Home Main Category Personal Defense

Does your choice of weapons or carry method change with the seasons?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,096 Senior Member
Mine does, since I'm more likely to be wearing an untucked shirt, or jacket during the cooler weather.

In spring & summer, it's almost ALWAYS my Kahr PM40 pocket carried. In fall and winter, it MIGHT be the Kahr, or I'll have a Glock OWB or my 1911 IWB.
You??

edited to remove the redundancy

Does weapon/carry mode change due to season? 42 votes

Yes
47%
[Deleted User]bullsi1911knitepoetNNwddodgeDiver43LMLarsenwolf049bisleyJermanatorshotgunshooter3JayhawkerJeepergatorVirginia BoysoftwarejanitorNomadacOxUncle BSpeters923 20 votes
No
52%
BPsniperNCFUBARElisamzherebobbyrlf3BufordBigslugtimcglockman0422DoctorWhobreamfishershawn1172cappy54gunrunner428tv_racin_fanLerchessMedicine Hatjackdog9temmiI'm gone 22 votes
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Yes
    In the summer when I am just wearing shorts and a T-shirt, I have my little Kahr p-380. When I start wearing flannels and such, I carry my PM40 and if needed my Glock 20.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    No
    I wear an untucked shirt all year, so no.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Bham ShooterBham Shooter Senior Member Posts: 609 Senior Member
    I wear an untucked shirt all year, so no.

Heathen.

And mine does somewhat. I can ALWAYS have the LCP on me. Even in gym shorts. But if it is cold (and it is not right now, almost 70 degrees) and I'm going to be wearing a jacket, I'll go with the XD40SC in an OWB Don Hume JIT behind my right hip.
    Buffco wrote: »
    Waah, waah... GET ON IT, DUDE.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    What weather change / season change? Here in south Florida we only have one season.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    No
    Historically, no. Wish I had the extra throw to engage in multiple guns for various situations - as much as I love 'em there is ALWAYS something more demanding in the budget. So I've carried (and dressed for) what I got, and I tend to like larger duty-type handguns over the pocket rockets for primary carry. Not too big a deal, I don't like wearing shorts much myself, and if I do they're the heavier jean/denim type that let me wear the same belt and carry the same way as my full-length britches.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Yes
    BPsniper wrote: »
    What are seasons? We don't have such a thing.
    If you'll notice, I said "cooler weather" and not "Cold" weather. Though it normally gets "cold" here a few days a year
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Uncle BSUncle BS Member Posts: 380 Member
    Yes
    I shoot the M9 so much better, so I carry it when I can. But my Sig-P238 easily fits in a pocket, for warmer weather.
    cpj wrote: »
    Wow. I never knew I enjoyed grilled foreskin.
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    No
    I usually carry my Glock 19 or 26 but is is not so much dependent on weather as much as mood. Sometimes I will carry both but that is fairly rare. I bought my LCP as a pocket backup to one of my main carry guns or on those rare occasions that I am at a formal event and even my 26 would be too hard to conceal.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Yes
    Change with the seasons??... are you kidding me? It changes with the MOOD I'm in. :tooth:

Sometimes you feel like a .45, sometimes you don't. (.44,.40,9mm)

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    Yes
    Type of holster changes----it is sweat or no sweat related.

Otherwise, the terrain and the situation dictates the firearm same as it does in summer.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    No
    I carry a Keltec PF9 90% of the time, regardless of season. Once in a while I carry my Ruger LCR or Colt 1911 Combat Commander but it isn't very weather dependant. If I ever found that "just right" holster I'd carry the 1911 more often.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    No
    My primary doesn't change, but my back up does.

Wearing a jacket lets me throw a Glock 19 in a Miami Classic for a back up.......as opposed to a J-Frame in the back pocket.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Yes
    shawn1172 wrote: »
    If I ever found that "just right" holster I'd carry the 1911 more often.
    Here you go
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/SuperTuckDeluxe/tabid/90/List/0/ProductID/1/CategoryID/1/Level/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName
    My knock off of one is the most comfortable holster I've ever used

• DogwalkDogwalk New Member Posts: 10 New Member
    Rarely, as I most always carry a snubnosed 38 in my front pocket. If wearing a sportsjacket or suit coat, I'll have my 1911 in a pancake holster. Dogwalk
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    Yes
    During the winter months I often where sweatshirts and vest, will carry my Colt Lt. Wt. Ofc. Model in my Milt Sparks Executive IWB holster. I also have a Milt Sparks 55BN that is a cross draw if I am going to be driving more, as it provides better access if sitting.
    During warmer weather I often carry my Colt Pocket Pistol .380 acp as it is smaller and easier to conceal with lighter clothing.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    Simple reply to the question................Nope!!

