of those worked over Tikka's such as this and the T3x CTR that your talking about shotgunshooter3 should perform with excellence.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Y'all need to get the mods to rename this thread. It's not about the 6.5 Creedmore, its about the Tikka Rifle. Could be a .30 Win. for all this matters.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,048 Senior Member
    ojr wrote: »
    That's the one Alex
    I took My 11 round Sako Deluxe to the H/Fishing shop to trade on one as they were advertising them as if they had them, though in 260 for me, however none in the country and none till next year I'm told.
    Any of those worked over Tikka's such as this and the T3x CTR that your talking about shotgunshooter3 should perform with excellence.

Damn it Owen, now I have to find something else to surprise myself with at Christmas. :tooth:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 215 Member
    Sounds like a great set-up!! Enjoy it!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man