Medical Marijuana, Federal Law, and Gun Registration

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,383 Senior Member
It can all lead to some nasty effects...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article187082303.html

So Hawaii requires you to register your guns and your medial marijuana use. Feds still outlaw pot, and per the ATF the medical use of pot will disqualify you from owning firearms.

I believe some posters here cautioned about this possible situation....
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,755 Senior Member

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article187082303.html

So Hawaii requires you to register your guns and your medial marijuana use. Feds still outlaw pot, and per the ATF the medical use of pot will disqualify you from owning firearms.

Hawaii is Western Commiefornia. What do you expect?
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Well, if a person truly needs medical marijuana this is kinda hypocritical ... the state issues the “medical” permit saying you can thumb your nose at one Federal law and the state doesn’t care but when it comes to the state’s liberal gun grabbers they turn around and use another Federal law to squash gun ownership. I am speaking as to those who truly have a need for using pot ... not the stoners who use so me pencil whipped card by a “doctor” who prescribes it because of millennial flu which I tend to think is the larger portion. Just like alcohol firearms and pot do not mix but a person on chemo who smokes after a treatment should not penalized by having their firearms taken ... thy don’t do it for other narcotic drugs prescribed by a true physician.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 10,036 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    thy don’t do it for other narcotic drugs prescribed by a true physician.

Because 'War on (some) Drugs!!"
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,956 Senior Member

Yeah it's a bit of a bind. Ultimately the feds need to fix this. Medical marijuana is now legal in 29 states, it's recreationally legal in 8 stated plus DC. This needs to be settled. This is a fairly obvious case where the feds need to butt out and let states decide. If anyone is ever prosecuted you can bet the supreme Court will have their say and it will be an interesting case for sure with both the NRA and pro pot people on board the defense.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,383 Senior Member
    Just throwing this out there but....

How many times have you heard of someone stoned on pot getting mad and shooting someone?
    How many times have you heard of someone drunk on alcohol getting mad and shooting someone?
    Overkill is underrated.
    Yeah it's a bit of a bind. Ultimately the feds need to fix this. Medical marijuana is now legal in 29 states, it's recreationally legal in 8 stated plus DC. This needs to be settled. This is a fairly obvious case where the feds need to butt out and let states decide. If anyone is ever prosecuted you can bet the supreme Court will have their say and it will be an interesting case for sure with both the NRA and pro pot people on board the defense.
    I do think that NCFUBAR's idea about state antigun politics coming into play....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,454 Senior Member
    Thing is, even folks who live in states where it's legal, can and have lost their jobs for failing a drug test for marijuana.

The "but it's legal where I live" argument holds NO water. Ask anyone who is required, under federal laws to pass a drug test.

CDL drivers and commercial pilots are the first 2 that come to mind.

Also saw a few folks fired from offshore jobs for "peeing dirty" even though they lived in states where it was legal for them to have smoked it while on their off-time
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Thing is, even folks who live in states where it's legal, can and have lost their jobs for failing a drug test for marijuana.

The "but it's legal where I live" argument holds NO water. Ask anyone who is required, under federal laws to pass a drug test.

Also saw a few folks fired from offshore jobs for "peeing dirty" even though they lived in states where it was legal for them to have smoked it while on their off-time

The CDL is a good example. A friend had a great job with the Air Force doing range support and he needed a CDL because he drove big trucks occasionally to move tanks and equipment around. A couple of years ago he got pulled over for speeding on the way home from a wedding with beer on his breath, the officer had him blow and he blew a .05. In Florida the legal limit is .08 unless you have a CDL, then it's .04 even if you're not working or driving a truck. If you possess a CDL, your alcohol limit is .04 no mater what you're doing. He lost a good job that he had for quite a few years.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,376 Senior Member

Yep....saw this coming after CO legalized recreational weed....a true case of unintended consequences.

It's amazing that the Feds claim there is a huge problem with opiate abuse yet refuse to allow folks to use a fairly innocuous substance that would allow many to eliminate opiates from their prescription regimen....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,454 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Yep....saw this coming after CO legalized recreational weed....a true case of unintended consequences.

It's amazing that the Feds claim there is a huge problem with opiate abuse yet refuse to allow folks to use a fairly innocuous substance that would allow many to eliminate opiates from their prescription regimen....
    Your fellow moderator NAILED it
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Because 'War on (some) Drugs!!"
    :win:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member

How many times have you heard of someone stoned on pot getting mad and shooting someone?
    How many times have you heard of someone drunk on alcohol getting mad and shooting someone?

Both happen often in places like Chicago, Detroit, Oakland, etc as well as cities here in NC ... BUT those who truly are using medicinal marijuana I’d guess about the same rate as CHP holders doing the same.

I have no real numbers to back this up but I don’t think that the majority of the users with a truly valid need for marijuana would be near the risk ... its the ones who abuse the system and screw things up for others that need it.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,365 Senior Member
    You can add in nuclear plant workers, and power plant workers in general, to that 'if you pop a positive backed up by secondary lab confirmation, then you're fired' list. And that would be for drug AND alcohol use while on the job. There are a lot of jobs out there that necessarily require a person to be stone cold sober while on the job. Being under the influence of drugs/alcohol and working dangerous jobs endangers the person and others. I wouldn't get an all warm and fuzzy feeling working setting explosive charges with someone tuned up on either drugs or alcohol.