I carry what I am allowed to carry, my hands for self defense, my mouth to talk my way out of trouble, my feet to run away from said trouble. ( I have the option of using my brain as well, if I can remember to use it)

Comes from living in a 'restricted' society. Hope you guys Never find out what its like.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    No
    When I lived in NYC, it was pretty much like that, that is why I jumped when I was offered a chance to work as a LEO.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Yes
    Yes.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    No
    The only thing that changes for me is the cover garment. Usually a t-shirt in the summer and a jacket in the fall/winter.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • cappy54cappy54 Member Posts: 269 Member
    No
    Not at all live in sunny south florida :hug: :beer: :beer: :applause:
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    No
    Simple reply to the question................Nope!!---- That is the same
    ‘my hands for self defense
    To make rude gestures!
    ’my mouth to talk my way out of trouble’ ---- To make rude remarks!
    ‘my feet to run away from said trouble.’---- My feet to walk toward the trouble, shouting!
    ( I have the option of using my brain as well, if I can remember to use it)
    that is where the Irish and Welsh come in [thick]

p.s True Southerner

‘Welcome back from a guy that is tired of being one of the very few on here that spells words like colour properly’.

Does this include defence???:jester::jester:
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    Yes
    Yes, but only in method of cover garment. I try to use the same holster, gun, etc. Sometimes I'll use my Blackhawk SERPA if I'm wearing a heavy coat instead of my IWB holster.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • rbsivleyrbsivley Senior Member Posts: 1,166 Senior Member
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God 9 not by works, lest any man should boast.
    Ephesians 2:8-9
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    No
    In my new mystery, my private eye protagonist is testing out a new shoulder holster prior to "shoulder holster weather", joking about the frigid 50-degree winters in Houston.

My carry mode doesn't vary with the weather but it's a funny coincidence that my PI jokes about it.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    In my new mystery, my private eye protagonist is testing out a new shoulder holster prior to "shoulder holster weather", joking about the frigid 50-degree winters in Houston.

My carry mode doesn't vary with the weather but it's a funny coincidence that my PI jokes about it.

Considering that it's fiction and you wrote it, you could make it coincide with anything that you want to. You never miss an opportunity to plug your writing. It's becomming spam like.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    No
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Considering that it's fiction and you wrote it, you could make it coincide with anything that you want to. You never miss an opportunity to plug your writing. It's becomming spam like.

Or "becoming".

I thought the comment was pertinent to the topic, unlike yours. The term "shoulder holster weather" was in fact a joking phrase we used to toss around. So the reference is spot on.

The fact that it's fiction doesn't mean that I can "make it coincide" with anything at all. The book is already written, copyright, and published. I can't go back and fit it to something else, rewriting like the Democrats do.

Lemme think... when did I plug the book other than when I posted its being published in the Clubhouse? What other "opportunities" did I use? C'mon, you've accused me, so let us all know. Tell us in which thread other than where Dan and I are talking our books did I plug the novel. And if I plugged the book here, I did a damn poor job of it, since I didn't give the title.

On the other hand, I did write the damn thing. Next time you write an 85000 word novel and a publisher buys it, feel free to hawk it in the Clubhouse. Nobody will complain.

I mean, dude, it IS something that I actually created. And yes, I'm admittedly proud of having done so. Same as my short stories, magazine articles, book and movie reviews, and going back some years, my newscopy. All that stuff came from my own fevered brain, something that I actually wrote. When you get around to creating something, be sure to tell us. We all like it when a forum member shares accomplishments.

Some folks here post 385 pics of a truck they bought, and they didn't design it or build it. Nobody gripes, instead we say "great truck" and so on.

Meantime, I'm waiting, tick tick, for you to list the other times I've spammed a thread with news of my novel (other than threads specifically about Dan's or my writing, of course.)

Meow.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    No
    samzhere wrote: »
    Or "becoming".

On the other hand, I did write the damn thing. Next time you write an 85000 word novel and a publisher buys it, feel free to hawk it in the Clubhouse. Nobody will complain.

That's not necessarily true.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    No
    Big woof, who cares if someone hawks a book or not ?

I know I currently have no life or wife etc..... but the day My life is so empty that a lil old plug for a book becomes something I need complain of

:queen:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    No
    Buford wrote: »
    That's not necessarily true.

Well, we're not supposed to post live links or specifically ask people to purchase it, which makes sense, otherwise we'd be flooded with people trying to sell everything from Air Jordans to motorcycles.

So there are guidelines.
    No
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Big woof, who cares if someone hawks a book or not ?

I know I currently have no life or wife etc..... but the day My life is so empty that a lil old plug for a book becomes something I need complain of

:queen:

I try also to be very very clear in my thread titles. A general teaser like "You need to see this..." or "This looks like a great deal..." and then talk about my book would be disingenuous. If I'm talking about my book or similar I always make it very clear in the thread title. Those who don't want to read further can just skip ahead, brother, like the monk in "Monty Python". Someone posts a thread about muskie fishing I'll likely skip over it, too. No harm, no foul.