Medical Marijuana, Federal Law, and Gun Registration

2»

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    This is true Bream, I know a few pot users who shouldn't be near a gun. They shouldn't drive either....but they do. One of them (I know for sure) smokes whacky-tobacky while on his deer stand. I saw him do it. He also partook of the wildwood weed when duck hunting. That was when I quit hunting around him.
    And I know a few barely functional drunks who have who hunt. Another few who have CDLs.

I steer weeeeeeeeeelllllllll clear of them. Problem ain't with the substance, IMHO, but with the individual abusing it.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    Overkill is underrated.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    .22 LR was a gateway rifle caliber for me. I went all the way to .458 Winchester Magnum. it was a very expensive habit to support. Then I rehabilitated myself, and am now only an occasional, social user of .308 and smaller centerfire calibers. I can quit anytime .... right.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,928 Senior Member
    It's kinda like someone once told me: pot doesn't make you lazy. Some people just smoke pot because they're lazy.

You are not smoking enough or you are smoking ditch weed
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,922 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    So, just thinking out loud with my conspiracy theory persona..............

The Libs cant ban guns.............but they can legalise pot..........and when people use it, owners of guns can be banned from owning and their guns confiscated...........

Taking it one step further, the next generation will embrace legalised pot, which will lead to a drastic reduction in firearms ownership, putting gun owners firmly into the minority category with regards to the population. It will make it easier then to ban all private ownership of guns...........wait.........yep, I can hear helicopters overhead.

My tin foil hat's on. That sounds exactly like their idea. Sadly I know a lot more kids around town that were brought up around pot than they were guns. They are all ready using pot so I'm sure down the road they will vote to save pot over the 2nd amendment.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,729 Senior Member
    Washington state has instructed industry to discontinue drug testing for some industrial accidents. The idea is to get people to self report minor injuries without the threat of UA. We can still test at hiring or if we think the person is impaired. My company has never random tested. This has always puzzled me because my factory has BIG machines with fast moving parts, high temp ovens, toxic chemicals, and lots of forklift traffic.

Pot should be completely legal, but private businesses should be able to test anyone at anytime.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    .22 LR was a gateway rifle caliber for me. I went all the way to .458 Winchester Magnum. it was a very expensive habit to support. Then I rehabilitated myself, and am now only an occasional, social user of .308 and smaller centerfire calibers. I can quit anytime .... right.

https://www.endoapparel.com/22lr-is-a-gateway-drug-shirt/

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Another case of people not agreeing with the law and complaining about it. Marijuana is a schedule 1 drug Federally, and listed by the DEA as follows on their website:
    Schedule I

Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:

heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote

While 29 of the States have authorized it for Medical use, and 8 for recreational use, it hasn't been reclassified Federally. The law is the law. I don't like speeding laws or the tax law but I have to follow them.

It seems to me, with 29 states legalizing it for medical use, the least they can do is influence the DEA to change it to a schedule two, three or four drug. Personally, I think it is a schedule four drug, which is defined as follows:
    Schedule IV

Schedule IV drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with a low potential for abuse and low risk of dependence. Some examples of Schedule IV drugs are:

Xanax, Soma, Darvon, Darvocet, Valium, Ativan, Talwin, Ambien, Tramadol

Xanax has a far greater potential for abuse, and overdose than marijuana.

The Libertarian in me says legalize everything, tax the heck out of it and let Darwin take care of the abusers, and plow the rest of the taxes into education, prevention and treatment. Laws against usage of anything have worked so well, in the past.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,729 Senior Member
    The feds and their arbitrary schedules, types, and classes.

An 18" shotgun is perfectly legal...but cut it down to 17.75"....boom! felony.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Another case of people not agreeing with the law and complaining about it. Marijuana is a schedule 1 drug Federally, and listed by the DEA as follows on their website:

The Libertarian in me says legalize everything, tax the heck out of it and let Darwin take care of the abusers, and plow the rest of the taxes into education, prevention and treatment. Laws against usage of anything have worked so well, in the past.

D

"Schedule I

Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:"

Note the bolded part. This is the FILTHY STINKING LIE the government uses to prohibit marijuana. The oil from the plant without the THC is used for several medical purposes, including relief from chemotherapy nausea to epilepsy. But the government won't allow widespread use because of the recreational use of marijuana.

And if anyone is going to be honest about the whole marijuana mess, then they'll have to admit that after 4 DECADES of the war on drugs, marijuana is just as readily available, if not moreso, than it was in the 1960s. The War on Drugs is a failed proposition because it attempts to control access to a natural plant instead of controlling the urge to use it. As long as people want it bad enough then they will find a way to get it. The government cracked down on methamphetamine traffic across the border in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and that just caused all the meth production to move North of the border. And then the easier methods to produce it, the 'shake and bake' labs that were further refined to a simpler process. And now you have to show I.D. for what used to be over the counter cold medicines. And the low quality nasty stuff from the clandestine labs is way worse to physical health than the big pharma pills ever were. Add in a porous Southern border and the war on drugs has been a sick joke played on the people of the U.S. that has rapidly eroded Constitutional rights.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.