Now that being said, if an individual uses marijuana or alcohol recreationally, and owns firearms, then the same rules should apply. Firearms and marijuana/alcohol should remain mutually exclusive in that they should not be mixed. Don't handle firearms while drinking/smoking. That's just common sense, something that is sorely lacking in society.

And for the true medical uses of marijuana and marijuana oil for relief from chemo and other medical procedures, the person should not incur ANY negative attention from the States or the Feds. And if the States or Feds do interfere, then they need to be forced to suck start a Mossberg 500 or Rem. 870 loaded with 00 buckshot.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Both happen often in places like Chicago, Detroit, Oakland, etc as well as cities here in NC ... BUT those who truly are using medicinal marijuana I’d guess about the same rate as CHP holders doing the same.

I have no real numbers to back this up but I don’t think that the majority of the users with a truly valid need for marijuana would be near the risk ... its the ones who abuse the system and screw things up for others that need it.

Was it straight pot or pot with something else? Just wondering.

I'm more inclined to worry about opioids over pot.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,053 Senior Member
    Well, they did give them 30 days before they bust down the door.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,053 Senior Member
    It is right on the form
    if ya answer yes, they cannot sell you a gun.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »
    It is right on the form
    if ya answer yes, they cannot sell you a gun.
    But.... it's medicinal!

Overkill is underrated.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,685 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    The CDL is a good example. A friend had a great job with the Air Force doing range support and he needed a CDL because he drove big trucks occasionally to move tanks and equipment around. A couple of years ago he got pulled over for speeding on the way home from a wedding with beer on his breath, the officer had him blow and he blew a .05. In Florida the legal limit is .08 unless you have a CDL, then it's .04 even if you're not working or driving a truck. If you possess a CDL, your alcohol limit is .04 no mater what you're doing. He lost a good job that he had for quite a few years.

I think that non commercial rule is a bunch of crap but I take it as no alcohol while driving. So he knew the rules but pushed the .004 limit which is pretty much nothing. That drink with dinner is just not worth it if I'm driving.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,685 Senior Member
    But.... it's medicinal!

And federal law says it's illegal.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    But.... it's medicinal!

I've always found it interesting that they mention marijuana on the 4473 and don't inquire whether you spend the majority of your life gorked out of your skull on opiates...
    I've always found it interesting that they mention marijuana on the 4473 and don't inquire whether you spend the majority of your life gorked out of your skull on opiates...
    ....which are probably more common.

I had oxy- and hydrocodone prescribed when I ruptured my Achilles. Not a fan of what they did to me, and I discontinued their use quickly.

Didn't carry when I used them. Made me real fuzzy headed.

The fact that they're so commonly used concerns me.

Overkill is underrated.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,767 Senior Member
    So, just thinking out loud with my conspiracy theory persona..............

The Libs cant ban guns.............but they can legalise pot..........and when people use it, owners of guns can be banned from owning and their guns confiscated...........

Taking it one step further, the next generation will embrace legalised pot, which will lead to a drastic reduction in firearms ownership, putting gun owners firmly into the minority category with regards to the population. It will make it easier then to ban all private ownership of guns...........wait.........yep, I can hear helicopters overhead.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Hawaii ... Paradise Lost
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member

Alcohol too, when I was in the military in the seventies and eighties, they were cracking down on the residual drug use from Vietnam but the fact that most of the senior NCO's were hardcore alcoholics was insignificant.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,755 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Alcohol too, when I was in the military in the seventies and eighties, they were cracking down on the residual drug use from Vietnam but the fact that most of the senior NCO's were hardcore alcoholics was insignificant.
    I can confirm that 100%.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member

About 4 weeks ago. Local story. It doesnt fit the agenda so I am sure it didnt leave the area.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »

Not so much law as it is insurance. Legal or not, you are economically unemployable and a danger to your coworkers. For a habitual user it can take weeks for pot to clear the system. Booze is 1 oz/hr.

Its real simple. Your company says they will keep paying you if you show up clean and sober and put in a days work. You choose to not do any of those things, then you have exactly zero room to whine when they show you the door. Bu bye.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,034 Senior Member

How many times have you heard of a pot user going on to Crack & Heroin? I watched jail house interviews about drug use with imprisoned addicts on some documentary, almost 100% said they started with pot use and moved on to hard drugs.
    How many times have you heard of a pot user going on to Crack & Heroin? I watched jail house interviews about drug use with imprisoned addicts on some documentary, almost 100% said they started with pot use and moved on to hard drugs.

Of course they did....people with addictive personalities tend to do that....always looking for a new, better high....it's not the weed so much as how they are wired to begin with...

On the other hand, I know several folks with chronic pain issues who have successfully used cannabis to get off prescription opiates.....
    And I know a few pot users who do just that. Use pot and have no real desire for anything. Heck, some of the folks I know who went from pot to hard drugs started with tobacco. Not disagreeing that hard drug users don't start on pot or something else - I know that's true. But I also know some potheads who don't do anything harder. Correlation doesn't not causation. It's kinda like someone once told me: pot doesn't make you lazy. Some people just smoke pot because they're lazy.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,034 Senior Member
    This is true Bream, I know a few pot users who shouldn't be near a gun. They shouldn't drive either....but they do. One of them (I know for sure) smokes whacky-tobacky while on his deer stand. I saw him do it. He also partook of the wildwood weed when duck hunting. That was when I quit hunting around him.